Talk

Advanced search

How to holiday with 2 year old twins?

(27 Posts)
Tinkerbell2003 Wed 28-Jun-17 10:38:26

This year we rented a self catering cottage in the UK but, pre babies, we loved to travel, and we're keen to go abroad next year when our twins will be just under 2 years old. However, the more I look into holiday options the more confused I get.

Neither of us are interested in 'resort' holidays and I'm not sure what you'd fill the day with when LOs are too young for waterparks, etc. So we'd prefer to stay somewhere where we could rent a car and do our own trips out before coming back for a swim in the pool. Because of that, I've been looking at Italy but private villas are extortionately expensive and hotels would mean an evening sat in the room in the dark from 7:30pm. Keeping them up is not an option, neither is going r the evening them sleeping in the buggy (DS we'd be fine but DD wouldn't do it).

So how do other people do it? Give me your best holiday ideas and what has worked for you at this age please.

OP’s posts: |
OMGtwins Wed 28-Jun-17 10:47:28

We're like you, self catering cottage in the UK, out in the mornings/lunch out and back for a pool swim in the afternoon.

We have friends who've done Airbnb abroad, or hired villas, with cheap flights and hire cars or things within walking distance only. No one I know with kids that age does hotels for the reasons you mention.

Italy was a good destination for my friends recently, cheap easyJet flights and a villa to themselves. Cost them a grand for a week all in. Others I know go camping to eurocamp or similar.

OMGtwins Wed 28-Jun-17 10:47:29

We're like you, self catering cottage in the UK, out in the mornings/lunch out and back for a pool swim in the afternoon.

We have friends who've done Airbnb abroad, or hired villas, with cheap flights and hire cars or things within walking distance only. No one I know with kids that age does hotels for the reasons you mention.

Italy was a good destination for my friends recently, cheap easyJet flights and a villa to themselves. Cost them a grand for a week all in. Others I know go camping to eurocamp or similar.

Allthebestnamesareused Wed 28-Jun-17 10:49:45

I was going to say that maybe Eurocamp in Italy might work for you instead. They are near Lake Garda and apparently very family friendly.

2014newme Wed 28-Jun-17 13:38:42

We did eurocamp and neilsons with our two year old twins

Tinkerbell2003 Wed 28-Jun-17 17:14:40

Oooh never thought of Eurocamp and they have loads of sites in Italy. Thanks. Do you know if they move beds out of the room to accommodate cots? Depending on when we go, twins will be anything from 20-23 months and the twin room looks a little tight to fit cots around the beds.

allegretto Wed 28-Jun-17 17:19:29

Hi - it depends on what you want to do! I preferred self catering when my twins were little and a campsite maybe with mobile homes is a good idea. Why can't you keep them up? That would really make things easier in Italy as everyone goes out at night when it has cooled down.

Sittinginthesun Wed 28-Jun-17 17:23:48

My first thought was Eurocamp. They really are great for families.

Not sure about the beds. I think we squeezed a travel cot in, but they are tight.

Saying that, DS2 first slept in a bed in a Eurocamp holiday.grin

A1Sharon Wed 28-Jun-17 18:13:22

Yelloh Village Serignan Plage.
make sure you get aircon!

WaaWaaWaaa Wed 28-Jun-17 18:29:29

Don't do it. Currently in Spain and counting every minute till we get home. 2 weeks is faaaaar long. Go with family if you can!

WaaWaaWaaa Wed 28-Jun-17 18:30:16

We'll be sticking to shorter UK breaks until they're older

WaaWaaWaaa Wed 28-Jun-17 18:30:19

We'll be sticking to shorter UK breaks until they're older

2014newme Wed 28-Jun-17 18:42:13

Eurocamp provide the travel cots so yes they fit in. Request on booking.
The children's couriers will also babysit for a fee so you can go out in the evening. We went twice when ours were babies /toddlers and had a great time. Neilsons was awesome for the amazing kids activities but if you don't like resorts Italy not for you.

2014newme Wed 28-Jun-17 18:43:23

Neilsons not for you, not Italy! Italy is great for you. Make sure you get aircon and decking. They will give you a gate for the decking so kids don't escape

Teds77 Thu 29-Jun-17 10:11:00

Don't do it!!!

We had a week in a cottage right on the beach in Devon with my parents just before mine were two and it was great fun.

We also went to the south of France and stayed in a big villa with friends just after they were two and I'm glad we went but not sure it was that much fun!! The plus sides were that we got some sunshine, we had a pool which was good (really no need for water slides etc. Just a simple pool does the trick), we spent time with friends and the travel was easier than when we did the same trip when they were 13 months, oh and we got a separate room from the kids (previous year we squeezed two travel cots into our room and could barely move which didn't feel like much fun!)

I honestly would not have enjoyed the France holiday if it had just been the four of us and we really didn't enjoy any of the sightseeing we attempted to do with the kids - that was much easier to do in Devon where it wasn't too hot.

When we went away just after they turned three we had a total blast. It was just so much easier.

Then by four we did a three week adventure in California. Sorry for the stealth boast but just to say you do get the trips you did pre-kids, it just takes a little longer!

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Iwasjustabouttosaythat Thu 29-Jun-17 10:21:24

Do a farm stay! Somewhere with baby animals and/or fruit picking. And old village maybe, with room to run.

Holidays are just the same thing with a change of scenery for the next few years. Make it pretty scenery. 😉

Tinkerbell2003 Thu 29-Jun-17 12:15:30

We've now found a lovely looking place on Lake Garda with eurocamp where we can choose either a static or a bungalow so thanks to everyone who suggested that. Going to hire a car too for day trips out. Appreciate that it may not be the most relaxing holiday ever but we're willing to give it a try.

Teds77 Thu 29-Jun-17 14:56:23

You're a brave lady! I've had friends stay at this Eurocamp - www.eurocamp.co.uk/campsites/tuscanycentralitalyelba/in017-norcenni-girasole-club/ataglance.html

Good days trips possible as well.

You get a good Tamba discount at Eurocamp. Worth joining for if you're not already a member.

buckyou Thu 29-Jun-17 15:01:12

Have you looked at Greece? We've just booked a really nice villa with pool for 200 a night. Taking our 2yo and 4 month old.

We also just went to broom hill manor in cornwall, it had individual cottages with private garden / hot tub with indoor and outdoor pools and games rooms etc. It was great for kids and loads of things to do in the area for kids.

allegretto Thu 29-Jun-17 15:39:52

You get a good Tamba discount at Eurocamp. Worth joining for if you're not already a member.

I had no idea! We went to Eurocamp last year - damn!

millifiori Thu 29-Jun-17 19:35:29

We had a lovely Eurocamp at I Pini near Rome with DTs when they were small. It was a small enough resort to be safe. There was a massive shallow pool. It's much more mainstream than the kind of travel you might choose to do without small twins, but it's more relaxing than trying to wing it when they're still so young. And at that age they love pasta, pizza, ice cream, the big plushy characters at the cheesy discos. They also loved Rome, the colisseum and gladiator displays.

bruffin Thu 29-Jun-17 19:39:39

Centerparcs europe. Some are better than others for toddlers like Eperheide which has huge ball pit/ factory

minipie Thu 29-Jun-17 19:44:53

You need Mousses in Greece (Simpson travel).

Ten villas (so not a big resort), shared pool, restaurant that delivers to your terrace (v useful if kids are asleep), and a fab creche/kids club so you can do some beach trips a deux. But it's full of MNers grin

user1497787065 Thu 29-Jun-17 19:52:29

We did a villa in France with our firstborn and then a large hotel in Lanzarote. Neither worked very well. When our daughter was born we found a fantastic small hotel in Crete. The hotel had about twenty rooms, a pool, garden and a bar. We usually had breakfast, a couple of hours by the pool and then we would pop her into her cot in our poolside room where she would sleep for a few house and we were able to spend time with our son in/at the pool. We would usually go out to eat early evening and then we could put them both to bed and we could have a few drinks, chat, play cards etc. This worked superbly for us. We had a few days out where they would step in the car either on our way to or from our destination. Our room was so close to the pool we always felt our baby was perfectly safe and still believe so.

Donthate Thu 29-Jun-17 20:00:12

Villa pia might be good for you too

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in