Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Venice in half term

(9 Posts)
Theworldisfullofidiots Wed 18-Oct-17 15:39:53

Me and the dcs are off to Venice in half term. Dd is 15 and Ds is 11. Both are little foodies and dd is into art.
I'd really love some suggestions including potentially a trip to Padua.
Thank you!

HolyShet Wed 18-Oct-17 15:43:33

Well the Biennale is still on so loads of contemporary art in the Giardini and the Arsenale. Might be getting a bit tired in parts but it's been a good edition.

For prep you must watch Death in Venice, Don't Look Now and read the Comfort of Strangers. Not for the 11 year old though.

Theworldisfullofidiots Wed 18-Oct-17 15:49:57

Thank you!
Eating? I have vague recollections of a Rick stein weekend... I know the kids (as would I) would prefer to eat as the locals...
I'm going to get the comfort of strangers! Just Google it.
I also vaguely recollect a Michael fibrin book set there...

Theworldisfullofidiots Wed 18-Oct-17 15:50:37

Michael Dibdin!

TheDogsMother Wed 18-Oct-17 16:08:55

The Peggy Guigenhem Collection is fabulous and in a great area for general wandering. There are some nice restaurants about but I wouldn’t describe most as high end dining. We loved walking miles and finding the little chicceti bars. Italian version of tapas

Theworldisfullofidiots Wed 18-Oct-17 16:12:08

Is Padua worth a trip or would we be better off sticking to Venice?

TheDogsMother Thu 19-Oct-17 18:53:17

Depends how long you visiting for. There is so much to see in Venice that you might be pushed for time. If you do have a bit of time Verona is easy to get to and a very lovely city.

LoniceraJaponica Sat 21-Oct-17 15:59:57

Visit some of the islands and stick with Venice. Away from the canals it is very atmospheric.

Don't forget that you will be charged a cover charge at restaurants on top of your food. Also, meat/fish dishes are just that. If you want veg/carbs they are extra.

Theworldisfullofidiots Sat 21-Oct-17 19:27:09

Thank you all!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now