Talk

Advanced search

Rome- independent, or package?

(24 Posts)
Shockers Mon 28-Aug-17 09:36:10

Hi, I've just booked an hotel in Rome for Oct half term (free cancellation), and was just about to book flights, when out of curiosity, I looked at packages, which seem much cheaper.

If you've had a good experience of a package deal to Rome (especially if it was from Manchester- BA only seem to do the good deals from London), could you share your experience with me?

I don't know much about holiday companies, other than one we've used for activity holidays a couple of times, as we usually book independently, and often use Generator hostels in cities (the one in Rome appears to be in a dodgy area).

TIA!

OP’s posts: |
ProfessorLayton1 Mon 28-Aug-17 09:43:34

We flew easyJet and sorted everything ourselves- very easy to do, very easy to book stay independently .. lots of places to eat.
we did this few years ago..

Shockers Mon 28-Aug-17 09:53:20

Thanks!

I was only thinking of a flight + b&b package (if at all), as we like to try different places to eat.

The hotel I've booked looks great, so I'll probably stick with it, but I was curious as to why packages appear cheaper.

ErrolTheDragon Mon 28-Aug-17 10:03:07

We had a great deal from expedia a few years ago - jet2 flight, fantastic hotel. No food included - local coffee shop for brekkie, loads of places for dinner. I think sometimes expedia can get excellent rate on top hotels if there's a big conference the week before or after disrupting normal booking patterns. In general, my guess is that package companies give hotels assurance of occupancy.

Hulder Mon 28-Aug-17 10:38:57

We did independent, it was v easy and cheap - flights Easyjet to Ciampino, AirBnB and then picked everything we wanted to do ourselves. We wanted to eat out and felt it wasn't worth paying for a hotel breakfast every morning - had coffee and a pastry at a local bakery every morning instead which was much more fun, picking a different one everyday.

Over all it wasn't a city where we felt we got a benefit from being in a hotel over an AirBnB. We liked having the whole apartment to crash out in after walking about on the cobbles.

BTW Rome is somewhere where it is worth booking tickets online to places you want to go eg Forum etc in advance to avoid queues.

Hulder Mon 28-Aug-17 10:42:38

Ooops - might have been Ryanair. Ryanair does Manchester to Ciampino. Short taxi to centre - taxi driver will point out Appian way, Baths of Caracalla etc en route.

Or there's Jet2 to Fiumicino.

Shockers Mon 28-Aug-17 11:02:55

@Hulder- I've never booked an Airbnb before- do you pay the whole balance on booking?

Hulder Mon 28-Aug-17 12:19:11

I can't remember and neither can DH! But someone on Mumsnet will know.

Always pick somewhere you get the whole apartment, with several reviews and where the host is described as helpful. We always make sure there is aircon and wifi as well.

Shockers Mon 28-Aug-17 12:51:48

I've found a really gorgeous one with fantastic reviews, but I think it might be gone by the time I get paid and it's been a heavy month for spending! I was hoping I could secure it with a deposit, but it's unclear on their site.

Hulder Mon 28-Aug-17 12:59:22

I would say don't panic as there are so many! And there are lots of nice locations in Rome.

I think you do have to pay the whole fee, not a deposit.

somewhereovertherain Mon 28-Aug-17 14:45:08

We did it independently flew man-Rome back to Edinburgh with Ryanair - saved about 300 doing it that way and just got the train to Manchester back from Edinburgh.

Stayed at the crowne plaza bed and breaksfast 50-60 a night for a family room. Then just used public transport and did the sights.

Shockers Mon 28-Aug-17 17:15:13

Thanks all! smile

LoniceraJaponica Tue 29-Aug-17 22:53:34

We booked a package with Jet2, because I'm a wuss and was concerned about how easy it was to get to the hotel from the airport. With hindsight it would have been pretty easy, but it was dealing with the unknown that threw me.

Having said that, our 4 night break was absolutely brilliant. October is a good time to visit Rome. It is warm, not hot, but be prepared for showers. It does get dark quite early though.

itsmehello Tue 05-Sep-17 09:10:43

The payment on airbnb depends on the host. One thing you need to watch out for is that you pay through the airbnb channel. There's a scam around where the host asks you to pay to a different bank account which looks similar to airbnb or asks for your card details in an email. When you arrive you'll find out that the place doesnt exist and airbnb don't take any responsibility.
I would actually book the flights myself, ask an independent tour operator such as atotours for help finding accomodation and then check their offer against booking.com.

Goshthatwentwell Tue 05-Sep-17 17:26:17

I would look at flights + hotel on the airlines. And not worry too much.

The super cheap deals look good ( travel zoo have lots from Broadway travel) but they are miles out. Yes it's not that difficult to get in but who needs it when you have limited time. I book independently but BA have good package prices.

I would also say hotels are the same or cheaper than Booking.com if you go direct . They often throw in freebies , worth a quick check online.

Shockers Tue 05-Sep-17 17:57:06

Thanks. We've found that with booking.com too, Gosh. I've booked a couple of times via them and the hotels always tell us to book direct next time. We've found that the least desirable rooms are usually sold through them too.

Shockers Tue 05-Sep-17 17:58:28

I'll be very careful to check about Airbnb payments too, it's!

DoorbellsSleighbellsSchnitzel Tue 05-Sep-17 18:55:44

We're going to Rome early November with DC (8 & 10) so watching thread with interest... Booked flights in the BA sale earlier this year but still need to book accommodation.

Can anyone recommend any specific hotels or areas in the city to search on airbnb, and also direct me where to look for prebooking attractions/tours?

Thank you!

Shockers Wed 06-Sep-17 16:40:45

I've decided to go to the coast this half term (Cinque Terre) and book Rome for the spring. I just couldn't make the flights work and our dates weren't flexible.

I have booked my first ever Airbnb though-inspired by this thread!

BarbaraofSevillle Fri 08-Sep-17 08:55:03

I think packages are cheaper because the airlines block book rooms with the hotel/apartment block. It might also help them fill flights.

I've found packages with jet2holidays and easy jet can be much cheaper than booking the flight alone and getting the accomodation and transfers separately. We've been on a few jet2 packages and been very happy with everything. Definitely look to see what these companies offer in Rome - it's likely that they both fly from Manchester.

Note that the city break packages don't include transfers, but with cities, you can usually get a bus/train/tram easily enough.

Helenluvsrob Fri 08-Sep-17 09:09:27

Easily done independently. Bus ciamoino to Rome is a pain though. Last time I took a local bus to the metro and got in that way ( google is your friend)

Keel Fri 08-Sep-17 09:13:35

We had a four night package with Jet2 a couple of years ago. Was very good value and hotel was nice and pretty central. Breakfast was also included. Don't go paying for hotel transfers though as it's straightforward to get train/bus from airport and it's a lot cheaper. Rome is ace gave a great time.

itsmehello Fri 08-Sep-17 09:48:08

My friend works as a tour guide in Rome. Let me know if you want to get in touch with her for a tour or for some advice,

Shockers Fri 08-Sep-17 14:28:42

Thanks all!

We're going next year now, itsmehello- I've booked a break to Cinque Terre instead this time, as I just couldn't get the flights to Rome to fit. That would be great for when we do go though!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in