Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Travel money

(12 Posts)
Bear9 Tue 03-Oct-17 12:37:16

After Monarch Airlines took all my money yesterday,iv had to get other flights and bring trip nearer..does any of you lovely ppl know the best place to change up money(euros) someone has told me about a post office card you put the money on and get the euros out when u need it away,does anyone know anything about that?

2014newme Tue 03-Oct-17 13:13:39

I use the post office money card I find it handy. You use it to pay instead of your normal card

Bear9 Tue 03-Oct-17 13:29:28

Do all shops/ restaurants take the post office card?and can you get money out with it in spain..this is my first time just me and my 11yr old daughter and i am soooo nervous,and want to get everything right:/

inpainandgrumpy Tue 03-Oct-17 13:32:25

I'm not sure when you're flying/how much time you have, but I'd definitely recommend the Monzo card - basically a pre-pay debit card. Martin Lewis (Money Saving Expert) recommends it. It seems to always have the best exchange rates. It was so reassuring when we were in Italy this summer as whenever you used it, it notified you by its app so you knew exactly what you'd spent (in £ aswell as euros) and where. Also allowed us to keep track of our spending. The only place we heard of that it wasn't accepted was motorway tolls.

Bear9 Tue 03-Oct-17 15:21:01

Thank you,i will definitely have a look at that too..that ones sounds nice and easy for me..am going to spain

specialsubject Wed 04-Oct-17 14:03:39

Also remember always to pay in the local currency if a card machine offers the option. Choosing sterling will mean a dreadful exchange rate.

Bear9 Wed 04-Oct-17 18:12:08

Tried that monzo card but there is waiting list for them to be sent out..i go in 12 days..looked into the post office card and it all looked so complicated,about charges etc.this is the first time doing it alone with 11yr old,all abit daunting😣

dementedpixie Wed 04-Oct-17 18:15:09

We took some cash with us (think we got it in asda) and then debit and credit cards when required. Nationwide had cards that don't charge commission - used one for cash advances and the other for purchases

annaharvey Thu 05-Oct-17 12:01:25

Thomas Cook has got a facility to carry money in a card. You can go to another country and withdraw money in the local currency. I think its name is Thomas Cook Global Money Card. Just google it and get the nearest office address. You can visit and check with them. How long do you have for travel? The process for loading money in card might take 1 day.

hoyhoy44 Sun 08-Oct-17 15:54:38

we have used caxton card before, think its a pre paid debit card, handy to use on app while away

somewhereovertherain Mon 09-Oct-17 03:28:15

Post office rates are pretty rubbish. The best way I found was taking out a creation credit card which is fee free abroad and uses the MasterCard day rate. We took cash out on the and paid it off straight away - as no charge for taking it out but does charge interest from the day it’s taken out.

Margomyhero Tue 10-Oct-17 17:30:05

I have used Travelex's card in the past. It was the same kind of thing - you pre load it then use as you would a debit card. If you run out of money it's easy to reload it from your bank account

I didn't renew it when it ran out - we now just take a wad of cash (which i order online using Travelex or Sainsburys bank). It's a much better rate if you pre-order online. I also have a Halifax Clarity Credit Card. There are no currency exchange charges. I use this for in store purchases, hotel payments etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now