Talk

Advanced search

Xmas safari advice

(13 Posts)
pontiouspilates Mon 20-Nov-17 20:07:41

We are going on a Safari in December and I’d like some advice on what to pack. We will be on the Masai Mara staying in a fairly basic lodge. I’m guessing we won’t be required to dress for dinner? Also, accommodation, food, safaris etc are all paid for - how much money do you think we’d need for a family of four - I can’t imagine there will be a lot to buy! Also any suggestions re tipping etiquette much appreciated.

pontiouspilates Thu 23-Nov-17 19:43:59

Anyone??

unfortunateevents Thu 23-Nov-17 20:02:58

Can your travel agent not advise? Or email the lodge direct maybe? We went on safari to a very luxurious lodge and even there, there was no real dressing for dinner. We were still eating outdoors and sitting around a fire afterwards so a clean shirt and cotton pants was about as fancy as it got. For money, you might need more than you think. It's usual to tip whoever looks after your specific tent/villa, your safari guide if you have a dedicated one, also a general tip for staff at the end and sometimes extra money e.g. if you need an armed guard from a national park if you are going on a walking safari. International spirits like whisky may not be covered in your accommodation and there may be charges for laundry but you can probably pay for those by credit card. Enjoy!

wheresmyphone Thu 23-Nov-17 20:06:28

So jealous!!!!!! No, most likely you will go straight to dinner after evening drive or at most quick have a quick wash and brush up. No one goes fancy. It will get cold in morning first thing. And solid shoes: ie walking boots or strong trainers ie no sandals. Sun block. A hat. No big bright coloured clothes, just natural tones.

user1477249785 Thu 23-Nov-17 20:08:28

So I'd say it gets colder than you think at night and on early morning safari drives so take layers and some warm clothes. For money, you'll need enough to tip at the end of your stay.

wheresmyphone Thu 23-Nov-17 20:08:37

We just did one tip at end to cover everyone. No need to go mad re the amount.

missyB1 Thu 23-Nov-17 20:13:30

I’ve done safari there, it can be quite chilly at night so a warm fleece each. Long lightweight trousers to protect against mozzies. Apart from that shorts t shirts and swimming costumes. Oh and and some sensible footwear that covers your whole foot for any safari walks.
Your anti mozzie spray needs to be 50% deet, I used jungle formula- the strongest one.

missyB1 Thu 23-Nov-17 20:14:54

Oh and take some pens, pencils and exercise books for the local kids, they really appreciate them!

pontiouspilates Thu 23-Nov-17 21:02:43

Brilliant- thank you all so much, we are all getting very excited now. Great tip re pens, pencils etc. I’ll stock up!

DontJustDoItBnQItInTheStore Thu 23-Nov-17 21:28:54

Chilly at night is an understatement.

It is very cold. Unbelievably cold. Upscale safari lodges will have a shop that sell fleeces for this reason. Take your biggest thickest fleece.

This isn't chilly like an Italian evening in the summer after the sun has gone down.

It is cold like being outside in England at night in early October. You wouldn't try that in a t-shirt or a casually tossed pashmina.

Thick fleece for evening.

Agree with long sleeves and long trousers for after sunset for mosquitos.

If its a very basic lodge be careful what you eat - avoid salads etc & ice - but this depends on how basic you are talking. Food handling hygeniene can be poor unless you are in a very high end resort/lodge - and sometimes even then.

missyB1 Fri 24-Nov-17 07:43:32

Oh gosh yes beware the tummy bugs, take rehydration sachets (dioralyte) and immodium with you, we were so glad we had!

UrsulaPandress Fri 24-Nov-17 07:47:40

And a jacket with a hood for evening/night drives to protect your hair from flying things.

pontiouspilates Fri 24-Nov-17 08:19:53

Thanks all - some great advise. We are well versed with the dodgy tum scenarios and always pack a small kit to deal with this. Off today to order some thick fleeces!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now