Talk

Advanced search

Fear of flying.. help?

(8 Posts)
Northernbird11 Sun 03-Dec-17 21:04:42

I was always a nervous flyer but I didn’t mind it until last year when we had a very turbulent flight. It has really put me off flying.
My OH’s parents live in Cyprus and have paid to come over and stay with us for a couple of days before us all flying back over to cyprus together, MIL, FIL, DH, me and my 1 year old son.
I’m terrified of making a fool of myself in front of them. I know it’s the safest form of travel, but after that flight every time I feel the slightest bump I’m a nervous wreck and anticipating the next one. It’s that bad it’s crossed my mind to split up with OH for a while or something so I don’t have to go!

StaggeringOn Sun 03-Dec-17 21:24:51

Could you go to your GP to get some meds not only for the flight, but maybe for a few days before? I find it very helpful to sit near the front. I find it reassuring to watch the flight attendants working, not at all concerned about all the bumps and changes of engine noise. I find doing simple puzzles like sudoku and code words better than trying to read. I started flying again after 7 years of not doing so because I didn’t want to deprive my children of holidays, or put them off flying. It does get better. Good luck.

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 04-Dec-17 12:39:55

I would also consider booking yourself onto a fear of flying course as some airlines do offer this. This course has a high success rate amongst nervous fliers and you will learn more about how the aeroplane actually operates. Knowledge after all is power and that may go some way into allaying your very real fears.

specialsubject Mon 04-Dec-17 13:51:51

Actually you don't have to go. I hope you can get this sorted, but it is never essential to fly.

mummymeister Tue 05-Dec-17 09:51:27

I take diazepam. over the years I have reduced the dose significantly but it is the only thing that really does the trick for me. I did the fear of flying course, hypnotherapy, cbt the lot and whilst they took the edge off of it, flying was still deeply unpleasant. I now take 2.5mg of diazepam an hour before take off. it used to be 10 and then some during the flight but I am gradually working down towards 1mg. go and see your gp and get some prescribed. but do make sure you test them out a couple of weeks before to make sure they really do calm you down. good luck.

yawning801 Tue 05-Dec-17 09:56:45

Watching with interest as I am shitting myself at the thought of flying!

mummymeister Tue 05-Dec-17 16:10:04

go to your gp. get the pills and don't let the flight ruin your holiday.

Xtrabroken Tue 05-Dec-17 16:12:33

I did a desperate post on here from a hotel next to an airport a few months ago for the same reason. It's awful.

Diazepam was the only answer for me and even then I'm not very happy about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now