Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Tax system in greece

(8 Posts)
taytotayto111 Fri 13-Oct-17 22:23:30

I've just book our first holiday in Greece today for travelling in May 18. I was told by the travel agent we need to pay a local tax or about €3 a night to the hotel. Fair enough. My friend I'm going with has just text me saying she read a review of the hotel which states we can't drink our own water by the pool side or if we do there's a tax that needs to be paid. Is this correct?

BarbaraofSevillle Sat 14-Oct-17 09:23:27

The water is probably a separate issue. Many European countries have a tourist tax. I've paid it in Spain, Malta and Portugal so it's likely that the 3 euro you describe for Greece is this. It can add up to quite a bit - we paid 30 euros for two for a week in Spain recently.

Hotels often charge corkage if you want to drink your own drinks on their property because they want to sell you theirs at inflated prices, so that sounds like what the reviewer is referring to. It's not a tax, it's to make up for lost revenue. Depending on how much it is, it might or might not be worth paying as bottled water in supermarkets costs next to nothing whereas hotels can charge a couple of euros per small bottle.

Hersetta427 Sat 14-Oct-17 19:21:27

We came back from Rhodes in August and there certainly wasn't a per night tourist tax there. We are going to Majorca for half term and there is one there but it only applies to adults and is reduced by 50% from day 9 of your holiday.

specialsubject Sat 14-Oct-17 21:59:57

It seems that Greece is introducing a tourist tax from Jan 1 2018. E3 a night for 4 star.

Pay on arrival.

taytotayto111 Sun 15-Oct-17 08:01:47

Thanks guys x

fizzytonicplease Sun 15-Oct-17 08:05:22

The water is a separate tax, when the tax people randomly come round the hotel owner has to show receipt for all items of food and drink round the pool or they can be fine thousands of euros for one 50cent water that is in accounted for.

fizzytonicplease Sun 15-Oct-17 08:05:48

**isn't account for

taytotayto111 Sun 15-Oct-17 16:32:03

Wow that's steep. Just wondered as I've never had a problem drinking my own bottle water at the pool before. Anyway I'll buy at hotel and keep it for the pool side and drink my own in my room.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now