Talk

Advanced search

Help with travelling through Germany.

(6 Posts)
Bagforlife123 Mon 03-Jul-17 19:20:19

We're travelling through Germany this summer and are really keen on spending some time near a lake, preferably with some good hiking trails too.

We're really open to where abouts in Germany we go, we're travelling through and can spend as much time there as we need.

We're definitely on a budget, the cheaper the hostel the better even if is a bit grotty!

I've read a bit about Titisee and Schluchsee but can't seem to find affordable accomadation there.
Wutachschlucht looks nice too, but again I'm struggling to find anything.

If anyone had any recommendations or advice I'd really appreciate it!

Hoppinggreen Mon 03-Jul-17 21:32:34

DH is from Southern Germany and our favourite places there are Nuremberg, Freiburg and Erding.
We went to Nuremberg at Easter and the kids loved it, they also loved Freiburg and there is a theme park nearby.

Hoppinggreen Mon 03-Jul-17 21:33:18

Should say you can go up to Titisee on the train from Freiburg too

Todayisanotherday Tue 04-Jul-17 06:16:19

Hopfensee is lovely. But we went there in October. From there you can go and see Schloss Neuschwanstein.
Bodensee (Lake Constance). There is loads to see and do there.

Todayisanotherday Tue 04-Jul-17 06:22:48

If you are looking for affordable accommodation have a look at the campgrounds. they often have accommodation (not in tents) to rent.
The campground on Hopfensee is really nice.

noramum Tue 04-Jul-17 11:01:41

You may be too late for this year unless you look for camping, Germans love to book at least a year in advance for self-catering. We go on a regular basis to keep DD's bilingualism up and running and I had issues last September for this year August.

Alternatives to southern Germany are the lakes in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, Müritz, or Plön or Eutin north of Hamburg. Less big than Lake Constance but equally great areas and lots to do.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: