Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Catskills mountains advice needed

(8 Posts)
notacooldad Mon 13-Nov-17 15:45:32

Has anyone been here or knowthe region.
We are looking to go for around 2weeks in March and currently have an open mind to where about see will go.

We want to visit family in Detroit first and drive across I believe it takes about 9 hours so may have an overnight stay..

Has anyone got any suggestions or advice forour trip. ( 2 adults)

MissConductUS Mon 13-Nov-17 16:05:31

I live fairly close to the Catskills. What draws you to the area? It's lovely but not much of a tourist destination. This place is expensive but a real treat:

www.mohonk.com/

It's in Orange county which is the southern end of the Catskills.

notacooldad Mon 13-Nov-17 16:19:27

missConduct
I remember hearing about the Catskills when I was about 9 or 10 and it seemed lovely.it has always stuck with me. 40 years later I have decided next year I'm going to go!
We are in to hiking and love mountains.

That link looks nice and as you say, expensive!

MissConductUS Mon 13-Nov-17 16:26:22

I'm about a 40 minute drive from Mohonk House. My advice would be to stay elsewhere in the area and go there for a meal. That will get you onto the grounds and you can spend the afternoon hiking the trails, which are lovely. We go for Sunday brunch when we feel like a treat and the weather is nice.

The Hudson Valley, which is just south of the Catskills has much the same terrain and has much more to offer in terms of accommodations, museums and nice places to eat. The roads are better too. And we have plenty of great hiking:

Best Hiking in the Hudson Valley

I'd be happy to answer questions about the area if you like.

notacooldad Mon 13-Nov-17 16:32:41

I'm interested in the Hudson valley and in particular the zip wire. I love zip wires! Have you been on it?

MissConductUS Mon 13-Nov-17 16:41:36

Alas, I have not tried the zip wire. smile

Do you have any flexibility in the timing? Early March is still full on winter here, with major snow storms a good possibility. The end of March or April would be a much nicer time to visit.

Our winters tend to be very cold and snowy.

notacooldad Mon 13-Nov-17 17:16:13

I have until the end of March to use my annual leave up so I could come half way through the month.
As we are planning to see my aunt in Rochester Hills we may fly into Detroit and pick a car up from there and drive over and back.

MissConductUS Mon 13-Nov-17 18:08:06

That sounds like a good plan. I'd stay over one night somewhere midway from Detroit to NY. If you can do 6 hours the first day you'll arrive late morning to have a nice lunch and then check into where ever you'll be staying initially.

I have driven through that part of NY twice this year, once for a family function and again in August to visit some universities my son is applying to. It is physically lovely with beautiful mountains, lakes and great park lands. It is also very rural. Villages are far apart and tiny, most not even having mobile phone service, let alone nice accommodations. There are some exceptions, Ithaca and Corning being notable. If in the area of Corning, this is a must see:

www.cmog.org/

So my suggestion would be to spend a week hiking in the wilderness and then head south a bit to civilization in the Hudson Valley and do some more hiking and visiting things here, where you'll also get a decent bed to sleep in and a proper meal. smile

HTH, and feel free to pose any further questions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now