Talk

Advanced search

Iceland - Is it worth it?

(35 Posts)
roconnell Sat 04-Nov-17 20:26:05

Soon to be DH and I are considering Iceland for our honeymoon in September. Hopefully with a trip to Copenhagen tagged on to the beginning or end. We plan to do the usual, Reykjavik and the blue lagoon.
If anyone has been please tell me about it, what to do, what not to do, and is it worth it? Is it a good option for a honeymoon?

Ricekrispie22 Sun 05-Nov-17 09:14:43

Well it really depends on what type of things you and your future DH like doing. If you're outdoorsy and after something a little different, then I think you'd really enjoy it. With spectacular scenery, thermal baths, fine dining and cosy hotels it could be very romantic too.

Very close to the Blue Lagoon is The Bridge Between Continents. It's a 15m foot bridge spanning Europe and North America. After crossing the bridge, you can pick up a personalized certificate from the Reykjanes Information Center verifying that the carrier did indeed walk all the way from Europe to America!

I don't think many people visit Iceland without taking a trip around the Golden Circle. Not only is it conveniently close to Reykjavik, but it has some of the most iconic places in Iceland –Þingvellir National Park, Geysir, and Gullfoss. This route is easily drivable in one day, and definitely should not be missed. 5 hours if you just do these tree, but 8 hours if you stop at other places along the way.

Another brilliant day trip from Reykjavik is the south coast which encompasses the spectacular glacial Lagoon Jokulsarkon.

Explore the lava tunnel Raufarhólshellir, one of the longest and best-known lava tubes in Iceland. It is located just 30 minutes from Reykjavík. The one hour tour takes you to the part of the tunnel that is easily accessible for everyone. The extreme 3 hour tour is to the bottom of the cave.

I also recommend that you do a 3hr whale watching trip with Elding, and there are a few companies which do pony trekking on the famous Icelandic ponies.

TittyGolightly Sun 05-Nov-17 09:19:11

Iceland is my favourite place on earth (after Wales grin) so yes, GO!

I dislike the Blue Lagoon with a passion though. It’s so commercial. The secret lagoon at Fludir on the golden circle is much nicer IMO.

Don’t scrimp on how long you’re there. In Sept you can do Reykjavík and explore other parts of the island.

Wh0KnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Sun 05-Nov-17 09:24:20

Yes, I went 20 years ago and it was amazing. The Blue Lagoon was low key and quiet and just amazing back then though. We went to a place where you could stand with one foot in Europe and one in America over a little crevasse in the ground. Jokulsarlon has to be seen to be believed, as do some of the waterfalls.

TittyGolightly Sun 05-Nov-17 09:35:09

You can also dive between the continental plates if that’s your sort of thing.

SureIusedtobetaller Sun 05-Nov-17 09:39:16

Yes it’s lovely.
Blue Lagoon is crowded but we still really enjoyed it. Lots to see in general.
Iceland is very expensive for food and stuff of course.

Piglet208 Sun 05-Nov-17 09:39:16

I went to Iceland in February and we fell in love with the place. We did the usual trips: Blue Lagoon; Golden Circle; Northern Lights but there are all sorts of other activities to do based on your interests. It's a very magical place and I would think perfect for a honeymoon as you can have cosy evenings after seeing the extraordinary beauty of the landscape during the days.Just bear in mind it is very expensive to eat and drink there. Who wouldn't want to visit a place where the the people all believe in trolls and magical beings grin

SmiledWithTheRisingSun Sun 05-Nov-17 09:43:26

It's beautiful 💚

dontcallmethatyoucunt Wed 08-Nov-17 17:16:59

We're going next Summer with DD's for a week. We are active and like doing not sunbathing. We are heading for:

Iceberg lagoon
Viking museum
Earthquake museum
Journey into a glacier
Whale watching
Various lagoons
Golden circle
Black beach
Various waterfalls
Local thermal swimming by pools in each town we will stay in.

