Talk

Advanced search

Did anyone not get on a ferry because it was full (despite having a ticket)?

(7 Posts)
dameofdilemma Thu 24-Aug-17 13:38:33

Ferry back to UK from France - some cars seemed to have been left behind (ours was the last allowed on). Do ferries overbook (like planes) so there's a chance you might not make it on?

I felt really sorry for those left behind, some had arrived earlier and been queuing far longer, than us. What happens to them? Do they get on a later ferry and bump others off?

Its put me off getting the ferry again.

OP’s posts: |
Pizzaexpressreview Thu 24-Aug-17 13:40:02

I've sometimes turned up for the earlier ferry on the off chance that they'd have space/left plenty of time to arrive on time.

Could it be people like me rather than those with a ticket?

GraceGrape Thu 24-Aug-17 13:42:24

No, not even on the one that we barely arrived in time for. Could they have been queueing early for the next ferry?

HighlyCompetentExWife Thu 24-Aug-17 13:45:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

tinytemper66 Thu 24-Aug-17 19:28:22

What sometimes happens if people 'forget' to tell the ferry that they have bikes or trailers and then instead of letting them wait they put hen on and those who don't have said items are left at quay side!

WyfOfBathe Thu 24-Aug-17 19:35:31

I've taken a lot of UK-France ferries (Brit who grew up in France) and this has never happened. Like PP have said, more likely to be people waiting for the next ferry or people with a problem with their booking.

Or people who fail to read their booking information and turn up at 08h00 instead of 18h00 looking at my DM

dameofdilemma Tue 29-Aug-17 08:55:01

Phew - never occurred to me people might turn up on the off chance, esp in peak season!

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in