Talk

Advanced search

Taking DSs, 9 and 7, skiing alone with pregnant

(45 Posts)
Goodluckjonathan76 Mon 20-Nov-17 12:59:18

I've booked a ski holiday for myself and DSs, 9 and 7, in Feb half term. We have been to the same place several years running so know the area well. Both boys love skiing and want to go again next year. The only issue if that DH (who is the boys step-dad) can't join us. He has his own kids, aged 14 and 12, who will be going away with their mum that week but he is saying that he can't come due to work commitments and that he also feels bad going away without his DSCs. It's also a massive stretch for him financially and unfortunately cannot afford to pay for all six of us. I really didn't want DSs to miss out though so have booked the trip but am now wondering if I will be able to manage both boys when nearly 5 months pregnant. I am a good skiier and the boys are good skiers but they still need help. I also feel a bit weird going away with just the kids but guessing single parents do this all the time. It also looks like DH will struggle to come on holiday with us in future so I should get used to taking the boys alone. Just wondering if other posters would do this or cancel?

Goodluckjonathan76 Mon 20-Nov-17 13:00:05

Just to correct the above. I cannot afford to pay for all 6 of us to go. I can only just afford 4 of us.

mummymeister Mon 20-Nov-17 13:51:02

personally, I wouldn't have a problem going with the boys on my own but honestly not on a skiing holiday when pregnant. sorry but I would cancel skiing and take them on another sort of holiday.

Evelynismyspyname Mon 20-Nov-17 13:54:40

I wouldn't ski while 5 months pregnant.

The only way the holiday would work is if they're happy to do full day ski school, and you just watch/ sit in the restaurant.

Holidaying alone with kids that age while pregnant should be very easy, but the choice of skiing is a bit mad in the circumstances.

sooperdooper Mon 20-Nov-17 13:57:44

I wouldn't go skiing 5 months pregnant, can you do something else instead? Can you change the booking? Taking them away wouldn't bother me but I don't think skiiing is the ideal holiday tbh

PotteringAlong Mon 20-Nov-17 13:59:52

I think you need to cut your cloth here. Skiing at 5 months pregnant is a crazy idea and if you cannot all afford to go you can't afford it. Go on a cheaper more realistic holiday.

superking Mon 20-Nov-17 14:03:23

I'm afraid I wouldn't ski at 5 months pregnant and especially not with 2 children who would need some assistance.

Could you book them into lessons? Obviously there'll be a cost attached, but it might make more sense than cancelling the holiday.

Goodluckjonathan76 Mon 20-Nov-17 15:35:54

I was planning to book them into lessons but ski with them for a bit in the afternoon. I CAN afford to pay for a family of 4 but cannot afford to pay for DSCs as well (it's literally another couple of thousand) plus they can't come anyway as they are going on holiday with their mum. The baby is quite well cushioned inside until the latter stages of pregnancy s not sure how dangerous it is TBH. But yes, maybe we do need to re-think or I need to get a friend or maybe my mum to come along. Problem is, I haven't any the harmony or any other tests yet so not sure everything is going to pan out ok with the baby anyway - difficult to make plans with so much up in the air. I did want to take DSs skiing as it will be the last time we will be able to probably for the next few years if we do have a little one.

LoniceraJaponica Mon 20-Nov-17 23:07:47

Would you even be covered by holiday insurance on a skiing holiday while pregnant? I agree that you need to change your plans.

WillowWeeping Mon 20-Nov-17 23:13:17

Low key skiing when you're 5mths pregnant is fine if you're a competent skier. The Q is whether your DC will be satisfied with "low key".

I'd be inclined to go and put them in ski lessons in morning and afternoon taked them on a couple of gentle runs

Goodluckjonathan76 Tue 21-Nov-17 11:43:55

Willow, that was my plan. DC will have to be satisfied with low key. I may be able to get DH and/or my ex to come out for a few days anyway so they can do a bit more with them.

Never heard of insurance being invalided because of pregnancy. Will check the policy though.

I would rather not cancel unless I really have to. Will lose money and kids looking forward to going. Even if we don't do that much skiing, it's still lovely to be in the mountains, fresh air, great food etc.

user1475317873 Tue 21-Nov-17 14:31:08

I will not ski while pregnant. if you still want to go, take them to ski school in the morning and do other things with them in the afternoon but I will not risk it.

