Talk

Advanced search

Anyone been to Cuba with children?

(10 Posts)
Marzipanmodelling Thu 12-Oct-17 10:08:49

Three DC ages 6months-5years looking at Cuba for three weeks over Christmas holidays. We're active and hoping to get a few days cycling, is there anywhere specific to avoid? Is it cheap/expensive when you get there? Flights are £2.5k for all of us or can you recommend anywhere else warm to take children at that time of year that you've been to? Thanks

Marzipanmodelling Thu 12-Oct-17 16:07:40

Bump

KarateKitten Thu 12-Oct-17 16:22:59

Hmmm, this is a tough one. We brought our 9mth old and it was great. We brought all his food (pouches) and formula but to be honest I wouldn't have been happy feeding my kids in Havana. My DH who eats with his hands in orphanages in Calcutta without problem got very sick despite eating in good places all the time. So I'd be very uncomfortable with a small child eating there. The beach was great, very chilled (food terrible) and beautiful. Havana was a place for adults really. Rum, cigars, late nights and loud music. Perfect with a baby as he slept in the buggy as we enjoyed the city. Transport was dodgy as fuck. No seat belts, dangerous taxis etc. Had to hold the baby well away from the massive holes in the foot wells of the taxis! We took risks we were comfortable with but others would be a bit aghast I'm sure.

We didn't see any other tourist children the whole 10 days we were in Havana. MAybe one family with a 10 yr old.

Marzipanmodelling Thu 12-Oct-17 17:32:47

Thanks Karate for your experience, that's good to know. We take what others would consider as risky holidays and trips-sailing abroad and cycling to festivals etc so was quite up for trying something different but think as the baby is so little and will just be being weaned it might be worth spending the money going somehwere I feel safer with all 3DC.

Frazzled2207 Thu 12-Oct-17 17:39:16

It’s a great, friendly and safe place to go but i’s be a but weary going off the beaten tourist track with kids due to lack of food options if nothing else.

However in the AI resorts you’d be fine

Marzipanmodelling Thu 12-Oct-17 22:44:52

Thanks Frazzled

mummymeister Fri 13-Oct-17 09:32:08

we went to belize and had a brilliant time. there was a lot to do there for everyone and is off the beaten track but did feel both safe and had brilliant food. none of us got sick there. if you want more info message me and I will send a trip report.

Queenofthedrivensnow Fri 13-Oct-17 11:39:25

Yes I went to Cuba with dd1 who was then 2.5. It was ok. That's as far as I would go.

If you must go please realise you need to take a lot with you as you cannot buy; drink bottles (as in sippy cups), and kind of anti bacterial product for cleaning kids stuff. I think I found wet wipes and nappies but not easily.
We stayed in varadero and did an overnight to Havana. The food choices are very limited it's not like all inclusive in other places.

Whitney168 Mon 16-Oct-17 10:55:23

I never get ill anywhere, and have been all sorts of places that other people normally complain about.

I was so ill in Cuba - at least 10 days of our holiday, going from a meal in Havana. 3 days of eating nothing, the rest of it I could just about manage bread and cheese.

Never again!

OuchLegoHurts Mon 16-Oct-17 11:04:16

I got so so so sick in Havana too, on my honeymoon. To be honest I wouldn't dream of bringing my kids to Havana.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now