Advanced search

Passport counter signature

(18 Posts)
ems137 Sat 22-Jul-17 13:10:23

I've just had my 4th baby and we've booked a holiday for September. I thought I had a counter signature lined up but I called the passport advice line to check whether he would be ok to sign and they said no.

I really don't know anyone who is a nurse, solicitor etc who ISNT a family member. My husband works in a warehouse and all his friends and colleagues have similar jobs. We have only lived in this area for 5 months anyway so haven't known anyone for the 2 years it stipulates. Your GP isn't allowed to sign it anymore either.

They said because I've recently moved it's ok to use someone who hasn't known us for 2 years but I still don't know anyone "of professional standing in the community". We live in a council house, only DH works and we don't have a large circle of friends anyway, even if we did they would be unlikely to be the right type of person to sign.

Any advice?

OP’s posts: |
ijustwannadance Sat 22-Jul-17 13:17:37

Are any of your other DC's at school? If they haven't broken up yet maybe ask a teacher?
Do you know anyone who works in a pub/restaurant who has their Personal Licence (to sell alcohol)?

Tokelau Sat 22-Jul-17 13:19:21

Can your midwife do it?

ems137 Sat 22-Jul-17 13:41:55

Thanks for the replies

My kids broke up yesterday but I was going to pop down to the school Monday morning in case anyone is hanging around still. Not sure how likely that is.

I can ask my midwife as she's seen both me, and now the baby. I know health visitors aren't allowed to do them anymore as we had similar problems with DD 22 months when we got her passport last year.

OP’s posts: |
RainbowPastel Sat 22-Jul-17 21:23:25

Could your husband ask the managing director at work?

chocoshopoholic Sat 22-Jul-17 21:25:54

Do you know anyone who works anywhere in the council?

ems137 Sun 23-Jul-17 10:18:11

The person who I had in mind to sign it works for the local council as a traffic warden, I assumed that this would fall under the job title "civil servant" but the lady on the advice line said no.

It's so frustrating because we just don't personally know anyone outside of the family with the type of job required. My close friend runs her own business but it needs to be a LTD company which hers isn't. I'm going to ask my midwife first thing in the morning and if that fails I'll ask DH to ask the top manager at his work and just pop a note in explaining in the application.

OP’s posts: |
RoseAndRose Sun 23-Jul-17 10:34:50

Who counter-signed for your other DC's passports? Or yours and DH's?

Or is it first passports for everyone?

chocoshopoholic Sun 23-Jul-17 11:13:37

A traffic warden isn't a civil servant, but is a local government officer if directly employed by the council (not if employed by a private agency).

dementedpixie Sun 23-Jul-17 11:18:45

Your friend that runs her own business would be ok to use as she would count as someone of good standing in the community. Doesn't have to be a ltd company owner

dementedpixie Sun 23-Jul-17 11:20:25

Your countersignatory must either:

-work in (or be retired from) a recognised profession

-be ‘a person of good standing in their community’

Orangebird69 Sun 23-Jul-17 11:23:29

Huge List of professions who can sign

dementedpixie Sun 23-Jul-17 11:25:10

Its not just limited to them though as a person can be of good standing in the community without having one of those professional jobs

dementedpixie Sun 23-Jul-17 11:25:50

Where did you live before? Anyone there who would be suitable?

Orangebird69 Sun 23-Jul-17 11:27:53

No, I know pixie. I didn't say the list was exhaustive hmm. It was, you know, a bit of help?

MiniMum97 Mon 24-Jul-17 20:10:35

Odd that a doctor can't do it but a dentist or chiropodist or travel agent can!!!!

dementedpixie Mon 24-Jul-17 20:12:18

A doctor can but only if you know them personally rather than just in a doctor/ patient relationship

2014newme Tue 25-Jul-17 08:54:57

Have you Absolutely no friends who have a professional job?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in