Talk

Advanced search

Copenhagen in new year

(6 Posts)
user1475317873 Sat 19-Aug-17 12:05:34

Planning to spend new year in Copenhagen and wondering what is there to do at tha time of the year? will everything be closed. We will be there from the 29th to the 2nd and are hoping to go to Tivoly gardens but not sure what else is to do there?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated

OP’s posts: |
rhodanunn Sat 19-Aug-17 12:21:53

My favourite city in the world.

New Year is mainly celebrated at home with friends and family but there are fireworks in the main city hall square. Restaurants are open, but like London it's usually a set menu, needs to be booked in advance and very touristy.

Most things are open, most people cycle no matter what the weather - which will be very cold. Nørrebro is Copenhagen's version of London's Shoreditch, so eclectic populations, arty and of course subscribe to cafe culture which is Copenhagen-wide. Go out for brunch everyday. The parliament buildings (Christiansborg Palace) are very beautiful, particularly in the winter festive light.

There are plenty of museums and art galleries - the botanical gardens will be open as well so can go and warm up in some of the hot houses.

(Freetown) Christiania is good for a veggie meal and conversation and a joint

Ultimately, you'll have a warm and snuggly time, drink plenty of coffee and eat as many flødeboller as possible.

2014newme Sat 19-Aug-17 12:25:02

We went at new year. Tivoli was closed. The Danes really went for it big time on new years eve they go mad with the fireworks.
We had a great time.

user1475317873 Sat 19-Aug-17 13:47:08

Thank you. We have never been so looking forward to it.

I think Tivoly gardens is open until the 31st of December so it should be fine to visit in one of the days we are there but not new year.

Any recommendations for restaurants to spend new years eve?

rhodanunn Sat 19-Aug-17 15:56:20

I'm not too sure about whether you could spend the entire NYE there, but here a three favourites (I am veggie so maybe be a bit skewed for you)

restaurantgorilla.dk/forside/
In the meat packing district, behind Tivoli. Very off-duty model-casual-trendy (not so casual in the price)

www.veve.dk/
Veggie, big warehouse space

108.dk/
Noma's "baby" restaurant

user1475317873 Sun 20-Aug-17 09:29:18

Thank you. Will check those out

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in