Talk

Advanced search

Malaria tablets

(15 Posts)
CakeNinja Sun 08-Oct-17 10:31:37

Do you go to your GP for this? Seems like a waste of an appointment, but looking at pharmacies etc, it seems to be hundreds and hundreds for a course for 2 adults. Is that the going rate or is there something I'm missing?
Tia!

FunkyBarnYardBroom Sun 08-Oct-17 10:41:40

You can just buy from a chemist. smile worth seeing a nurse to see if there are other treatments you nees before travel though. 30 tablets cost us 50ish quid recently

Farahilda Sun 08-Oct-17 10:44:23

Yes of course you go to you'd GP, unless you happen to be a malaria expert and know for sure which is the best form of chemoprophylaxis for you and your proposed itinerary. Even if you end up having to pay for a private prescription, you still need that assurance it's for the right thing.

And of course it gives them a chance to remind you about bite prevention, and to ask if you want further advice on travel immunisations.

CakeNinja Sun 08-Oct-17 11:52:15

Fine, Thankyou, that's what I'll do.
It was my first thought but then the travel website links you to lloyds pharmacy where they say you can order direct which was working out at about £3/400 for the pair of us.
Just seemed like a waste of a very in demand appointment if they were just going to signpost me elsewhere anyway.
I'll try and make an appointment in the morning smile

FunkyBarnYardBroom Sun 08-Oct-17 13:55:52

A GP wont see you. You'll need to see a practise nurse.

FunkyBarnYardBroom Sun 08-Oct-17 13:56:31

Oh and it will be a private prescription as you cant get them on the nhs

whyioughtta Sun 08-Oct-17 14:03:02

We just went to our GP/ nurse travel vaccinations & malaria. They said they could do the vacinnations (at a fee obviously not on the NHS) but that we should just go to a chemist for malaria tablets as they won't give prescriptions for it

CakeNinja Sun 08-Oct-17 16:59:41

So I shouldn’t make a gp appointment? Gah!
It’s so difficult to even ring and speak to anyone there, I’ll have to try during my break tomorrow. I have a Lloyd’s on my way to work but it doesn’t open until 9, I might call in on my way home.

donkeyontheedge Sun 08-Oct-17 21:58:04

Our practice nurse just uses the Fit for travel website to check which vaccinations are needed and which anti-malarials are recommended for each country.
Asda are the cheapest I've found for non-branded generic Malarone (atovaquone/prouanil) - £1.25 per tablet earlier this year. No need for a prescription, but probably best to call first and speak to the pharmacist to make sure they have enough in stock.

ronswansonstache Sun 08-Oct-17 22:07:13

Many surgeries will run a travel clinic/ travel nurse on set days. I'd tell the receptionist what you want the appointment for & they'll advise who offers the service you need locally.

Many Boots/ Lloyds do clinics for a small charge (£30 or so) plus the cost of the prescription, which might be more convenient.

dementedpixie Sun 08-Oct-17 22:12:15

It's the practice nurse that organises the travel vaccinations at our clinic. She works out which jabs and whether malarials are required and if so which ones. She then organises any prescriptions required as some are on NHS and some are private prescriptions

CakeNinja Mon 09-Oct-17 00:06:10

Thanks everyone, I will try and call the surgery tomorrow and see what they advise and call in to lloyds on the way home depending on what the surgery say - if u can get hold of anyone!

Farahilda Mon 09-Oct-17 06:42:15

It'll depend on your individual GP practice e how it is set up for who sees whom about travel health.

I'm not sure you can get the full range of anti-malarials without prescription (in partic, doxycycline)

mummymeister Mon 09-Oct-17 09:41:47

make sure that you know what the side effects of the various anti malarials can be. I have had really bad reactions in the past and now avoid malaria places. not everyone deals with them very well.

CakeNinja Mon 09-Oct-17 12:49:45

Just to update you, spoke to my doctor who said I can speak to the pharmacy, no need to see her smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: