Talk

Advanced search

Sardinia

(16 Posts)
juneau Mon 17-Jul-17 11:52:30

Can anyone talk to me about Sardinia? We keep hearing good things about it and I'm dying to go. It would be next year probably. When is the best time to go (taking school holidays into account)? We don't like it too hot and crowded - our ideal temp is about 22-26 degrees.

We love beaches, sight seeing, good food, ancient towns and not loads of other Brits. It's such a big island I'm not sure where we should stay. We have two boys who will be 7 and 10 and they love swimming, eating, climbing around, exploring. They don't love museums and dusty ruins (although DH and I do!)

Any idea where would be a good place to base ourselves? Grazie!

OP’s posts: |
Blueflowers2011 Tue 18-Jul-17 15:21:51

Been to Sardinia 4 times, although the last visit was pre kids 9 years ago.

It's a beautiful place, the beaches are amazing, crystal clear turquoise blue, you can find many hidden spots off the beaten track and less crowded but you will definitely need a car to get to these. Also buy an umbrella, mats/chairs, cool box etc as there are no beach bed/umbrella sellers on these kinds of beaches. Main beaches are fine but you will be charged at least 40Euros a day for an umbrella and some chairs.

Food is great, towns are old but would say they are more traditional rather than ancient although some do date back. Your boys would love climbing and walking perhaps to these beaches too as some are a 10+min walk away after you have parked. Generally if you are driving on a main road and suddenly see lots of parked cars there then you should stop and have a look because that's where the locals are and the beach will be a gem.

Best thing about Sardinia are there are not really a lot of Brits (and before anyone says anything, I am one) but I love it because you avoid the usual drinking, loud, boring stereotypes you see on usual holidays.

I cannot sing this islands praises enough as you can probably tell!

I have stayed in both North/South, Santa Teresa Gallura (north) is a good small town you can get to from Alghero, small square with local nightlife every night (not clubs, restaurants mainly etc, children running around in the square, festivals if you go at the right time etc).

South has more variety in terms of beaches, more hotels etc. Villasimius in the South is lovely have a look, lots going on but not overly manic, cant really go wrong. Costa Rei also has stunning beaches, look at that resort.

I am waiting for your boys ages, best to do around this age if it's just you and family time you are looking for. It's not really a place to meet lots of other children/kids club type thing due to being more secluded, but obviously if you go to the main beaches they will be very crowded in August but a nice vibe. It's heavy on the Speedos as it is anywhere in Italy but to be honest I didn't' mind that as most of the people wearing them looked pretty good in them ha ha!.

Get a Lonely Planet/Rough Guide and take your pick. I cannot wait to get back to this island as it offers everything you mention and you do feel you are away from it.

The only thing you wont maybe is the temperature, it will be hotter than that in Jul and Aug as anywhere in the Med. Although in the North it always gets breezy at night whatever time of year you go so worth taking something to cover up with.

Sorry for long post.. got me thinking about this place again..

juneau Tue 18-Jul-17 16:29:51

Wow - thank you blueflowers, that is really helpful! I was looking at LP/Rough Guides on Amazon yesterday so I'll go ahead and order one. They're still the best IMO and I love browsing a good guide book.

We all love Italy and have travelled to many different places, but we've never been to Sardinia. You've made me even keener to go now! flowers

Blueflowers2011 Tue 18-Jul-17 17:26:25

ha ha. Also look at the villages inland if your boys like to explore but finding those hidden beaches is an exploration in itself so maybe set them up with tasks to find them for you. If the boys are happy entertaining themselves and each other for the days on the more secluded beaches then im sure they will enjoy. If you are worried they will be bored after finding a couple of beaches, then head to somewhere like Villasimius or a town/square where all the locals head to for more to do.

All the main beaches will be busy in peak season, if you can avoid 15th Aug wkd as thats the busiest time everywhere but it still feels nice as not many Brits there ! No offence again before I get lynched.

