Talk

Advanced search

Stopover betweem Amsterdam and Legoland, Denmark

(6 Posts)
July2031 Mon 03-Jul-17 19:41:00

Hi

I'm travelling from Legoland in Billund, Denmark this summer with my DH and 3 DDs, back to Amsterdam to get the boat back to Newcastle. We'll need to break the journey with a one night stop over somewhere. Has anyone any suggestions? We will have been camping for over a fortnight so are happy to pay for some good facilities. TIA!

OP’s posts: |
noramum Tue 04-Jul-17 13:00:55

Hamburg? It is the shorter of the two legs if you break your journey there.

A bit further is Bremen, may also not bad, gives you another hour on the first leg. A bit further again is Osnabrueck. All cities you get a decent hotel if you just want to spend the night.

The problem is, the motorway from the Danish border into Germany is not known for being fast. Lots of lorries, most is just two lines each way and often has lots of road work. We travel the road every know and then when we are with the car in Germany (I am from near Muenster, DH is from Hamburg) and it always takes longer than anticipated.

When does the boat goes back from Amsterdam? When we break the journey from a German holiday back to Calais we always do the first leg as long as possible and the second the shorter in case there is a problem on route and we are delayed.

anonymice Tue 04-Jul-17 13:02:58

Luebeck - go to Luebeck! It has a marzipan museum and is very pretty. It's an old Hanseatic League town and has lots of lovely streets.

anonymice Tue 04-Jul-17 13:06:06

but as PP said we broke our journey later on - there are nice places to visit in the Netherlands too - 's Hertogenbosch (Den Bosch) is sort of on the way?

July2031 Tue 04-Jul-17 16:00:05

Thank for all the suggestions. The Amsterdam boat is 1700 the next day but our plan is to really try and break the back of it from Billund on the first day, so I don't have to worry about getting delayed and being late for the boat the next day. For that alone I am grateful for the tip off on roadworks on the border motorway. We'll set off early and transfer the kids into the car in their pyjamas. We are actually staying in Bremen for our first week of holiday, then Copenhagen, then LEGOLAND, then the journey back to the boat with the stopover. I will look at Osnabrueck and Hertogenbosch. Leubeck - yes, I read it is gorgeous but I fear it is still a long drive to Amsterdam port after that.

OP’s posts: |
noramum Tue 04-Jul-17 16:26:30

Luebeck is too far away. If you really can stretch it try the German/Dutch border for the break.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in