Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Taking tinned food abroad? 🤔

(21 Posts)
OculusReparo Thu 22-Jun-17 15:47:05

So I've always taken dried food and spices and pulses etc abroad...have also taken tinned tuna and baked beans in the past lol...but now it got me thinking, can I take tinned soup? E.g. tomato soup, cream of mushroom soup? 🤔 I know I can make them at home and usually once I'm settled into the house, I do cook. But I like taking things with me so that it can tide me over whilst I get my bearings of the area.

OlennasWimple Thu 22-Jun-17 15:51:00

Why not? What's different aboit a tin of soup compared to a tin of beans?

eurochick Thu 22-Jun-17 15:52:27

It depends where you are going. Different countries have different rules about what you can bring. For example, Australia is very strict about bringing in food. The US is ok with processed stuff but not fruit and other fresh food.

MrsRonBurgundy Thu 22-Jun-17 15:59:10

Are you going somewhere hot? Will you really fancy a tin of soup when you arrive?

Other than that, the only obstacle I can think of would be how much weight they'd add to your bag? Other than that I'd imagine would be fine.

SirNiallDementia Thu 22-Jun-17 16:06:53

Why are you wanting to talke tins of soup? Are you going to a country that doesn't have any soup of it's own 🤔

MrsTerryPratchett Fri 23-Jun-17 02:58:52

Where are you going that has neither tinned soup, nor delicious food to eat which is nicer than tinned soup?

Ginger782 Fri 23-Jun-17 03:33:30

Where are you going OP?

AgathaRaisonDetra Fri 23-Jun-17 04:19:50

Ignore the above OP there'll be plenty of room in your caravan for soup. Baked beans?

Ginger782 Fri 23-Jun-17 04:29:17

Huh @Agatha ? hmm

BarbaraofSeville Fri 23-Jun-17 09:42:19

Well there's nothing stopping you, although I'm not sure if a tin of soup falls foul of the liquids in hand luggage on a plane rule but I don't know why you'd want to unless maybe if you're going on a 'pack everything into the car and drive to rural France' type of holiday?

Nakedavenger74 Fri 23-Jun-17 09:50:10

I can't imagine any situation on holiday when a tin of soup would be in anyway enjoyable. Surely half the point of a holiday is to experience local food?

Anyway go ahead and fill your hold luggage with as many tins of Cock-a-Leekie you can stomach but they'll be confiscated if it goes in cabin baggage

Iamastonished Fri 23-Jun-17 09:53:23

Why on earth would you do this? For a start it would add weight to your luggage, and why would you eat English soup when you are abroad? Surely, one of the reasons for travelling out of the UK is to try different cuisines.

Madness.

Nakedavenger74 Fri 23-Jun-17 09:56:35

Actually I can understand taking spices etc. sometimes hard to get hold of specific items and it's an arseache having to buy entire jars of stuff for a couple of meals.

But soup... we go camping in rural Europe regularly moving to a new site every day and even then we've never taken soup. Supermarkets and restaurants abound! Seriously. Unless you are bivouacing in Central Namibia I wouldn't be stressing about soup.

Soup grin

C4Envelope Fri 23-Jun-17 09:56:50

grin

Nakedavenger74 Fri 23-Jun-17 10:00:55

Love how OP has specified flavour of soup. Like someone might say "yes OP the Tomato will be fine but Mushroom is prohibited under CAA regulations"

BarbaraofSeville Fri 23-Jun-17 10:06:05

I think we're being a bit unfair on reflection. If there are SNs/fussy eating issues unfamiliar brands would be a problem or if it's a case of 'we can only afford a holiday if we eat cheaply at the property' taking your own food is probably worth it.

I remember a big family holiday that was marred by DPs primary age cousins refusing to eat any of the lovely French food and his Aunt and Uncle tearing their hair out at the price of UK brands in the local Carrefour.

blueskyinmarch Fri 23-Jun-17 10:09:04

All i can think about is the weight of them in your luggage! I would rather have extra clothes and toiletries on holiday than a tin of soup. Where are you going OP that won’t have delicious local food?

CaretakerToNuns Fri 23-Jun-17 10:14:02

Your Tomato and French Onion will be fine but you may have a problem with the Cream of Chicken - best to leave that one out.

SooticaTheWitchesCat Fri 23-Jun-17 14:01:17

Why would you want to carry tinned food abroad? I'm sure they have food wherever you are travelling to...

Reastie Sat 24-Jun-17 17:01:28

Some places you can't take dairy or meat priducts too I think so check where you're going and what they allow. Things like tinned tomato soup often have milk or cream in and I'm not sure how strict they might be.

I remember getting a flight somewhere where they said no dairy to be brought into the country and I had a cheese sandwich with me in my bag for my lunch and was so worried they'd take it away from me (I'm special diet and it was special bread in the days it wasn't common to be able to buy it so easily).

I often take my own food on foreign holidays as I'm special diet and I never know what will be available for me that is suitable.

YouDoSomethingToMe Sat 24-Jun-17 17:11:52

I am going to Iceland at the end of next month and it is going to be £££££. We will eat out a few times but I am also taking food with me to make picnics.
So....
Tins of tuna, pasta stir in sauces, pasta, Philly cheese grin, peanut butter, loads of snack bars and honey sachets (for the Skyr when out and about). We can take 3kg of food each, no cooked meat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now