Talk

Advanced search

Ever flown with a leg injury? Advice on airport help needed

(12 Posts)
Jeffjefftyjeff Wed 01-Nov-17 21:12:34

Can anyone help me. I’ve hurt my calf muscle running and have been resting (as per advice from a physio friend) today but need to fly on Friday. I can walk, but it hurts, and I know all the airport walking will make it worse. And steps really hurt. Can I ask for help? I thought that was for properly needful people but not sure I’ll cope otherwise.

If I try to get some form of help, do I ask the airline in advance or some other source? It’s heathrow, if relevant.

NotPennysBoat Wed 01-Nov-17 21:17:53

Can you get a doctors note, or some crutches?

PestoSwimissimos Wed 01-Nov-17 21:20:24

Just ask for assistance at the airport. You will get a wheelchair or driven on a buggie to the gate.

lljkk Wed 01-Nov-17 21:22:55

Do they expect tips for assistance, in UK, like driver of the carts? They sure do expect a tip in the USA.

Jeffjefftyjeff Wed 01-Nov-17 21:30:11

Thanks everyone! Sorry to be dense but do you mean ask airport staff for assistance when I get there? I think I’d be more comfortable with that than trying to sort something out in advance as not sure how bad it will be

lljkk Wed 01-Nov-17 21:37:04

You can probably ring a main phone line to explain what help you'll need. They'll tell you how to get that help. Just lots of phone calls. Sorry your leg is bad. I had to get DH with broken leg thru Houston airport once. That was.... er, interesting.

PestoSwimissimos Wed 01-Nov-17 21:44:32

Yes!! On my way back from skiing we just asked at the desk. It gets added to yr passenger profile I think. I got a wheelchair in France + priority boarding. On arrival at Gatwick was met at the plane door with a wheelchair & taken to one of those buggies. Buggie took us all the way through the Airport, fast tracking passport control! I was on crutches though, so would have found it extremely difficult to manage without help.

PurplePillowCase Wed 01-Nov-17 21:47:36

yes ask for airport assistance.
had to use it when I broke a foot on holiday.
was pretty straightforward, but do add at least one hour for extra waiting time.

drquin Wed 01-Nov-17 22:02:05

Embarrassing as it may be, do ask in advance ..... much easier than trying to sort it on the day. Depending on where you’re travelling, it is either the airline or airport’s responsibility (airline in Europe I think) but very often both will contract a third-party to do the physical moving of you. Uk airports recommend 48 hours notice to your airline.

Jeffjefftyjeff Wed 01-Nov-17 22:02:55

Thanks everyone, really helpful. I love mumsnet at times like this!

TheFairyCaravan Wed 01-Nov-17 22:07:14

Ideally you should give 48hours notice that you need assistance.

Go online and check with your airline, there is usually a phone number for special assistance, or the Welfare team. Give them a call and they can arrange the assistance at the airports both ends.

redbirdblackbird Wed 01-Nov-17 22:11:49

I broke my ankle on holiday and rang the airline the day before travelling. It was all arranged so once I got to the desk they had someone to meet me, wheelchair etc. No doctors note necessary

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: