Talk

Advanced search

Travel insurance?

(5 Posts)
Letmesleepalready Tue 05-Dec-17 21:01:24

We’re flying abroad and have hired a car from the airport. I want to buy an insurance that will help us if the flight is delayed and the hire place is closed by the time we get there. (We’ll be totally stranded if that happens as the hire place is closed for Christmas) I tried looking on a comparison site, but there wasn’t anything about covering costs from airport to final destination. Is that just automatically covered or should I be looking for a specific term and cover? Thanks.

Yogagirl123 Tue 05-Dec-17 21:18:22

I used to work in travel ins many years ago, usually travel insurance covers for delays of flights, cancellation or curtailment of your trip, and of course medical, however, I don’t think the loss of the car hire would be covered as it may be deemed to be a consequential loss of which most travel ins products don’t cover. Was the car hire purchased as part of a “package holiday” or booked separately? I hope someone more current in the travel insurance industry may be able to advise. I hope everything works out ok with your flights OP.

Letmesleepalready Tue 05-Dec-17 21:33:52

Oh, that’s not great then... I bought it separately, so I guess we’re even less covered.

Letmesleepalready Tue 05-Dec-17 21:43:03

And thanks! Hopefully I’m worrying about nothing and it’ll all go smoothly!

BarbaraofSevillle Mon 11-Dec-17 11:20:45

Sometimes car hire places will stay open late for an extra fee.

I fly regularly with work but due to the restrictive and illogical way we book travel, my company would only book the one car hire place that closed before my flight landed hmm. The car hire place rung me to tell me that they closed before I could get there, but would wait for an extra £40. In the end I cancelled the booking and used taxis instead, because that worked out cheaper.

In your case, make sure they have your flight number and ask them what will happen if you are delayed. They might wait for you, and may or may not charge you extra.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now