Talk

Advanced search

Give me your best packing light tips?

(27 Posts)
ringthelandline Wed 27-Sep-17 13:10:02

DH & me, one week, 20kgs to share. Beach and sightseeing. Any great tips? Budget carrier.

ShotsFired Wed 27-Sep-17 13:18:49

Wear heaviest stuff/layers on the plane, buy toiletries there and bin before you come back.Be ruthless with make up if you wear it. Eyeliner and mascara sees me through 3 weeks - no powder, and certainly no concealer, foundation, tinted primer blah blah. No point and too hot!

Be actually reasonable about what you will wear, which will likely be some variant of t shirt and shorts. Don't kid yourself you need evening shoes and a gown, that sort of thing. Take less undies and rinse/wash in the shower to rewear another day.

Get a haircut that allows you to air-dry loose or tie it back - I usually have mid-back length hair but lop it off to shoulder length when going to hot places. I invariably tie it up every day anyway, so not having it brush my neck is nice!

ringthelandline Wed 27-Sep-17 13:30:10

That's so true about make up, I think I'll be slapping it on but can rarely be bothered.
Will easyjet let me take toiletries in a separate bag? My flight bag will already contain clothes too.

WeeMadArthur Wed 27-Sep-17 13:30:23

Take clothes that you can mix and match so that you don't need as many outfit combinations.

Margomyhero Wed 27-Sep-17 13:40:33

Take fewer clothes than you think you will actually need. No matter how lightly I pack i always have a couple of items which come home unworn. Try and ensure that most pieces will go with others - so not too many colour combos. Plus no one else will notice or care what you wear - so keep it simple. It's very freeing smile

Shoes- travel in trainers/walking around city shoes, pack flip flops and a pair of sandals.

Toiletries - keep it light again. I find that a travel size of shampoo/conditioner will last me the week. (DH has no hair ;) ) We share a roll on deo, toothpaste etc. Moisturiser - I tend to buy a Nivea Soft - which is great for face, hands and body. Is v cheap too. Sunlotion - buy P20 or Ultrasun - smaller bottles and only one application per day so you won't need as much.

Most hotels have a hairdryer.

One day bag (use as your cabin handbag) plus a small evening one (which can double up as a make up bag in your hold luggage)

If you take books - I tend to purchase form the charity shop - once I have read them I leave them behind for someone else to read.

OhTheRoses Wed 27-Sep-17 13:42:01

Are you putting a bag in the hold? You can buy toiletries from boots once through customs. You will need a beach towel each. Good walking sandals/trainers/jersey/flip flops. Shorts/tee shirts for day time, a few bits for dinner but I usually manage with one sun dress, pashmina and a skirt or cotton trousers.

I think you are pushing it to be honest and I'd use the hold as well as overhead.

ShotsFired Wed 27-Sep-17 13:45:41

@ringthelandline Will easyjet let me take toiletries in a separate bag? My flight bag will already contain clothes too.

You and your husband will each have a clear plastic bag with the <100ml containers in it for your liquids when you go through security each way.

ringthelandline Wed 27-Sep-17 13:46:26

Right, I'm listening to you. Have halved underwear and taken out everything that isn't navy or white. Have also removed none essential toiletries hair oil, face mask and reduced trainers to one pair. Have kept supergas for just in case.
Can I wear the same sweater every day?
Thanks very much, some great tips.

ringthelandline Wed 27-Sep-17 13:49:42

Ohthe, we've got one hold bag to share.
Shots, I was thinking more about buying toiletries once we've gone through security. My flight bag will be full so I'd need to use a separate carrier.

OhTheRoses Wed 27-Sep-17 13:59:06

Check the long range forecast via sweater. You can buy stuff overseas? I've bought really cheap Primark towels before now and left them behind so I can bring back nice continental things. Have also taken almost worn out sandals or walking trainers and left them behind too - and you know that pile of knickers that are past their best - pack, wear, bin.

ShotsFired Wed 27-Sep-17 14:03:09

Sorry - misunderstood you. Yeah you should be fine with a duty free/post security carrier bag.

