Talk

Advanced search

Acropolis and Parthenon

(8 Posts)
claraelsa Sat 17-Jun-17 21:35:11

We are going here next month with my elderly parents who will not use the disabled lift that we are told is there but they do want to go to the site. Is there anything to occupy them that doesn't involve climbing the 80 or so steps as they won't be able to do this.
Thanks. We've looked on trip advisor but it's of limited use.

claraelsa Sun 18-Jun-17 08:52:00

Anybody?

Thank you.

Ktown Sun 18-Jun-17 09:00:44

There is the acropolis museum at the bottom of the hill. It's is fairly new and air conditioned. Plus there are lots of nice cafes around.
Walking up to the Parthenon is pretty heavy going.

claraelsa Sun 18-Jun-17 09:31:01

Thank you, I was hoping that there would be something so they aren't just sitting around in the sun. Unfortunately we won't be there until about 10am so I'm assuming it's going to be very hot by then.

specialsubject Sun 18-Jun-17 13:40:54

The boulevard and cafes nearby are shady and surprisingly cool even at midday in high summer.

What a great idea to have a lift! But if they won't use it, they can't go up. The steps are steep and can be slippery.

claraelsa Sun 18-Jun-17 14:14:33

Apparently the lift is only for people in wheelchairs unless you take proof of a medical need, they don't want the hassle if there are alternatives. I'm sure that they will find a decent cafe with air con.

thanks for the info.

Ktown Sun 18-Jun-17 14:19:25

The cafes also spray fine jets of cool water over your while you are there.
It is like a fine mist. Odd but refreshing.
The museum will keep them occupied for a couple of hours at least.

specialsubject Sun 18-Jun-17 16:59:53

Ah, I see.

No need for nasty aircon. Sit outside in the breeze and shade. It surprised me how cool and quiet the area was given the nearby roads.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: