Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

70th birthday villa holiday....

(11 Posts)
Panicmode1 Mon 09-Oct-17 18:17:23

My mother wants to take 10 of us (6 adults, 4 children) away for a week, maybe two in the summer for her 70th birthday. She has said she wants to be in a villa, or in private accommodation, not a large hotel complex, with a pool, but walking distance to a beach/activities for the children (sailing, waterskiing etc).

The budget is around £10-£15k which has to include flights so is less generous than it sounds! Can anyone recommend anywhere, or perhaps a company or travel agent that might help find somewhere a bit off the beaten track/different (but safe!).

snackarella Mon 09-Oct-17 18:18:07

Have a look at homeaway.co.uk x

PoundsShillingsPence Tue 10-Oct-17 08:17:44

Off the beaten track can mean a long way from supermarkets / bars / restaurants - is that what you want? Have you considered how you will get too / from the airport? Will you be hiring cars? How many bedrooms do you need?

adifficultdecision33 Tue 10-Oct-17 08:25:32

We stayed here and it was lovelyhttps://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/VacationRentalReview-g303804-d3781186-Villa_la_Perla_Cavtat_elegant_and_stylish_seaview_villa-Cavtat_Dubrovnik_Neretva_Count.html

You can get a boat to Dubrovnik and do other day trips.

mummymeister Tue 10-Oct-17 08:45:44

have a look on airbnb where you can put in both a sleeps option and number of beds option as well. I would take a look at Crete we stayed over near ag nik and it was lovely.

Panicmode1 Tue 10-Oct-17 08:59:05

Wow, adifficultdecision33 - I love that - it's beautiful. Definitely going to suggest that one!

Thank you for the AirBnB and Homeaway recommendations - I know that I could do that ,but I was hoping for a magic travel agent fairy to do the legwork for me....but I will look!

And Pounds, we don't mind being off the beaten track - in fact this summer the 6 of us were in the middle of a French valley with only one other farm nearby and it was blissful! But my mother wants to be by the seaside/have a sea view and for it to be hot, so that's what I've got to try and find for her.

Thank you all for your suggestions - I'll also look at Crete too.

Friendzone Tue 10-Oct-17 11:10:18

I was going to suggest somewhere like Denia, Moraira or Javea in Spain through homeaway because there are a lot of big and beautiful villas out there and it is cheap to fly into Alicante, meaning you can spend more money on big and beautiful villa...but not sure it would qualify as off the beaten track...
I think your best bet would be to start on skyscanner and see how much flights are to some of the places you fancy.

Friendzone Tue 10-Oct-17 11:21:07

This for example...wowee...

www.homeaway.co.uk/p613209a#summary

Panicmode1 Tue 10-Oct-17 12:57:42

Wow Friendzone, that's amazing. Too many steps for my (mildly) arthritic father but what a fabulous place!

Sounbelievablydull Thu 19-Oct-17 21:39:08

It's such a challenge because until you actually arrive you never know what precisely you are getting.
I sometimes think a cheap reconnesce trip would be worthwhile as it's such a huge disappointment and expense if it's not exactly right.
We stayed in a wonderul villa 7 bedrooms easy walk to begur costa brava this year near the sea but no sea views.
We also stayed in a great house with views of Capri last year but very very steep walk to the village - are you drivers?
V happy to forward you these if you would be interested?
We have booked two villas every year for the past 8 years and despite lots of research there is often an unexpected fly in the appointment.

Panicmode1 Tue 07-Nov-17 11:50:46

@friendzone - my father overuled and said he liked it v much, so they have booked the one you linked to - thank you so much - I don't think we'd have found it/thought about Spain. Roll on 2020 grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now