Loopsdefruits Tue 18-Jul-17 17:36:15

So my dad lives in Sardinia and I am here now until September. The south/cagliari area is pretty touristy, and Olbia. Dad leaves near Sassari which is North West (closest airport is Alghero) and it's not very touristy here, although lots of people speak English. Alghero is nice, historic city, but still things to do. It's hot at the moment though, UK school holiday is like peak summer, it gets cooler towards the end of August, or Easter is not so hot (but there's less guaranteed beach time then).

juneau Tue 18-Jul-17 18:09:17

This is all great info - thank you very much ladies!

I'll tell you what I'd absolutely love to find and maybe you can suggest somewhere. It's basically a smallish town with its own lovely beach, maybe some water sports or pedaloes to rent and nice bars and restaurants by the beach. Maybe a supermarkets and a few local shops, but otherwise not hugely touristy and mainly locals. Does this exist in Sardinia? That pretty much sums up my dream location.

langlandgirl Sun 06-Aug-17 17:06:16

you'll want to stick to May half term or out of school holidays. We have just come back and it was both very hot (35-40 most days) and very busy. can't recommend on location sorry as were in a resort.

beresh Sun 06-Aug-17 18:29:59

Tortoli area, eg Lido di Orri sounds like what you're looking for, but it is a bit of drive from the airports.

Jaimx86 Sun 06-Aug-17 19:21:38

Following as I was going to start a similar thread. We love islands like Formentera, so are hoping that Sardinia will be a good destination for us.

Jaimx86 Sun 06-Aug-17 19:24:37

Op, reading your comment Maybe a supermarkets and a few local shops, but otherwise not hugely touristy and mainly locals. Does this exist in Sardinia? That pretty much sums up my dream location. makes me think you should look at Formentera too, maybe for another year. We've been for the past couple of days of years.

MrsZB Sun 06-Aug-17 19:29:18

We went August last year and I thought it was stunning and would love to go back, but, it was too hot and I wouldn't go again in August! May or October though. We stayed in Alghero which was a good base. There was a lovely tree climbing thing nearby. We also drove an hr north to the most amazing beach.

juneau Mon 07-Aug-17 08:12:46

It was actually a perfect little beach resort in Ibiza which inspired me to try and find something similar in Sardinia jaimx! Formentera looks idyllic, but I think it might be a bit small for us.

Tortoli looks amazing! I've now borrowed some guidebooks off my sister, so I'll take a look.

I don't go to Italy in August - it's too hot and crowded - so yes May and Oct would be my target visiting times.

LuluBellaBlue Mon 14-Aug-17 10:11:11

I'm here in Sardinia now - August is really hot and crowded.
This won't be much help, but I'd recommend NOT staying anywhere from Cagliari until you reach Villasimius.
Villasimius itself is a nice town, however it seems from visiting there x3 times on this holiday that the beaches and port and town are all about apart so needing bikes or cars.
We are here visiting family, and they go on holiday to the north. They also say the waters are better and there's dolphins off the coast there.
Not been to north of the island but everyone we speak to seems to favour it.
Sorry to say but where we are (quart saint'elana) it's a bit of a dump!

dadap Fri 18-Aug-17 20:26:19

Can anyone give a view on Muravera - specifically Tiliguerta camping village we are due to go there with dc next week. And the free beaches.

viktoria Sat 09-Sep-17 13:07:43

In terms of sightseeing, I would suggest Orgosolo. It's in the mountains and known for its murals, but not touristy, at least when we visited. Google it, it's very interesting - and quite dark (feuding families, outlaws, bandits) and very different to beaches etc.! We (including our sons who were about 10 and 12) loved it. Have never been in a place like it.

peterpancollar Sat 09-Sep-17 20:51:42

We've been twice - both at May Half Term and both times, stayed at the Chia Laguna Resort in basically 2 interconnecting rooms on HB. This is the only place that we have returned to twice ever! The beach is absolutely beautiful - genuinely white sands that you don't usually see in Europe. Would totally recommend. We hired a car and drove around for sightseeing - the Nora ruins are nearby.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in