Talk

Advanced search

Holiday booking concern

(7 Posts)
FedupNagging Mon 20-Nov-17 17:59:33

We have just booked a villa in Spain through a holiday rental company, flights booked separately, deposit all paid.

We have provided our name and address but the owner is now asking for our flight details and all our passport details as they appear on the passport.

I have no problem with the flight details but really do not want to provide our passport info - that together with our name and address is an easy way to commit identity fraud and I can't see why they need this information.

I have had a quick look online and can see that it is a requirement of a Spanish hotel to note this info upon check-in but can't see anywhere that it is a legal requirement for this info to be given to a private property owner.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this or advice please? I am waiting for the rental company to call me back - the call handler seemed very vague!

We have booked through this company many time in various countries, including Spain, and have never been asked to give full passport details before.

OP’s posts: |
AgentProvocateur Mon 20-Nov-17 18:02:41

It is a requirement for holiday rentals too, at least in the Balearics. The law has changed recently.

FedupNagging Mon 20-Nov-17 18:56:20

Thanks Agent, I've just read that 'tourist accommodation laws in some regions of Spain' have been changed so maybe this is why.

Still waiting to hear from the rental company - hopefully the call handler will look into it properly and confirm.

Godotsarrived Mon 20-Nov-17 19:17:28

Quite common to give passport details in private villas. I’ve regularly been asked in Croatia for the same information. No biggie

CottonSock Fri 08-Dec-17 16:26:16

Yes. I had to scan my passport booking a villa next summer

Ylvamoon Fri 08-Dec-17 16:28:08

Yes it's common practice... usually you have to give a copy of passport.

FedupNagging Fri 08-Dec-17 17:30:37

Thanks for everyone's replies.

I have since found out that Spain has recently introduced much stricter guidelines for letting/renting properties and for those entering the country as an anti terrorism measure ie property owner has to give your details to the authorities so when you enter the country and your passport scanned, they know who you are and where you're going.

As we have not holidayed in Europe for a couple of years, we were unaware of this and just wanted to check we were not being scammed!

Now I know, I have no problem with it, obviously.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in