Talk

Advanced search

Ideas for Ireland trip with 70 year old Mum

(16 Posts)
ImGoingForATwix Fri 07-Jul-17 12:48:07

Dh is taking his mum to Ireland in August for a long weekend (Friday am to Sunday evening). She's 70, and able to get about moderately well, although has had some health issues of late and wouldn't be up to anything too strenuous or hours on her feet. They'll be flying into Dublin and hiring a car.

She's never been to Ireland before. Dh and I have done a city break in Dublin before.

What would you include in a whistle stop tour of Ireland for a 70 year old? Where would you drive to, are there any particular scenic routes and what would you say is a must see/do? I imagine Dublin (as fun as it was for us) wouldn't be the real flavour/taste of Ireland that she'd want to experience.

OP’s posts: |
TheVeryThing Fri 07-Jul-17 12:56:05

If she wants rugged scenery then I would suggest heading to Galway, 2 hours (possibly less) from Dublin. Lovely small city and fantastic coastline nearby. They could drive out to Clifden and see Slyne Head. Kylemore Abbey is lovely too.
Alternatively, if they want to stay closer to Dublin, then Wicklow is lovely, with Glendalough definitely worth a visit. It's beautiful but not as spectacular as the west coast.
There is lots to do in Dublin also, depending on your interests. The National Gallery is newly re-opened after a huge refurbishment and looks amazing.

Shopgirl1 Fri 07-Jul-17 13:25:51

Good options above. Another might be Kilkenny, lovely medieval small city and a drive through typical open green countryside to get there, albeit now but motorway. It's only about 80 minutes from Dublin these days.
You could drive via Wicklow as well and cut across if you wanted to see the countryside there - the Sally Gap would be an option this time of year, amazing scenery- you could suggest a night war Glendalough, then on to Kilkenny on the Saturday morning and back to Dublin on the Sunday.
Personally I would just do Kilkenny though - or Galway.

ImGoingForATwix Fri 07-Jul-17 14:17:03

Thanks, these are fantastic suggestions.

curragh Fri 07-Jul-17 14:26:44

I agree with suggestions of Wicklow /Glendalough and Kilkenny. Kilkenny castle and the park are lovely. Kilkenny design (just across the street from the castle) is worth a visit too, great for souvenirs, craft, Irish art and design.

Would recommend Ormonde hotel in Kilkenny- great city centre location

Galway / Connemara would also be amazing and very doable - more journey time though

sodablackcurrant Fri 07-Jul-17 14:31:25

It's a relatively short time so be kind to mum and DH. There is so much to see!

Are you sure a car is necessary for such a short trip. There is a visitor travel card that is valid for three days for less than 20 euro. It covers to and from the airport on the airport bus, and unlimited travel all around the city and county on all modes of transport, bus, rail and tram. But I know sometimes people prefer the freedom of a car, just mentioning it....

about.leapcard.ie/leap-visitor-card

Roughly where will they be staying?

If taking the car, I echo Wicklow and Blessington Lakes/Glendalough. Fabulous unspoilt scenery and not more than an hour away. I'd also consider going to the Newgrange megalithic tombs, also about an hour away, an amazing experience, the passage graves are older than the Pyramids. Lovely rolling green countryside aswell.

You must take the DART (light rail) to Greystones. The scenery on the Greystones trip is just fab. Sit on the left going out and obv the right coming back. It hugs the coast most of the way. On a nice day it is a sight to behold for the cost of a suburban train ticket.

The other place I would consider is the National Stud and Japanese Gardens in Kildare. Close by is the Kildare outlet village if they are into that!

I hope they have a great time. Ask more if you need more info.

TheVeryThing Fri 07-Jul-17 14:32:33

Yes, Kilkenny is really lovely and very easy to get to from Dublin.
If they are staying east then the Waterford coastline is stunning (the 'copper coast').
It totally depends on what the OP's MIL is expecting and how much driving they are happy to do.
Some people really associate Ireland with a rugged landscape and might be disappointed not to see that.

SamBob Fri 07-Jul-17 14:37:28

I wouldn't fly to Dublin and then go all the way to Galway if she's never been to Ireland. Galway is lovely but why not see some of Dublin and the surrounding counties first.

Somewhere like powerscourt.com is lovely, nice easy drive from the city centre and a lovely place to walk, have some food.

Or Glendalough as previously mentioned.

Depending on if it would interest her there's the National Stud and Japanese Gardens in Kildare, that's a nice spot for an afternoon as well irishnationalstud.ie.

Up to Howth, lovely to spend some time beside the sea and lots of nice restaurants, or down to Dalkey.

In the city centre she might like the Book of Kells in Trinity or if she likes museums the National Museum of Ireland has three different sites in Dublin depending on her interests she might like one of those. They're all free admission as well www.museum.ie/Home

I just think it would seem a shame to come to Dublin for the first time and not see any of it!

sodablackcurrant Fri 07-Jul-17 14:48:16

Bear in mind that Kilkenny while very interesting and a lovely spot, it is a total magnet for hen and stag parties at the weekend.

It is well controlled and is only an issue at night time. Very lighthearted and relaxed, but can be an issue sometimes. But if you are only going for the day it will be fine.

littlewoollypervert Fri 07-Jul-17 14:50:45

The National Gallery has just reopened it's refurbished wing - it was fab before so I can imagine it's amazing now.

It has a really nice café and is only across the road from Trinity College (Book of Kells).

You could do one of the city centre bus tours - they are hop on hop off so if you spot something interesting you can go have a look and then get on the next bus.

littlewoollypervert Fri 07-Jul-17 14:51:36

Oh yes avoid Temple Bar in Dublin at night - it's like Kilkenny for the hen/stag parties!

CosmoClock Fri 07-Jul-17 14:53:29

Don't fly to Dublin and then drive to Galway. That's insane.

What about The Georgian Town House Museum on FitzWilliam Street

CosmoClock Fri 07-Jul-17 14:57:46

this is the georgian town house museum it's interesting, you get taken around it and talked through life in Georgian Dublin

lots of interest from recent history in here too

CosmoClock Fri 07-Jul-17 14:59:04

oh yes, I second the tour of Trinity College, lots of interesting snippits of info. Also second the National Gallery, all of this is in the centre of Dublin, all in walking distance.

TheInvincibleMadameMoi Fri 07-Jul-17 14:59:59

National Gallery has a "once in a lifetime" exhibition of Vermeer, if that would interest her at all. The Gallery recently re-opened after a major refurbishment, so is lovely.
Nice coffee shop there where they could have a luscious lunch.

In the vicinity, they could pop into Trinity College and get tickets to see the Book of Kells.

That would take up a Saturday, in central Dublin, without a huge amount of travel for an older lady.

Get the DART along the coastline, for a lovely view of Dublin bay.

Getting to Galway is possible along the motorway....but my 70yo mother would't enjoy sitting for the plane trip and then sitting in a car for another several hours.

Depends what she's interested in?

Literature?
Art?
Ye olde Ireland?
Scenery?

ImGoingForATwix Fri 07-Jul-17 19:13:40

I think scenery is probably the top of her list.
Some good suggestions for Dublin area too (apologies for disregarding it, some of the things mentioned sound right up her street) and I think they'll like the idea of the railway in addition to driving to other places mentioned.

No accommodation booked yet, they need to decide if they want to do same hotel for both nights or different places. Dh definitely wants to drive when they're there though.

I have loads to pass on to help him (I say him, I'm finding that I'm doing a lot of it 🙄) plan the trip but I may come back with more questions!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in