Goodluckjonathan76 Tue 21-Nov-17 17:49:26

Thanks user. Might be a good compromise.

LoniceraJaponica Tue 21-Nov-17 22:20:17

"Never heard of insurance being invalided because of pregnancy"

It isn't due to being pregnant as such, but pregnant and skiing might pose a problem.

sparechange Tue 21-Nov-17 22:30:01

Will it not depend on how much you are showing by 5 months?

I skied very early on, because the baby was well within my pelvis
But by 5 months, the bump was very much there and out of the pelvis

If nothing else, you might struggle to do up your jacket and salopettes...

For me, the biggest risk of skiing always comes from someone else crashing into me. I know I’m a good skier but I can’t account for someone showing off to their mates by going too fast and losing control.
Modern skis make it so much easier to ski at speeds beyond your ability

Add a boozy lunch to this, and afternoon skiing with young children on crowded home runs isn’t a risk I would want to take

Debby08 Wed 22-Nov-17 14:41:56

I don't think it's a good idea to go out with your boys on such an activity specially when you are at your most vulnerable. There's always a high health risk when someone's pregnant and you should be very careful.

Helena17 Wed 22-Nov-17 14:49:23

Be careful! If I were you I would take extra precaution. I don't think it's safe for you to ski much more to assist your boys.

Goodluckjonathan76 Sun 26-Nov-17 22:50:07

Thanks all. All good/helpful comments. Looked into it and cannot cancel train (Eurostar), only change dates, so if we don't go I would lose £1,500. I have also paid a £500 non-refundable deposit on the apartment. So, a lot to lose if I cancel. Will look into whether I can change dates to next year but pretty sure it's not possible. Still in 2 minds. Worried that it won't be entirely safe but still think chances of something happening that would impact the baby are quite low. I will definitely either book them into group lessons every day or a private lesson so they would ski then but I would still have to do some low-key skiing with them. Such a dilemma.

autumncolour Tue 28-Nov-17 19:15:18

Would it be possible to change your plans a bit? If you could make it to somewhere like Seefeld, then you could enjoy some cross-country trails whilst the boys get their fix of downhill in ski school. Maybe you could introduce them to cross country in the afternoons?

PointeShoesAndTutus Tue 28-Nov-17 19:19:31

I'm a good skier (qualified ski instructor, spent many of my formative years teaching daily). I discussed skiing with my midwife, to include a proposal I stayed on the blue slopes and just pottered - she was of the 'no way' view - as she rightly pointed out, you just need one moron to crash into you and knock you onto your stomach, and you could potentially have a big problem. I bloody love skiing and we've skied a couple of times a year (at least) for many years, but this year I won't be going. I really would rethink plans to ski yourself. Put the kids in ski school and take a good book.

AppleAndBlackberry Tue 28-Nov-17 19:24:17

Like a PP said one of the risks of skiing when pregnant is if someone else skis into you. If you get an injury in pregnancy you're restricted on things like what painkillers you can take, having a general anaesthetic etc. If your boys are desperate to go and you can't get your money back then I would either book them into all day lessons or do other activities in the mornings/afternoons.

LoniceraJaponica Wed 29-Nov-17 23:37:22

Did you not take out holiday insurance at the time of booking your holiday? Surely this would cover you?

Goodluckjonathan76 Thu 30-Nov-17 10:16:25

Yes, I already have insurance but not sure it would cover this. Presumably getting pregnant is a voluntary act, not really unforseen.

I have my midwife appointment on Monday so will ask then. If I do go then I will either have to avoid it or keep it very low key. I hear what everyone says but I still think it's low risk overall.

Frazzled2207 Thu 30-Nov-17 15:32:30

I went skiing when pg. Not intentionally, got pg just after booking it (as a failure to conceive treat!) and I was 13 weeks. I don't think skiing when pg is inherently dangerous but I will say I didn't particularly enjoy the skiing that year because I was paranoid that someone would crash into me, obviously you can't control that.

EvaParker Mon 04-Dec-17 19:32:47

OP I think the main issue is that your DH is not prepared to come with you on the holiday. Never mind work issues he doesn't want to leave his DC even though they are away with their mum ( which seems OTT) especially given you are pregnant.

How will this work in the future, he goes one holiday with his DC while you go away with your two plus the baby? If you cannot all afford to go then either review cheaper options or come to a compromise as you cannot never go on holiday together.

If you are close enough to your ex then ask him to come !

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: