Talk

Advanced search

Travelling with an infant

(28 Posts)
Ilovechocolatetoomuch Mon 16-Oct-17 07:51:29

Hi
We have been trying for a second baby for 2 years. We just booked our holiday for next August and have now found out we are expecting.
We don't want to cancel the holiday as we have already told ds#1 and worried his nose might be shoved out a bit already.
Anyway my question is, with a seven week old would you take a bugaboo for them to sleep over night in and as their main form of transport or would you take a maclaren techno and a travel cot?

Ilovechocolatetoomuch Mon 16-Oct-17 20:52:56

Anybody ever taken a baby abroad before?

mirmc Tue 17-Oct-17 11:30:00

I'd take a bugaboo, that will be nice and comfy but could you postpone the holiday for a month or so? If you are late, the baby might only be 5 or 6 weeks old. Might be a bit of a rush getting a passport. Depends on where you are going, but could August be very hot for a newborn? Is DS1 at school? Are you tied to school holidays?

SandLand Tue 17-Oct-17 11:40:17

I'd ask the place we were staying if they had a travel cot, and if so, I'd borrow it, if not, take it. Take the McLaren wherever baby is sleeping. Flying with expensive pushchairs is a mistake.
I'd also take a sling.

Mummyloves09 Tue 17-Oct-17 11:48:42

@ilovechocolatetoomuch I am also doing a similar thing. However we are traveling with a sling and sleepy head cacoon (my baby will be 9 weeks at the time of travel).

I would say the lighter in weight and one you don't mind getting damaged.
Good luck smile

Ilovechocolatetoomuch Tue 17-Oct-17 11:49:54

We have booked it all separately via easyJet and private villa. My son starts school September so we are tied to the holidays. It has air con and is right by the beach so hopefully nice breeze. We have been trying for almost 2 years so we thought we would book it early never dreaming this would actually be the month.
I just don't know what to do about sleeping arrangements , can a 7 week old sleep in a travel cot? Also would the maclaren be as comfy for them to nap in as the bugaboo? I am tempted to cancel but I think we would loose 1000 and have a very disappointed ds.

Ilovechocolatetoomuch Tue 17-Oct-17 11:59:53

Also 7 weeks is if baby is 2 weeks late. Potentially it could be 9 weeks which sounds a lot better. My ds was so big he went into a cot at 9 weeks so imagine this one would be similar and be fine in a travel cot.

PestoSwimissimos Tue 17-Oct-17 12:04:05

So you’re thinking of taking your baby overseas before you’ve started its immunisations?

2014newme Tue 17-Oct-17 12:05:06

Think you need to postpone tbh

Tumilnaughts Tue 17-Oct-17 12:26:00

I took my dd overseas at 8 weeks old and used a silvercross umbrella push chair one where the back goes all the way down so probably like the mclaren and she napped in that in the day. For nighttime we had a travelcot which we could adjust like a proper cot and she was quite happy.

I wouldn’t worry too much about the heat. People have babies in hot climates too. Just give them extra liquids (I breastfed so this just surmounted to more milk feeds) and keep them in cool clothes and out of the sun.

FYI use nappy cream religiously as I forgot and because of the heat we ended up with a bit of nappy rash.

Tumilnaughts Tue 17-Oct-17 12:27:14

Also passport only took a week to come.

Ilovechocolatetoomuch Tue 17-Oct-17 12:36:15

Pesto. They will have had their first set at 8 weeks and also (fingers crossed) will be breastfed. We are going to a Greek island and I've checked out it has a hospital if anything goes wrong. I read they still have your immune system till 8 weeks??

Tumilnaughts Tue 17-Oct-17 12:39:17

We had literally had her immunisations two days before we flew so just made it but I’m pretty sure they’ve still got your immunity for a while after birth. Plus herd immunity as you’ll be in Europe still, but I’m not exactly a medical expert. grin

mirmc Tue 17-Oct-17 13:37:49

Would your travel insurance cover you? Could you go in early June?

