Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Holiday ideas with 1 and 5 year old. Somewhere a bit different.

(30 Posts)
Lamby80 Sun 18-Jun-17 19:17:01

Hello.
We always go away in May school holiday, lower cost and not too hot. We went to the Balearic islands this year but next year fancy somewhere different. Was thinking Italy but just not sure where to start. We still want decent weather, a pool and preferably walking distance to a beach. We don't like all inclusive, tend to hire a car and do.out own thing. Other places people have recommended are Corsica, Sardinia.
Thanks!

KitKat1985 Tue 20-Jun-17 18:43:03

Malta may suit you. It's a relatively small island so you're always fairly close to a beach and the temps in May are about low 20's so not mega hot. Very friendly people.

Misty9 Tue 20-Jun-17 23:20:52

We enjoyed lake Garda with similar aged children. We stayed in peschiera so no beach to speak of, but there are lakeside places I think with pebble 'beaches'. Amazing scenery and lots to do with a hire car (which is what we did). We stayed in camping del Garda in a mobile home and had a great time.

Misty9 Tue 20-Jun-17 23:21:48

Also, pre-kids, but Croatia was a beautiful country and definitely has beaches!

nornironrock Wed 21-Jun-17 16:06:16

If a beach isn't absolutely essential, I can recommend the Austrian Alps. We went when the kids were 18 months and 4. They loved seeing snow in the summer, and because the ski season wasn't on, we got a luxury apartment for a song! We took them to Vienna when 6 and 8 and they loved that too!
There is so much of our beautiful world that is not by the beach....

Lamby80 Wed 21-Jun-17 22:21:40

Thank you for the suggestions. DH has always wanted to try Croatia though the Austrian alps sound lovely. Is there any town in particular you would recommend?

leccybill Wed 21-Jun-17 22:25:20

Croatia is fab - just come back from there with 7yo DD. Very kid friendly and cheap. The Adriatic is crystal clear and the ice cream is amazing.

nornironrock Thu 22-Jun-17 07:41:46

We stayed in a little village called Rauris (http://www.raurisertal.at/en/summer/) and found it delightful, with a ski lift open in summer to take in some sights from above the village. Up the valley to the south is a place for the kids to play around in the river and try some gold panning (http://www.raurisertal.at/en/summer/active-in-summer/panning-for-gold/) and a short drive out of the valley to the north takes you to the closest train station at Taxenbach from which Salzburg is just over an hour away on a scenic route (https://www.trainline.eu/train-times/taxenbach-rauris-to-salzburg-hbf). A slightly bigger town nearby is Zell-am-See with the beautiful lake. A cruise on one of the boats is good fun for the kids also. Not to be missed is a drive over the Hochalpenstrasse (https://www.grossglockner.at/gg/en/index). Make sure you do it on a good weather day. The views are stunning, and the snow at higher altitudes is great for the kids. A visitor area by a big glacier is also fun. Going down to the glacier itself was, we felt, a little to arduous for our children at the time. But the view was worth it.
A note of caution. As with Germany, most supermarkets/shops etc are closed on Sundays, which meant that having arrived on a Saturday we were rather stuck the next day!

juneau Thu 22-Jun-17 07:41:50

I've been to Croatia in May and the weather was beautiful - warm, sunny and fresh - not hot and sticky. We were in Dubrovnik, which I wouldn't recommend with young DC, as its a historical city with nothing for them to do, apart from a small aquarium. The coast though is supposed to be gorgeous.

We're going to Valencia next May, which I'm hoping will be lovely. The Canaries are good with DC too, although the flight is at least 4 hours so you definitely find something closer.

Misty9 Thu 22-Jun-17 11:22:30

juneau Valencia is fab with kids, you'll have a great time smile the science park is impressive and the city has a lovely feel to it. Lisbon is similar I found.

Lamby80 Thu 22-Jun-17 12:16:21

Ah I have been to Valencia though never got the train to the coast. That sounds like a good idea. My husband is not a beach person so we would get the best of both worlds!

Groovee Thu 22-Jun-17 12:27:31

Lake Garda or Croatia.

Misty9 Thu 22-Jun-17 14:46:12

We don't really do beaches either and this Easter we went to Lisbon. It was a brilliant holiday. We stayed in an airbnb apartment with a park at the bottom of the road, 20min train to the beach, great fun on the trams and gorgeous city. Food was so so but the rest made up for it. I think we might even go back there!

juneau Thu 22-Jun-17 15:03:39

Oh good! DH and I have been meaning to go for ages, so it's finally at the top of the list. I haven't been to Lisbon, so thanks the recommendation. Somewhere we went last year that was a real surprise how lovely it was is Bilbao. I just wanted to go to the Guggenheim, but there is so much more to the city than that and the food is amazing. Highly recommended. Our kids loved it.

Misty9 Thu 22-Jun-17 15:26:47

Ooh we like Food! Thank you smile

poisonedbypen Thu 22-Jun-17 15:35:20

We went to Croatia in the May half term a few years ago. It was beautiful, but a lot of things didn't open (cafes on the beach, restaurants, that sort of thing) until June 1st. It was a few years ago so things may have changed. I would love to go back.

Lamby80 Thu 22-Jun-17 18:12:54

Juneau, can I ask what part of Valencia you are saying in? My husband has never been and would like to go. I went prekids and stayed in a little town just outside the centre and that wouldn't be ideal with kids!

Misty9 Thu 22-Jun-17 18:28:08

lamby we stayed near the centre with our two kids - I'll look for a link to our accommodation after kids bedtime smile

Ifyouthinkiwillsleepyoudream Thu 22-Jun-17 18:30:23

The Italian lakes would be great for this.

Alternatively Greece? It's very child friendly and it won't be too hot at that time of the year. I can recommend something more specific if you're interested.

Lamby80 Thu 22-Jun-17 19:04:35

I really do fancy the lakes too though have heard mixed reviews about the town's around Garda though we are considering this too.
A link would be fab Misty.
Oooh, Valencia or Italy. A nice dilemma!
X
X

Misty9 Thu 22-Jun-17 19:54:24

We stayed here and from what I can remember it was good, although only two bedrooms and it was bloody boiling! Air con was very noisy but the terrace was lovely.

Misty9 Thu 22-Jun-17 20:13:42

Oops, it's no longer available by the looks of it. There was an amazing looking place on another site but I can't find a link...

Misty9 Thu 22-Jun-17 20:18:50

Here it is www.ownersdirect.co.uk/accommodation/p8025668?utm_campaign=ODUK_TRV_INQ_HASC_replied_PPS&utm_content=propthumb_image_o_lprop&utm_term=20160516&utm_source=SYS&utm_medium=email

Lamby80 Thu 22-Jun-17 20:32:36

Thanks misty. That looks like a great location.

Teds77 Fri 23-Jun-17 20:39:33

Juneau sorry to hijack but can you tell me more about Bilbao? What age are your kids? Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now