Talk

Advanced search

Oyster cards? Travelling from the North and can't get to grips with it.

(47 Posts)
AgadorSpartacus Mon 31-Jul-17 19:14:35

At the end of August I'm taking the train from Manchester to Hitchin and traveling back 2 days later. DS has a performance workshop and I thought this would be pretty easy.

There's me and two children 15 and 9.

Manchester to Euston to kings cross to Hitchin. DH is at work and apparently I'm a perfectly capable adult who can do this sort of thing.

I've booked the tickets online and presume the price included the tube travel in between and that when I pick them up from the machine I'll have tickets for everything.

I want to go into London with DD while DS is at his thing. So do I need Oyster cards for both of us? How much would you recommend putting on? What's the deal with zones? Are all the touristy places within zone 1?
Sorry took ages getting to the point but now that I've given it more than two minutes of thought I realised I dont know a lot and googling doesn't throw up anything I understand. If anyone could explain slowly I'd really appreciate it 😊

OP’s posts: |
PrivetDrive24 Mon 31-Jul-17 19:16:21

If your DD is 10 or under she'll go for free with you

PrivetDrive24 Mon 31-Jul-17 19:17:38

Most touristy things are in zone 1. If you spend up to 6.60 in one day through zones 1 & 2 it wont charge you anything extra. You dont need to buy an oyster card if you have contactless, its the same price

Trills Mon 31-Jul-17 19:19:44

If you have a contactless bank card you can use that to beep in and out of the Tube. Use the same card and it will add it up automatically.

Under-10s travel free. With your 9 year old, go to the wide gate (the one for luggage), beep your card and both walk through together.

Trumpton Mon 31-Jul-17 19:20:50

If you tap in with your bank card ,has to be contactless ( look for the wifi symbol on it ) then it will work the same as an Oyster card.
If travelling with a child then you will need to go through the manned gate as children go free.
Don't forget to tap out at the end of your journey.
But mostly when I go to London I like to use the busses as you see so much more.
Use your card on the bus but you just need to tap in ( not out )
Have a look on TfL websit .

TweenageAngst Mon 31-Jul-17 19:21:32

why not go manchester-york-stevenage-hitchin. under 3 hours and no london required

AlexanderHamilton Mon 31-Jul-17 19:22:38

We do a similar thing but tend to stay in central London (Dd is doing an American in Paris workshop).

For yourself just use a contactless debit card (if you have one) & your youngest dd will go free with you.

If your ds is gonna my into London not as part of your through journey to hitchin then get a visitor oyster & have it validated for a young person to get discounted fayres.

AlexanderHamilton Mon 31-Jul-17 19:25:33

Is he going to EDSA?

EyeHalveASpellingChequer Mon 31-Jul-17 19:26:12

If travelling with a child then you will need to go through the manned gate as children go free.

Or just use the wider gate.

DropZoneOne Mon 31-Jul-17 19:26:51

As PP said, if you have contactless card, use that to tap through rather than Oyster especially if you don't use it often as you need to top up in min £10 increments.

It caps for a day, so you can do as many journeys as you need by tube or bus.

viques Mon 31-Jul-17 19:27:14

Contact less on your debit card will automatically charge you the equivalent daily oyster fare without the need for an oyster ,it is capped at a daily maximum. Tap in and out for each journey on tube or bus and it will work it out, how I do not know, just make sure you always use the same card! Your nine year old will travel free, just go to the wide entry gate at the station , they all have them for buggies and luggage, so that both of you can get through the barrier at the same time.

thisismadness77 Mon 31-Jul-17 19:28:04

Euston to kings cross is about a 3 minute walk, it's probably quicker to walk than tube.

viques Mon 31-Jul-17 19:28:37

Sorry, you don't tap out on a bus!

Ninja12345 Mon 31-Jul-17 19:30:09

I recommend that you Download Citymapper app. It's free and combines all the transport available to tell you how to get there, costs and times. And tells you the best part of the tube to get on. Very useful. Avoid rush hour if you can as Euston/ kings cross will be v busy.

hesterton Mon 31-Jul-17 19:30:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

EmpressOfTheSpartacusOceans Mon 31-Jul-17 19:38:32

It might be worth taking proof of age for your 9 year old, just in case. And yes, buses or walking are much nicer than the tube!

If you do end up on a tube escalator (especially if you're going on the rush hour) make sure your DCs know to stand on the right.

AlexanderHamilton Mon 31-Jul-17 19:42:35

Can I hi-jack?

Last time we went from Euston to his linen we took the tube but our hotel was a bit of a walk from the station. The bus is much more direct but what are buses like for taking suitcases on (me, dh, & two dc & we will each have a case plus backpacks.

user1497480444 Mon 31-Jul-17 19:47:15

depends, if it is rush hour or not. You will get on if it isn't the rush hour, if it is the rush hour you might have a longer wait or a tighter squeeze - no different to the tube though

user1497480444 Mon 31-Jul-17 19:47:40

you might be better getting a taxi

NetflixandBill Mon 31-Jul-17 19:51:36

Fellow northerner here. I was recently in London and used my contactless debit card for all tube travel. I found it very reasonably priced; there's a daily price cap of i think around £6 for zone 1-4 which we didn't venture outside. So essentially you'll never pay more than the price cap even if youre on and off the tube all day. You don't need to pre register either, as long as you use the same card all the time. Really easy to use.

AlexanderHamilton Mon 31-Jul-17 19:53:16

It will be around 10.30am. Never had a problem on the tube even in rush hour on a Friday.

crrrzy Mon 31-Jul-17 19:53:55

If you're doing tourist stuff go to the ticket office, they should have books of 2 for 1 vouchers.

crrrzy Mon 31-Jul-17 19:54:52

and it's also faster to walk to Euston than using the tube.

AlexanderHamilton Mon 31-Jul-17 19:56:25

How on earth did Holborn auto correct to his linen!

user1497480444 Mon 31-Jul-17 19:59:52

It will be around 10.30am.

shouldn't be a problem then

Never had a problem on the tube even in rush hour on a Friday.

well, be aware it can be totally impossible to squeeze on in the rush hour. We frequently have had to pull Northerners onto the train when they are pussyfooting around on the platform, and don't know what to do! Sometimes people say," o, its ok, I'll wait for the next one" and don't realise the next 50 will all be equally jammed full!

Sometimes family members who are not used to it get separated, if they are two or three feet apart, and can't reach each other, and one gets on or off, and the other can't....

And sometimes you just physically can't get on at all. I have known a passenger vomit from being too crushed.I wouldn't push it that far. I have had the buttons on my clothes pulled off once or twice by trying to turn around when being pressed in at all sides though, so please don't assume you are going to find it easy on the rush hour tubes.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in