Talk

Advanced search

Canaries Over Christmas

(5 Posts)
kittenge Thu 09-Nov-17 22:30:49

My ex is having my daughter for a week over the Christmas period (not Christmas its self) so I'm going to make the most of it and going abroad for a break with a colleague.. She's mentioned the Canaries. Anyone been there in December? What's the weather and ea like?

GinisLife Thu 09-Nov-17 22:32:49

I went to Fuerteventura over Christmas last year. Weather was ok. Not boiling but hot enough to sit out in. Need a cardigan at night. The pool was absolutely freezing though !!!

BarbaraofSevillle Fri 10-Nov-17 08:51:20

In my experience during different years:

Lanzarote mid December - six days of warm sun, mid 20s, one day of cloudy/rain. Sea too cold to swim in without wetsuits.

Tenerife first week in January - warm mid 20s all week and sea was warm enough to swim in. This may have been an anolmoly because we've also been to Lanzarote in February and the sea was freezing.

It can be cool at night, so you'll need to wrap up if you want to sit outside bars and restaurants. If you pick a hotel with an indoor or heated pool or spa, then you can still use them in poor weather.

There's quite a lot to see on Lanzarote that doesn't need good weather like caves, volcano park, vineyards and Cesar Manrique's arty stuff.

It can be hit and miss but you can be lucky. You can increase the chance of good weather by going to the southern side of any islands so the area between Costa Adeje and the airport on Tenerife rather than Puerto de la Cruz even though the latter may be nicer/more authentic or Playa Blanca/Puerto del Carmen on Lanzarote rather than Costa Teguise.

I'd definitely go for it. Or if you are just wanting a relaxing hotel/pool holiday, the weather might be better in Cape Verde but there's not much to do outside the hotels.

Frouby Fri 10-Nov-17 08:55:14

We have been to Tenerife Christmas week. It was warm from about 10am to 3pm then it starts getting cooler. You can still sit outside at night you just need a jacket or cardigan.

Definitely go to the south tho, we went to Peurto de la cruz and it was cooler than los cris which we visited a couple of times.

We are going 13th to 20th December this year too for a cheapy holiday for dps 50th. We have a heated pool at our hotel tho, it was too cold without it.

Lemonicelolly1 Fri 10-Nov-17 09:01:17

We went to Gran Canaria for Christmas a few years ago and it was lovely.
Was mid twenties each day, but as pp said did need a cardigan or light jacket at night.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now