Talk

Advanced search

Lisbon

(22 Posts)
TransvisionTramp Fri 07-Jul-17 13:25:11

Travelling with DH, DD8 and DD5.

Any tips on where to go?

Also - not sure about car seats for transfer from airport to hotel. Thinking of those inflatable boosters. Andy good?

Thanks in advance.

OP’s posts: |
Teds77 Fri 07-Jul-17 15:03:14

We have two 3.5 year olds when we went and really enjoyed it. Been pre-kids too.

The Aquarium is really good. There is also a cable car that goes from right next door. There is also a Science Museum right next door to the Aquarium. Haven't been but it's often recommended by others on here.

There is one particular old tram route that is great fun - will hunt out the number. We loved that. You can get off near the final walk up to the castle which is also worth visiting with kids and has great views.

I did the open top bus tour pre-kids and enjoyed that. Stops near the big monastery that's a Unesco site and also takes you down out to other sites on the waterfront.

There is also a bus that goes into the water - similar to the London Duck Tours idea.

And there are various old funiculars and lifts that take you up steep streets. We did a couple of those with the kids.

You can also do a day trip to he beach at Cacais which gets recommended on here as well.

There is a tube line that goes to the airport. We did that to avoid the seats issue and was easy/cheap.

Teds77 Fri 07-Jul-17 15:03:51

Tram 28!

TransvisionTramp Fri 07-Jul-17 23:26:00

That's great, thank you so much!

Misty9 Fri 07-Jul-17 23:29:56

We visited Lisbon this Easter with our young dc and loved it. We were staying on tram 28 route and it was very picturesque but packed! We enjoyed a trip to cascais and the castle mentioned by pp. We also rated a visit to the basilica and paid to go up to the roof which was worth it. Then there's a lovely park opposite (Our accommodation was very nearby).

The markets are a must and the one near us was easily as good as the famous time out one near the station. You can buy dinner and sit in a central area and it's very lively with a great atmosphere.

We enjoyed mooching about by the waterfront behind the main station and there's some nice restaurants too. If you're gluten free there's an amazing gf bakery which is well worth the visit smile

The science museum was fab. Not too overwhelming and lots of hands on exhibits for us the kids. Didn't go to the aquarium but heard good things.

Wrt airport transfer, if.you get a taxi then prebook if possible as the queues were enormous! Or go up to departures where they're.smaller we learnt. We did do metro in the end but it was a bit of a hassle with two kids and extreme heat.

Enjoy - we loved it smile

BarbaraofSeville Mon 10-Jul-17 08:50:58

If you're hotel is within walking distance of a metro line, I'd just get that rather than worrying about taxis and car seats.

Custard tarts! (pastels de nata) Eat lots.

TransvisionTramp Mon 10-Jul-17 13:15:12

Thank you - will look up metro etc. I'd much rather that than faffing around with car seats.

Currently compiling a list of things to do.

And Misty9 DH is gluten feee so we'll def pay a visit there! Thanks smile

Misty9 Mon 10-Jul-17 19:07:59

Ooh he's in for a real treat then! The chocolate croissant was out of this (gluten free) world smile McDonalds also do gluten free buns in Portugal. And if you're self catering definitely try and get the schar part baked croissants. Delicious.

Taxis have integral booster seats and my 5 year old was fine in it, as an alternative to the metro from the airport. Or if you do want to invest in something then I highly recommend the boostapak.

Enjoy! I might have to plan a return trip for some more gf goodies grin cake

TransvisionTramp Mon 10-Jul-17 20:48:32

Misty9 Ohh thank you - good to know about the taxis. I'm always so paranoid about he whole car seat thing.
DH is over the moon about the GF news grin

BestIsWest Mon 10-Jul-17 21:02:33

You used to be able to go to the Tourist Information desk in Lisbon airport and ask them to get you a taxi. You pay them and they give you a voucher. Not sure if you can still do it but it saved us queuing several times.

TransvisionTramp Mon 10-Jul-17 21:24:54

Oh that's good to know Best also stops tourists from being ripped off I expect wink

midsomermurderess Thu 13-Jul-17 21:24:00

Nip on the ferry over to Cascais for nice sandy beaches if you want some time out of the city, and Sintra is worth a visit too. Bit Lisbon itself is just lovely, and yes to custard tarts.

TransvisionTramp Thu 13-Jul-17 21:41:23

Thanks, I'm definitely up for a ferry trip. AND custard tarts grin

coldflange Thu 13-Jul-17 21:46:23

I was in Lisbon in April for the first time. Loved it
However was just me and DH so no help re dc.

The metro is v easy though - there are only about four lines (iirc) you can check it out online first.

The trams are fun. We used the open topped bus one day as it was hot and we just wanted to kick back and see the views easily. It was way cheaper than the HOHO buses in some other capital cities. I can't remember precise cost but I did say that I wished we had booked for two days as it would have been great value for money.

You can also ride up around the castle in an electric tuk tuk
The DC might like that. The hills are fierce ;)

TransvisionTramp Sun 16-Jul-17 20:12:30

Thanks for the recommendations everyone. We're all getting excited now grin

NewYearNewLife53 Sun 16-Jul-17 20:28:02

Sintra is fabulous. Best place for kids are these gardens. Cheap admission and just fabulous.

the https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sintra+gardens&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari#istate=lrl:iv&rlimm=13826549032849925411

You can get a train to Lisbon. Best way to do is to buy a Viagem (sp) travel card (ask for ones with the zapper function which means you can flash it at the ticket barrier and it deducts price automatically.

Public transport is brilliant and ever so cheap. The viagem card can be used on the trams as well. Take the tourist tram (no 28). Hold on tight and watch your belongings but it's a great experience. You can also use the card for this and you get admission cheaper by using it:

http://lisbon-portugal-guide.com/Baixa-Lisbon/Elevador-Santa-Justa-Lisbon-elevator-lift-guide.html

Cascais is lovely. I took the train - cheap and easy.

In Lisbon itself, the main square by the water is also lovely. I stayed in Alfama district ((the old area). Lovely to walk around.

Castle is also fab (and you can walk on its walls).

Cable car is fun. The aquarium is the best I've been in! Just brilliant and well worth the money.

You'll have a fabulous time!

NewYearNewLife53 Sun 16-Jul-17 20:30:40

Sorry, mislinked the gardens. Try searching for Quinta da Regaleira

NewYearNewLife53 Sun 16-Jul-17 20:33:11

Oh and also, from airport to Alfama district (Lisbon) our taxi fare was only €12 using taxis outside arrival hall (follow signs). There was a queue but it went quickly

BestIsWest Sun 16-Jul-17 20:59:38

Oh yes, NewYear Quinta da Regaleira is great for kids. Ours loved it (even when DS fell off the stepping stones into the fishpond grin )

TransvisionTramp Sun 16-Jul-17 21:03:04

Wow so many recommendations- thanks all flowers

TheNaze73 Tue 22-Aug-17 19:29:40

Hi OP. Did you have a good time? I'm thinking of booking Lisbon for a surprise weekend away. Worth it?

TransvisionTramp Tue 22-Aug-17 20:21:18

Hi there - it was fantastic! We all fell in love with Lisbon. I'd definitely recommend it.
(I'd like to go back for a weekend without the DDs).

Thanks to everyone for your tips - they were most helpful flowers

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in