Talk

Advanced search

holiday ideas abroad

(6 Posts)
HRHof3Princesses Wed 26-Jul-17 11:40:17

we are wanting to go abroad (1st time for the girls, age 7 and 12) but we don't want a busy and popular place. we want something different .somewhere where you wouldn't immediately think of. yes to a waterpark complex. not bothered about nightlife. any ideas?

OP’s posts: |
RancidOldHag Wed 26-Jul-17 11:46:23

How long are you prepared to travel for?

Iceland any good?

www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g189952-Activities-c52-Iceland.html

noramum Wed 26-Jul-17 14:05:05

I think the world is your oyster here. I personally find the typical Med holiday with resort and waterpark quite boring.

We normally try to get an area we can explore by car, doing sightseeing, wandering around towns, eating outside a hotel complex and being active like watersport or long walks.

What is your budget and what time of year you think of going?

HeadDreamer Wed 26-Jul-17 22:43:11

Road trip in the US? For example on the west coast with the Death Valley and Grand Canyon? Or Louisiana? Lots to see, very different, no language barrier. Similarly a road trip around NZ or Canada will work too.

Catchytune Wed 26-Jul-17 22:50:20

I agree a road trip works well.
Europe is fantastic as you can do all the smaller places but also waltz into town to see something and drive out again. Hotels can be cheap (and in Europe this doesn't mean horrid budget chains) because they are only for a night.
You can do three countries in a day without breaking sweat. Do not underestimate how much fun just this simple thing is!

Catchytune Wed 26-Jul-17 22:53:19

Don't be scared by driving. European roads are easier than Uk ones and are mostly dual carriageways or pretty empty. You can park on the outskirts of town and bus in. This is standard in many places like Rome where only residents are allowed in the centre.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in