Talk

Advanced search

Summer holiday: know anywhere that fits these requirements?

(22 Posts)
Uninspirednamewise Tue 28-Nov-17 00:07:33

Am unusually late booking our family summer holiday because I can't decide where to book. Have previously been to Menorca, Ibiza and northern Croatia, so would like to try somewhere new. Requirements are:
- can cope with the heat in the places I've mentioned, but don't really want anywhere hotter;
-scenic location;
- not somewhere with lots of people getting drunk and loud in the evenings!
- walking distance from sea and sandy beach;
- a couple of places worth visiting as an excursion without needing to hire a car. Could be via public transport or organised tour, but want somewhere genuinely worth seeing, not something invented by tour operator in order to have a trip to flog!
- some kind of organised activity to keep 17-year-old DS happy, as he's not one for lying around in beaches, wants to be doing stuff and doesn't want to be with parents the whole time!. Could be organised walks/bike rides/watersports/other sports. He is up for most things.

Budget ideally not over £3500 for family of 4 for a week during school holidays. Could go higher for something just right.

Anyone have any ideas?

Starla268 Tue 28-Nov-17 00:21:29

We've just booked Crete for our summer family holiday. Obviously it depends where on the island you book and if you want a villa/hotel type thing but we were able to get a villa with pool and sea views for under your budget (5 bed villa) although flights will cost a bit more on top. I've not been before but there seems a lot to interest us there (boat trips to hidden beaches, lots of historical sites, interesting old towns, wineries etc). May be worth a google for you

BarbaraofSevillle Tue 28-Nov-17 09:01:02

Marsalforn in Gozo. It has a small beach or you can get the bus to Ramla bay, which is large but doesn't have much else there. Scuba diving and other water sports on the island, plus mountain biking and segway tours. Main town is interesting to walk round and there is the citadel (walled old city). Aincient ruins, what was the Azure window plus inland sea for boat trips (even though the azure window fell down, it's still worth visiting). Day trip by boat to Comino for walks through caves, blue lagoon.

Have a look at visitgozo.com

bitofabelly Tue 28-Nov-17 18:35:16

Starla..would you mind pm me the link to your villa? Would really appreciate it.

Starla268 Tue 28-Nov-17 18:50:12

Of course!

Starla268 Tue 28-Nov-17 18:54:12

If I can work out how to PM! Will investigate after dinner - I think maybe I can't do it on the app?

PaxUniversalis Tue 28-Nov-17 20:46:19

Go to Crete. What type of accommodation are you looking for?
All-inclusive resort, small B&B/family-run pension, boutique hotel or a rooms place? Are you into luxury or simplicity?
And how many of you are going?
Would you prefer to be in a proper town or a village, the end of the line type place?
Apart from going to the beach do you or your DS like walking/hiking?

Hoppinggreen Wed 29-Nov-17 13:56:04

Look at Isla Canela in Andalucia close to the border with Portugal
We have a property there and i think that area would tick all your boxes.
Not a lot of nightlife though if your teenager wants that, it’s bars and restaurants rather than clubs

Ginorchoc Wed 29-Nov-17 14:05:24

Almafi Coast would cover those points.

Uninspirednamewise Wed 29-Nov-17 23:35:48

Thank you all for the replies. Have been to Crete pre-kids and liked it, but a bit concerned it would be too hot for us in July or August. Re what type of places we like: would prefer village or small town for staying in (happy to visit larger towns for day trips ). Open minded re whether or not to go self-catering. If not self-catering, needs to have a veggie option. We are OK with fairly basic accommodation. DS not bothered about clubbing. We both like walking.

PaxUniversalis Thu 30-Nov-17 12:20:01

Uninspirednamewise - does your holiday destination HAVE to be in the south of Europe/mediterranean region? Are you open to spending a holiday in central or northern Europe? You mentioned 'sandy beach' but how do you feel about a location by a lake? I could suggest a few places but I'd need to know if this would be for you or not.

Yes, Crete can be very hot in July and August.

WhyOhWine Thu 30-Nov-17 12:29:48

Recommend Sicily. Lovely beaches and lots of interestng stuff to see.

Hoppinggreen Thu 30-Nov-17 16:07:26

Look at Bavaria and The Black Forest as well

Uninspirednamewise Fri 01-Dec-17 23:16:10

Thank you all. Some great suggestions on here! At the moment I am inclining towards Isla Canela. I think for our next summer holiday I do really want to be by the sea, but I have wondered about doing a lake holiday some time, so would still be interested in hearing about good lake holiday destinations.

PaxUniversalis Fri 01-Dec-17 23:49:46

Will get back to you tomorrow or Sunday about lake holiday in Europe. Good night.

tampinfuminragin Sat 02-Dec-17 00:10:40

Ibiza holiday village in Port de torrent caters for all ages and has everything on your list.

Hoppinggreen Sat 02-Dec-17 08:46:50

If you want any Isla Canela tips let me know uninspired, we go 2or 3times a year and know the area pretty well.
Flights to Faro are easy and it’s a 40 minute drive from there

PaxUniversalis Mon 04-Dec-17 18:46:16

Uninspirednamewise - Lake Constance, and stay in Konstanz, Germany. You'd need to fly to Zürich and travel to Konstanz by train, or drive. Konstanz has a railway station. You won't really need a car once you're there. You can just take the ferry to visit lakeside towns, such as Überlingen, Meersburg (surrounded by vineyards) or Friedrichshafen (the Zeppelin Museum is interesting). Or visit Mainau, the garden island. Google it.
Plenty of accommodation and restaurants in Konstanz.

KeiraTwiceKnightley Mon 04-Dec-17 18:50:50

Calla San Vincente, Mallorca. Honestly, perfect and ticks your boxes.

CottonSock Fri 08-Dec-17 16:15:58

We have picked Basque coast with similar needs, esp heat

Uninspirednamewise Sat 09-Dec-17 15:10:46

Thank you to everyone for your suggestions. Have now booked a holiday in Isla Canela which everyone in the family is happy with grin I have also noted the other suggestions for the future.

Hoppinggreen do you know if there is anywhere than organises water based activities (eg windsurfing, canoe tour) in English and with sensible safety standards? Thinking in particular for 17-year-old DS, who is by far the most active amongst us.

Hoppinggreen Sat 09-Dec-17 19:52:23

There is a kiosk on the beach in Summer not far from the hotels in The Marina and I’m pretty sure they do ( my DC are younger)
One thing I have heard people rave about is the zip wire over the river, not sure exactly where it is but the Tourist info centre in Town or on the beach may be able to help.
We have just booked flights for Feb half term, won’t be very warm but warmer then here.
I will look out for watersport stuff when we go and let you know if I find anything

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: