Talk

Advanced search

Holiday recommendations for Christmas

(16 Posts)
oeufdepaques Tue 26-Sep-17 23:00:48

We are loooking to go away for xmas 7-10 days. 2 dc, 3.5 and 4 months when we go. Ideally somewhere warm but also open to any ideas as we are stuck!

We would like somewhere with culture, nice places to eat out, towns to visit and fun activities for our 3.5 year old. Not AI.

Destinations we have considered but not gone for:
- Panamá: too far and complicated with a 4m old
- Seychelles: not the right season
- Mauritius: left it too late, accommodation is pretty much booked up. Plus another long flight
- Canaries: too much of a Brit abroad environment? Happy to be corrected on this
- Skiing: we will go for a week in feb when conditions are better

First world problem I know.

Thanks.

bananafanana1 Tue 26-Sep-17 23:26:44

With kids I'd say the canaries- I've been investigating Lanzarote recently. Thee are a number of beautiful fincas in the countryside.

blakening Wed 27-Sep-17 01:24:55

Looks interesting. We are also planning to have an 8-day holiday in Prague-Vienna-Budapest. My kids chose the 3 cities instead of going to Disneyland simply because they don't like mascots. haha.

oeufdepaques Wed 27-Sep-17 02:43:13

Not sure about countryside in Lanzarote as we'd like to be in walking distance of a village for eating out. Do not want AI but also do not want to cook.

Blakening, that sounds nice.

Have also been thinking about Oman. DH says we can book what I like! But that's hard when I'm not good as decisión taking blush

2014newme Wed 27-Sep-17 08:47:32

In some cities and towns a lot shuts down over Xmas so I'd pick somewhere with great beaches and good hotel facilities. Also a creche so you can get some child free time. Tots too and baby boltholes are websites where you can filter by credit he facilities and other baby friendly elements.
There are some very smart 5 star hotels in the canaries, sovereign families is a good site.

2014newme Wed 27-Sep-17 08:48:33

Caribbean would fit the bill. If you can stand 8-10 hour flight with small be by and toddler

specialsubject Wed 27-Sep-17 12:59:47

Plus jabs and tabs, and the fact that quite a few places have been destroyed.

dontcallmethatyoucunt Wed 27-Sep-17 16:55:31

the long flight puts a few options away. I'd head for Sri Lanka and the Maldives I think, but that might be a slog with a very small one.
... my comment after being in Majorca with a 3year old and a 4 month old: that was the worst holiday I've ever had.

I barely left our villa as someone was either eating or sleeping. The times that restaurants opened made life difficult and frankly no one had a holiday.

I wouldn't discount AI too quickly.

ringthelandline Wed 27-Sep-17 16:59:02

If funds allow I'd say Caribbean too. They have lovely villas with private pools and lots of activities for all ages.
www.viceroyhotelsandresorts.com/en/sugarbeach

AndersArms Wed 27-Sep-17 17:00:53

We're going to Sri Lanka with DC aged 6, 5 and 1 at Christmas. Staying in a mix of accommodation but some AI when we first get there to acclimatise and deal with jet lagged DC. Then couple of air B&B inc one with extended family whose holiday will overlap with ours.

dontcallmethatyoucunt Wed 27-Sep-17 17:10:53

AndersArms sounds fab!

BarbaraofSevillle Thu 28-Sep-17 09:09:17

Lanzarote can be quite green in places in winter. Seeds lay dormant in the volcanic soil and suddenly bloom if there's a bit of rain. Apart from Costa Teguise and the new part of Puerto del Carmen, it's not really Brits Abroad either.

Also plenty to do if the weather isn't great - it can be warm and sunny or can be a bit rainy/changeable in the winter - we went mid December last year and had 6 hottish sunny days and one day where it rained quite a bit.

Lots of bungalows, apartments and villas and Playa Blanca at the southern end is a nice area with lots of restaurants and supermarkets so good for eating out. On the evening of the 5th January there is the Three Kings Parade which DCs will love.

sukitea Tue 03-Oct-17 22:33:14

Old town Malaga. Lots to see culture wise, great food and lots of lovely little parks for the DC. You can either hire a car or get the (buggy friendly) bus further along the coast to for more touristy sites. We went to the Crocodile Park in Torremelinos and there was about 15 people. In the summer months there are 100's.

sukitea Tue 03-Oct-17 22:34:26

Meant to say that we were there for the switching on of the lights in Malaga and it was amazing.

yasmin05 Wed 04-Oct-17 07:24:09

I'd say the Caribbean is a perfect travel spot. It's an amazing place and even if travel time is a bit of a problem, I think if you get there you'd realize it's all worth it.

Allthebestnamesareused Thu 05-Oct-17 13:02:38

Thailand

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now