Talk

Advanced search

Mum guilt - Girls only getaway

(12 Posts)
caringinthechaos Thu 12-Oct-17 11:06:11

I need some help! As a mum of an energetic 5 year old, I sometimes feel like I get enough time alone, with other adults. SOo I am now planning a short break to have a weekend away purely for mums! Pampering, Quiet, Sleep and obviously some compulsory prosecco! Is this something you would be interested in? Or is it just me that normally feel massive guilt about treating myself!

WitchesHatRim Thu 12-Oct-17 11:08:07

No it wouldn't interest me as I don't get the whole spa pampering thing.

Treating yourself is fine though.

seven201 Thu 12-Oct-17 13:37:55

No need to feel guilty. Go and have fun!

EveryDayIsLikeMonday Thu 12-Oct-17 18:46:42

I do this every year and don't feel guilty.
Have a great time.

QueenOfAllBiscuitsandMuffins Sun 22-Oct-17 13:37:17

Whilst going to a spa is not for me I'm deffo a fan of getting away without the kids (or husband necessarily) . When ds was 1 I went on a girls only sailing holiday for a week! Both husband and child survived...

Dozer Sun 22-Oct-17 13:40:24

Totally fine, but if your friends don’t fancy it or can’t afford it that’s fine too.

I work FT and personally prefer short bursts of time to myself, eg an hour’s exercise class. I decline “girls’ weekend” trips because for me they’d bring more stress than relaxation/fun.

reallyanotherone Sun 22-Oct-17 13:52:32

Is this something you would be interested in?

No:
Just mums? No. I have childless female friends I wouldn't exclude. Personally I'm not bothered about "girls" only either.

What do you mean by pampering? Stereotypically girly spa days? Make up? Nails? Shopping? No thanks.

Compulsory Prosecco? So if I say no thanks, I'll have a coke, am I held down and forced, or excluded from the group? I don't drink and don't like the giggly Gin o'clock culture, so if I thought a weekend was going to be nagged about drinking while everyone else got shit faced, no thanks.

Your post sounds like a business pitch- are you thinking of setting something up?

Personally I'd like an active weekend. I'm no fitness freak but ski-ing or water sport for example, couple of hours in the day, with good food and comfortable surroundings, with no obligation to join in. Anyone who wants to come is welcome, no excluding on gender, child status, or alcohol choice.

SmallBee Sun 22-Oct-17 13:55:18

Yes I love it. Apart from the booze, and I usually go by myself. But two nights at a spa with a book is heaven. I try and do it once a year if I can.

Taffeta Mon 23-Oct-17 19:33:05

I go away for a 2 night European city break every year with a close friend of mine. It's bliss.

I'm not into spas or beaches, but do like a G & T, some gentle sightseeing, good food and wine, cafe culture, a mindless natter and a mooch. Without the constant need to think about other people.

dontcallmethatyoucunt Fri 27-Oct-17 05:09:16

I go every year on a ski trip with my female friends. Don't feel guilty in the slightest, why would I? I give my DD's my time and attention the rest of the time. I've made many compromises in my life for them, one long weekend a year isn't going to hurt anyone, well not in our family anyway. No one is going to go without food or shoes to pay for it.

flumpybear Fri 27-Oct-17 05:17:27

Yes and frequently do this with friends and also alone too sometimes as I also love spa weekends or ever night trips .... my husband does the same, he’s sporty and often goes away training or racing with or without me and the kids - it’s such a sensible idea, yes I miss my family whilst I’m away but Skype them.
A friend of mine calls it ‘carers leave’
Not only doesn’t it serve the purpose of actually getting some respite but also it gives you something to look forward to
I do make sure we have great family holidays too though so center parcs most years, weekends away with friends and our kids all together and a family holiday for a week or two once or twice a year
Enjoy .... and don’t feel guilty

whiteroseredrose Fri 27-Oct-17 05:37:23

Yes! We used to do this every year. About 12 of us each time. Venues ranged from a Youth Hostel to fancy spas depending on who was organising. Really good chance to unwind and have a laugh. The men used to have weekends away doing assorted sports at different weekends too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: