Talk

Advanced search

Where did you stay in New York???

(25 Posts)
Pressie9 Mon 12-Jun-17 23:04:46

Would like to book but to much choice. Any advice ??? Times Square or not. Some say too busy. HELP

Shellsandstones1 Mon 12-Jun-17 23:08:31

Times Square is a bit shit. My favourite is the Omni on 5th

Titsywoo Mon 12-Jun-17 23:12:13

Depends which end of the city you want to be in! DH stays in NY a lot and recommends the Standard Highline for reasonable prices and great views. www.standardhotels.com/new-york/properties/high-line?utm_source=google&utm_campaign=google_my_business&utm_medium=organic

2014newme Tue 13-Jun-17 09:23:28

Manhattan! We stayed novotel times square had a terrace with a view was great location

chipsandpeas Wed 14-Jun-17 07:22:22

holiday inn times square, was on 8th ave at 42nd street, basic but done the job considering how much time was spent in the hotel room

oigetoffmycheese Wed 14-Jun-17 07:33:13

The Refinery on 39th. Great

glitterglitters Wed 14-Jun-17 07:44:42

We stayed in this hotel on 102nd & Broadway. It was very cheap and very cheerful. The reviews on TripAdvisor weren't great but we never found any issue with it. It was called the Marrekech Hotel and it cost (with direct flights) for a week £900 for two people.

http://www.marrakechhotelnyc.com

teaping Wed 14-Jun-17 07:47:34

We stayed in Maddison square park (the Edition hotel) which was an awesome location x

JaneEyre70 Wed 14-Jun-17 15:35:06

I absolutely hated Times Square, and would never book a hotel there. We stayed in the financial district, at The Conrad.... it's right next to the WTC site, you get river views and you can walk out the door and follow the Esplanade all the way down to Battery Park and the staton island ferries. There were lots of bars/restaurants close by, and it was blissfully quiet. Subway was a 4/5 minute walk and loads of bus stops too.

mando12345 Fri 16-Jun-17 09:11:54

We stayed at the beacon on upper West side, lovely area, central near the river, central Park, lots of good local restaurants.

Missanneshirley Fri 16-Jun-17 22:57:15

Another vote for the beacon - loved everything about it, great location

NotCitrus Fri 16-Jun-17 23:02:11

Up near 125th St - two express subway lines and near Columbia uni, green spaces and locals live there. Can be in Times Square in 15-20 min, lots of diners and restaurants.

BubblesBuddy Fri 16-Jun-17 23:04:04

Soho Grand, Soho. Great neighbourhood.

Longdistance Fri 16-Jun-17 23:04:43

I love NY.

We stayed in the Waldorf Astoria last year when we went.

The previous times we had short stay let apartments on 73rd West, but they've stopped short term lets in NYC.

PUGaLUGS Fri 16-Jun-17 23:05:25

We have stayed at the Waldorf on Park Avenue and also the Westin Grand Central.

Both great locations.

I wouldn't stay in Times Square. Far too noisy and busy.

Archedbrowse Fri 16-Jun-17 23:06:32

We stayed at and would recommend the Beacon too, DH & I had a suite (our wedding) and other family members had rooms, both were nice.
Felt nice coming back to after a busy day& night out, calmer & more peaceful area (relatively).

WinifredAtwellsOtherPiano Fri 16-Jun-17 23:06:32

East of Central Park. Quiet but comfy. A bit of a journey to where we wanted to go each day, but only about 15 minutes walk to the bottom of Central Park, and less than half an hour on the subway to anywhere in Manhattan.

KimchiLaLa Fri 16-Jun-17 23:08:32

I go there a lot. Do NOT stay in Times Square. Consider these for both decent stays and great location -

The Benjamin
Intercontinental Barclay
Hilton 6 Ave (lots of business conferences happen there which makes the lobby busy, but it's a good location)

KimchiLaLa Fri 16-Jun-17 23:09:05

Ah yes Waldorf also good, few yards from the Benjamin

HundredMilesAnHour Fri 16-Jun-17 23:12:35

It depends what you're looking for really. I really like Essex House (on Central Park South) as it's such a convenient location. But it isn't cheap (I stay here on business so the bill isn't my problem!)

Novotel Times Square is good if you get a room with a view over Times Square. It's surprisingly quiet there and a very handy location, but I find most of the staff really grumpy and the cocktails overpriced.

For downtown, I like the Ritz Carlton at Battery Park. Quiet, lovely views of the Statue of Liberty, great service and a good coffee shop close by. I travel to Staten Island a lot to visit friends so this is very convenient for the ferry/express bus.

Friends (who used to live in NYC) swear by the St Regis. They never stay anywhere else in NYC (or Singapore) but I prefer more contemporary styled hotels.

Amiable Fri 16-Jun-17 23:14:17

New York Manhattan hotel, 6 West 32nd Street, New York, NY 10001, in Koreatown (which is just one st!) right between broadway /Greeley square (J C Penney and Macy's) and 5th avenue, 1 block from Empire State.

Really great hotel, clean, friendly and you can get deals including free breakfast ( a rare thing in NY) Mum and I paid just over £700 + tax for a twin room for 7 nights back in November. Very slow lift though!

Amiable Fri 16-Jun-17 23:18:58

Another thing, even if you don't stay in the NYMA, it has a nice little roof bar, which has front row views of the Empire State Building, so worth a visit! It is rarely busy, and it's not actually part of the hotel, so you don't need to be staying there to get in.

revolution909 Fri 16-Jun-17 23:27:02

The Pierre! Great service and rooms. The bar is fantastic too!

Loftyjen Sat 17-Jun-17 00:05:17

Both times I've been to New York have stayed in The Library Hotel - really small boutique hotel halfway between Grand Central Station & New York Library - they do free breakfast plus cheese & wine in the evening wink

Oldowl Sat 17-Jun-17 08:05:54

Another vote for NYMA. Great location and breakfast included. This saves a fortune in NY.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now