Do double check your airline though. Some are super uber strict - but I've never come across one that doesn't allow bags from stuff bought airside.

Margomyhero Wed 27-Sep-17 14:20:18

Why not pack your toiletries in the hold luggage? Less to worry about on board then.

Another one who wears old clothes and bins. Undies for sure. And I generally have a couple of vest tops or t shirts past their prime which I will wear on the trip then leave behind.

justaweeone Wed 27-Sep-17 14:38:28

With easyJet you can also take a decent size hold bag as well so you should have plenty of allowance
Hold bag can be as heavy as you like as long as you can lift it into the overhead locker
When we go away for 2 weeks as a family of four we only take one checked in bag plus 4 hold bags and often come home with stuff unworn
Saying that we always stay at a villa and have a washing machine

Margomyhero Wed 27-Sep-17 15:27:36

justaweeone I think you are confusing your hold and cabin luggage grin

Hold refers to the checked in bag - which goes into the hold of the aircraft

The smaller bag you can carry on board is your cabin luggage. Some airlines do have a weight limit on these too - some are 5kg, 7kg or can be 10kg.

justaweeone Wed 27-Sep-17 15:35:48

Margo
You're right, I mean cabinhmm

MollyHuaCha Wed 27-Sep-17 16:09:51

If your flight is direct, you can buy all your toiletries at the airport after going through security. They won't count towards your hand luggage allowance. You can throw them away at the destination on your last day.

MrsMarigold Wed 27-Sep-17 16:17:38

20kg is loads, I always share a bag with DH - two pairs shoes each, (one to walk, one pair slip-ons/flip/flops) three pairs of pants each, shorts x2 each and shirts x2, one skirt and 2 x bra plus cozzies, plus a cardie or hoodie. Sun screen, sunglasses, book, minimal make-up. Done.

ringthelandline Wed 27-Sep-17 16:51:40

Thanks all. The added complication is that we were going to take some sporting equipment but I've managed to hire some. We do need the shoes though.
Easyjet say one cabin bag 56x45x25 .

MrsCaecilius Wed 27-Sep-17 16:58:34

Kindle instead of books. Wear knackered shoes/socks/knickers and bin them. Wash stuff in the shower and dry in the room. Sarong as beach towel/cover up/ wrap etc (much less room than a towel). 1 dark jumper for evening (won't show the dirt as much). Pashmina/scarf etc against the chill on the plane and as an extra layer if the evening's chilly.

Have fun!

BarbaraofSevillle Thu 28-Sep-17 09:13:47

20 kg plus hand luggage isn't really 'packing light', it's plenty for a hot weather holiday for a couple, so I wouldn't bother at all with all these 'take stuff that you don't want to bring back and bin it' or 'wash your knickers out in the shower every night' tips.

It's plenty for a week, honestly it is, now that you've said you're hiring sporting equipment. Just take a week's worth of clothes and toiltries each, plus phones/books/chargers etc. Job done.

Mum2jenny Mon 02-Oct-17 12:34:43

Remember what you used last to me you went to a similar destination. Me, I pack far too much stuff and use about 30% of it, max. I need to follow my own advice 😀

Mum2jenny Mon 02-Oct-17 12:35:04

To me = time

janinlondon Mon 02-Oct-17 12:58:03

People saying you can take duty free or toiletries bought in the airport in a separate carry on bag in addition to your carry on limit - you may be lucky but in fact their regs say no you cant. Ryanair BA Flybe and Easyjet all made us jettison stuff or squeeze it into our carry on over the summer. So much for buying our toiletries at boots airside....

Caulkheadupnorf Mon 02-Oct-17 13:02:12

20kg is a lot. Honestly.
Roll clothes rather than folding as it takes up less space. No idea why. Plan the outfits you’ll wear so you aren’t just throwing stuff in and hoping for the best. Do you need to take towels? Buy micro fibre ones from decathlon or similar as so much smaller. Check that the case you’re using isn’t heavy when it’s empty - I find a rucksack often easier as if weighs less.

specialsubject Wed 04-Oct-17 14:06:50

20kg is heavy. It is a limit, not a target. Be kind to your kids, take less and use less fuel.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now