Just staying in the south and (lower) west of the island as so many things to see and I don't want to driving all the time.

bitofabelly Sat 11-Nov-17 09:06:35

Wow don’tcallmethatyoucunt (like your username) ...just googling some of your activities...wow! My kids would love that and like you we like alternative holidays as such.
Could you tell me a bit more about your itinerary..towns you plan to stay in, what route? How much is it costing? Pm if you prefer...thanks so much

ptumbi Sat 11-Nov-17 09:11:10

Iceland is amazing - driving from Keflavik to Reykjavik is like the surface of the moon!

I love it there. The people are fantastic (nuts!) and the scenery is stunning. The Blue Lagoon is one of my favourite places. The waterfalls, geysers, mountains etc - absolutely amazing. We went in Feb one year and saw the Northern Lights at 2am... in the snow and ice landscape

Love it.

Crumbs1 Sat 11-Nov-17 09:13:03

Love Iceland and it’s ‘otherworldliness’. So much to do and so romantic. Wrapped up tightly standing in a remote spot watching the Aurora is truly awesome. Swimming outside in a wild remote spot when there’s a blizzard is just fantastic. Don’t go if you are only interested in food or shopping though!
Copenhagen is possibly my favourite city and so different to Reykjavik. Tivoli at night is romantic. Sitting under blankets outside the bars and restaurants of Nyrhaven is romantic. It’s just a lovely city.

Sparkletastic Sat 11-Nov-17 09:16:36

It’s an amazing and unforgettable place. Perfect for a honeymoon I’d say. We have friends that live there.

timeisnotaline Sat 11-Nov-17 09:19:58

Iceland is amazing. You do need to like outdoorsy stuff. We did the landmanalaugar (sp) hike a few years ago.blue lagoon may be touristy but fun, and a great location for coming or going from the airport.

tribpot Sat 11-Nov-17 09:26:21

It's an amazing place, highly recommended.

In addition to the above, we did:

Inside the Volcano

Super Jeep Tour of the Golden Circle and Langjökull glacier

Eyjafjallajökull Exclusive.

HoldMeCloserTonyDanza Sat 11-Nov-17 09:28:08

People who have been both in winter and summer, which would you recommend for a first visit? It feels like winter has possibility of northern lights but makes everything else a bit less accessible?

Trip would be with young (primary age) DC.

TittyGolightly Sat 11-Nov-17 10:08:55

Have done both. NYE is amazing but we didn’t see the NL despite chasing for several nights. Brief stopover this August and saw them twice - once on the plane and the next night 5 minutes out of the city!

SummatFishyEre Sat 11-Nov-17 10:11:09

Blue lagoon is ridiculously overrated! Otherwise Iceland is beautiful and there is tons to do. Riding Icelandic horses is a must imo!

TittyGolightly Sat 11-Nov-17 10:18:39

DD was just turned 5 the first time we went and almost 7 the second and she’s as enchanted with the place as I am. She wants to go when it never gets dark next time (April-June). grin

Trailedanderror Sat 11-Nov-17 10:19:47

How can you cross continents? confused
I've looked a map and everything.

Flomper Sat 11-Nov-17 10:22:58

didnt realise there was so much to do!

endofthelinefinally Sat 11-Nov-17 10:23:23

Iceland is on my bucket list.
I wonder if I have left it too late though.
I am not in great health and my mobility is deteriorating.
Do people who have been think I should go?

TittyGolightly Sat 11-Nov-17 10:44:34

How can you cross continents? confused

Iceland formed through the movement of 2 tectonic plates. Each is a continent (North America and Eurasian). So you can cross between them.

www.icelandontheweb.com/articles-on-iceland/nature/geology/tectonic-plates

TittyGolightly Sat 11-Nov-17 10:48:02

I am not in great health and my mobility is deteriorating.

I’m sure there’s a way for you to experience Iceland. There are lots of tours that will take you close to the various attractions in comfort.

You might find this post helpful (there are some blogs posted within).

www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189970-i594-k10235631-Mobility_Scooter_rental-Reykjavik_Capital_Region.html

Shiftymake Sat 11-Nov-17 10:49:01

Funny enough was talking with my dsd last night about going Iceland together and exploring 🤗 I have not been there yet but is on the top of countries I wish to visit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now