Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Child passport help please

(20 Posts)
PinkyPudding Sun 09-Jul-17 19:52:58

I would really appreciate if someone could help me because I'm totally confused by my sons passport requirements. I'm an American and my OH is a British Citizen and he was born here. (Not sure if that's relevant?) We are in the process of getting our 6 month old son his first passport but the document requirements don't make sense. Do we need to send both my OH's birth certificate and passport? Or can we just submit his passport? Sending both seems redundant and we only have his passport readily available but I don't want the application to be rejected. confused

dementedpixie Mon 10-Jul-17 08:16:19

Looks like Your dh's passport number and your sons full birth certificate would be required. Is your dh putting himself as the parental applicant?

dementedpixie Mon 10-Jul-17 08:17:39

Are you in the UK?

RedSandYellowSand Mon 10-Jul-17 08:21:22

Where is "here"?
If you fill the forms in online, it will tell you exactly what you need. But yes, I would suspect the passport and birth certificate is needed- to show how your husband acquired his British citizenship - by birth, decent etc

dementedpixie Mon 10-Jul-17 08:24:06

If you are in the UK you need the passport number, not the passport itself

foundoutyet Mon 10-Jul-17 08:25:47

Hm, can't quite remember. I did it online but but it rings a bell about getting DH to fill it in as it was less complicated with him being a British Citizen.

PinkyPudding Mon 10-Jul-17 09:20:09

Yes we are in the UK. I filled it out online and it says to send birth certificate and parent passport. I took that to mean my sons birth certificate but my OH says it's his (which we don't have!). I think we will just ask his parents if they have a copy.
I feel like an idiot! blush

LIZS Mon 10-Jul-17 09:24:11

I would have thought it is child's birth certificate. It would need to be a full certified copy which you can order for under £10.

NetballHoop Mon 10-Jul-17 09:24:26

Why don't you just call them and ask? There's a number on their website.

TragicallyUnbeyachted Mon 10-Jul-17 09:40:26

Child's birth certificate and UK citizen parent's passport (from memory). If parent doesn't have a passport then you can send some combination of certificates instead, I think.

You definitely need to send the child's full birth certificate (if you didn't you could just apply for passports for any number of imaginary children).

YouHaveBeenSummarilyDismissed Mon 10-Jul-17 09:42:22

We had to go to the Embassy with the birth of every child to get a passport - are you getting UK or USA passport?

SmokyRobinson Mon 10-Jul-17 09:43:38

Yes, it's the childs BC and the parents passport

SmokyRobinson Mon 10-Jul-17 09:44:40

For a UK passport. (No idea for an US passport)

dementedpixie Mon 10-Jul-17 09:52:11

It's the child's birth certificate and your dh's passport number. If you're in the UK you don't need to send the passport

dementedpixie Mon 10-Jul-17 09:55:32

From the notes:

their British passport number (provided in Section 4 of the application form) or
• full birth certificate, or
• certificate of registration or naturalisation, and
• if this is your father, also provide his marriage certificate to your mother.
(This does not apply for those born or adopted on or after 1 July 2006 or same-
sex adoptions.)

AConvivialHost Mon 10-Jul-17 09:57:54

We've just got a new passport for our 6 month old and just needed to provide passport numbers online and then send the original full copy of our DD's birth certificate

PinkyPudding Mon 10-Jul-17 11:36:00

Ok thank you everyone for your responses! I am going to submit with my sons birth certificate and husbands passport. wink

dementedpixie Mon 10-Jul-17 11:43:14

It's just the number you need btw

AndNowItIsSeven Mon 10-Jul-17 11:55:07

No not the passport just the passport number

PinkyPudding Mon 10-Jul-17 16:54:20

Ahhh ok right, just the number! Even better! Thank you! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now