PestoSwimissimos Tue 17-Oct-17 13:42:57

But OP You stated baby travelling at 7 weeks and you have no idea whether baby will be premature or late

Dinosaursdontgrowontrees Tue 17-Oct-17 13:45:41

I took my son to Italy when he was 6 weeks old. He slept in bed with us. We didn't take a buggy, just a sling but on reflection if I did it again I would of taken a stroller, personally I wouldn't risk a bugaboo on a flight I've had two buggys damaged on flights.

ems137 Tue 17-Oct-17 13:49:58

We took our 7 week old baby to lanzarote this summer. We stayed in a villa and booked flights separately just like you.

We flew a few days before he was 8 weeks so no immunisations. The health visitor was not concerned at all and just said not to take him in the sea. We didn’t even take him in the pool and he was breastfed with no dummy so there was no chance of germs really from anywhere.

We had a travel cot and took our Quinny Mood with Maxi Cosi car seat. We also took a good sun shade for the buggy. He didn’t like the brightness so stayed inside most of the time but coped just fine with the heat.

You will be fine and I really don’t see any need to postpone.

His passport came back within 2 weeks!

corrianderisthedevil Tue 17-Oct-17 13:53:10

Slightly different but I'm going away tomorrow with my 3 DS. Youngest will be 14 weeks so older than you're planning but will just let you know my sleeping arrangements........pram is a double stroller (but lays flat for baby to sleep in for naps if out and about), sling for the airport when buggy is not available, I'm taking a sleepyhead for the baby to sleep in as my nearly 2 year old will be in a travel cot. If you haven't already got a sleepyhead then it might be a good solution for you. Read up on them carefully though as there has been some recent advice about 'sleep positioners'

corrianderisthedevil Tue 17-Oct-17 13:54:19

Also agree with pp on breastfeeding and passports. Ours took around 10 days to come back

IDoLikeARainbow Tue 17-Oct-17 13:59:02

You can get a pop up travel bassinette, smaller than a usual cot, we used that at 6 weeks. link

IWouldLikeToKnow Tue 17-Oct-17 15:03:46

When my son was about 10 weeks we travelled from Ireland to the UK to visit my husband’s family. We had an iCandy pram. The carrycot was suitable for overnight sleeping. As far as I know it was to do with the material used. Check that your bugaboo is suitable and then there will be no problem. I imagine it is.

IWouldLikeToKnow Tue 17-Oct-17 15:05:09

When my son was about 10 weeks we travelled from Ireland to the UK to visit my husband’s family. We had an iCandy pram. The carrycot was suitable for overnight sleeping. As far as I know it was to do with the material used. Check that your bugaboo is suitable and then there will be no problem. He is almost three now and we’ve taken his pram/buggy on the plane on numerous occasions and there has never been any damage to them.

IWouldLikeToKnow Tue 17-Oct-17 15:06:48

Also, I would recommend a sling or carrier. I used the Beco Gemini and found it great for airports.

Ilovechocolatetoomuch Tue 17-Oct-17 15:54:49

Thanks everyone. I am thinking more travel cot and maclaren. We have taken the maclaren every year and it's been fine but our ds was 10 months when we went hence being unsure.
Pesto, baby is due mid June so 7 weeks would be if it was 2 weeks late so worst case scenario.
At the end of the day if everything isn't 100% than obviously we will just forfit the holiday, hopefully though it can go ahead as planned.
I was thinking about getting a little UV pop up tent for the beach so we can set up a little camp. Little fan that clips on buggy, lots of fluids, they don't need much else at that age except 450 nappies and muslins.

Orangebird69 Tue 17-Oct-17 16:02:40

I flew to the ME when ds was six weeks. He had a sleepyhead and his pushchair (an Urbo2). I wouldn't take just a sling for during the day - it's handy to be able to lay the baby down some here if it's too hot, at lunch etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now