Talk

Advanced search

Madeira advice please

(9 Posts)
Sukistjames Sun 02-Jul-17 09:04:24

Staying at the Baia Azul b & b in four weeks time with a friend.
Looking for advice on how much spending money to take, any trips that are worth doing and car hire tips. If we go walking in the mountains, do we need warmer clothing, waterproofs etc?

Sukistjames Sun 02-Jul-17 17:52:41

Bumping

KellyMarieTunstall2 Wed 05-Jul-17 15:27:35

Hi
I am going on Monday, I will let you know costs of dining out etc when I get back. We won't be walking in the mountains though I have 2 smalls and I'm pregnant, but I'll ask about it for you whilst I'm there.

TinyTear Wed 05-Jul-17 15:39:40

Depends on the weather, i was there in 2010 and did quite a few walks

we did the peak to peak walk that only runs if the weather is nice, VERY steep mountains and a narrow trail, my DH was a bit scared as he is scared of heights.

we did other levada walks.

can't remember food being outrageously expensive, we went to the cheap local style places...

there was a nice sea walk

i think this was the tours we booked

www.madeira-levada-walks.com/en/walks.html

they picked us up from the hotel

we did this one:

www.madeira-levada-walks.com/en/walks/87-pico-do-areeiro-pico-ruivo-achada-do-teixeira.html

and this one

www.madeira-levada-walks.com/en/walks/85-rabacal-risco-25-fontes.html

the botanical gardens above funchal (take the cable car up and walk down) were also great

raspberrysuicide Wed 05-Jul-17 15:51:10

Cristiano Ronaldo statue at the airport?
And the Museu CR7

thenightsky Thu 06-Jul-17 18:22:59

I just got back from Madeira on Monday. Eating out... we paid 30 euros for a one course lunch with two drinks each (tuna steaks).

We didn't do the levada walks, but took a landrover safari to the highest point of the island and down the Eastern side. It included lunch (fish for own trout lunch if you wanted). This was with a company called True Spirit. web site It takes you right off the beaten track, literally! We loved Madeira and will go back.

HunkyDory69 Thu 06-Jul-17 18:30:20

Definitely keep some layers. Weather is very changeable, & even in mid August could vary from almost tropical heat to thunderstorms in half an hour. Cooler as you go higher.

The sledging on wicker is an expensive gimmick imo & hurt our backs.

Tours previously mentioned can be a great way of seeing the island & v different areas.

There's a genteel amusement park on the NE side of the island (old style living environments, films on climate & wildlife) so not a Thorpe park sort of place. We quite liked it.

Walks & port tasting; that's what I mainly remember. Expensive compared to Portugal as everything needs to be imported, even the sand from Morocco!

blue25 Sun 09-Jul-17 16:08:47

Try the ponta de sou lorenco walk. It's coastal rather than a levada, but absolutely stunning. We enjoyed the cable car up to the tropical gardens and the toboggan down. Afternoon tea at Reid's was lovely. We waked from Funchal to camera de lobos which is a little fishing village and got a train up to the viewing platform. Lovely views. Blandys Madeira wine tour and tasting was fun. Take the bus up to the valley of the nuns and walk down into the village. Love Madeira.

Sukistjames Tue 11-Jul-17 10:47:40

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. I'll have a look at all your suggestions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now