Talk

Advanced search

How packed will DLR/non-tube London trains be this Thursday?

(12 Posts)
Uninspirednamewise Mon 02-Oct-17 21:31:15

I only occasionally travel to London, but am due to attend a work meeting in Canary Wharf this Thursday when I gather there will be a tube strike. I am thinking I could catch a Southeastern train from Kings X to Stratford and take the DLR from Stratford to Canary Wharf, but am wondering whether non-tube trains in London are going to be so packed that it might be impossible to get on. Can any Londoners who have used these before during tube strikes please advise? TIA

OP’s posts: |
BendingSpoons Mon 02-Oct-17 21:35:00

What time is your meeting? In rush hour, every route in central London will be heaving if there is a strike. If you are able to go earlier/later you would probably be better off.

BendingSpoons Mon 02-Oct-17 21:41:09

Although the route you have mentioned sounds reasonable in that Southeastern is essentially out of London and then Stratford is the first stop. There is still a risk somewhere like Stratford could be overcrowded though. Hopefully someone who knows the area better can advise.

TheClacksAreDown Mon 02-Oct-17 21:49:25

Honestly I wouldn't if you can avoid it. The jubilee line and dlr both go from Stratford to CW. In rush hour when both working, both have plenty of people standing before they even leave Stratford, never mind pick up at following stations. The dlr goes about every 4 minutes the tube 2 and a tube train takes a lot more than a dlr. getting onto the dlr will be nightmarish then you've got it in return too.

SunFinished Mon 02-Oct-17 21:51:30

It will be a nightmare during rush hour.

Smallinthesmoke Mon 02-Oct-17 21:52:54

Will the people you are due to meet be coming in?
I remember dragging myself to work in a tube strike (took 1.5 hours longer than usual, loooooong walk) to discover no one else had bothered. Silly me.

DandelionAndBedrock Mon 02-Oct-17 21:55:12

Actually, in my experience they tend to end up closing Stratford station ticket barriers so you can change lines but can't get in, so it might be ok?

Likely to be heaving though.

marmiteloversunite Mon 02-Oct-17 23:08:50

Probably sensible to change the meeting to a different day if possible. Better for all involved.

EmpressOfTheSpartacusOceans Mon 02-Oct-17 23:15:37

Everything will be heaving and the roads will be at a standstill. It will be fucking awful.

Uninspirednamewise Mon 02-Oct-17 23:45:57

Thank you all for the replies. Smallinthesmoke, yes I am wondering whether I will turn up to find that most people haven't bothered, which will make the whole thing much less worthwhile.

OP’s posts: |
BendingSpoons Tue 03-Oct-17 19:03:23

Luckily the strike has now been suspended.

BendingSpoons Tue 03-Oct-17 19:03:25

Luckily the strike has now been suspended.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in