Talk

Advanced search

Last minute all inclusive

(19 Posts)
dirtycrispeater Sun 11-Jun-17 09:53:24

I have not booked our summer holiday yet. My DH has not a day off yet this year for various work reasons and we'd like to do an AI holiday as it would mean a rest for us and there seems to be plenty to do for the children. We can only go last week of August so things are still looking like £3.5-4K ( we'd like to go to the canaries, pref Fuerteventura as it seems very relaxed) - is it worth me waiting to see if we can get a better deal or is that price reasonable? I have looked at First Choice/ TUI.

OP’s posts: |
OnyK Sun 11-Jun-17 10:02:34

Have a look on Thomas cook too, as they're normally a bit cheaper.

If you find somewhere you like, it's worth pricing it up separately. Check flight prices on skyscanner and look to see if you can book directly on the hotel's own website or on a site such as booking.com.

dirtycrispeater Sun 11-Jun-17 10:06:57

Great idea, thank you!

Joffmognum Sun 11-Jun-17 10:07:40

Way too much for me personally. Have a winter holiday this year instead. If your budget is 4k you could go skiing for way less than that, or anywhere for less really. Put it off for a bit more (but plan now!) And save 2k.

Dailystuck71 Sun 11-Jun-17 10:12:02

Jet2? Fly from Scotland as our schools are back then.

MrsELM21 Sun 11-Jun-17 10:13:52

Agree with find one you like and price it up separately, we did this, low cost flight, hotel direct in hotels website and actually hired a car for the week instead of the tedious multi stop shuttle bus, still saved almost £900 on what Thomson were offering, we are going last week of August too

pieceofpurplesky Sun 11-Jun-17 10:18:26

Try on the beach and ice lolly. They have good deals. Jet2 is cheaper.

dirtycrispeater Sun 11-Jun-17 11:40:50

Thank you for all your tips. I think I will price it up and probably just start saving for next year!grin

HelenMcHelen Sun 11-Jun-17 18:23:51

I have never found a holiday cheaper by pricing up separately, although that may be because I want a daytime flight from a regional airport.
Last week of August is usually the cheapest of the school summer holidays and I would book asap because holidays in the school summer holiday period do not tend to get cheaper. Jet2 holidays are often cheaper than TUI / Thomas Cook.

Fuerteventura is lovely by the way, though you would get cheaper in the Med.

OnyK Sun 11-Jun-17 22:20:07

I've saved between £1000-2000 on a couple of 2 week holidays for 4 of us...exactly the same accommodation but booked independently.
We don't go AI though.

BarbaraofSeville Mon 12-Jun-17 06:37:21

OP, you may also want to look at Lanzarote for more choice and if you avoid Costa Teguise or Puerto del Carmen, you will also find it 'very relaxed' - Playa Blanca is a nice resort with a good choice of hotels and apartments and you can see Fuerteventura across the sea and go there on a ferry day trip.

Lanzarote has a bit of a reputation for being windy, but then so does Fuerteventura, and probably more so, given that the place name is Spanish for fierce wind.

We do self catering or B&B and it's swings and roundabouts whether a package or independent booking is cheaper but there's usually only about £100 or so in it.

We're actually going away on a jet2holidays package later today, which cost £820 for 2 of us for flights, transfer, hotel and luggage.

The same flights alone with luggage, which we need as we're taking scuba gear would have been over £500 and the transfer another £100 as it involves 2 taxis and a ferry which leaves about £200 for a week's B&B in a nice looking boutique hotel.

I couldn't have booked everything separately for that price unless I got a basic self catering apartment and different flights that involved a 3 am start in at least one direction - a lot of Jet2 flights are at a civilised hour, which is why they can cost more than the 6 am Ryanair or Easyjet options.

Dailystuck71 Mon 12-Jun-17 06:44:48

Plenty availability on jet2 but without knowing your airport it's difficult to show but 2 adults and 2 kids from Manchester to fuerteventura last week of August is about £2k.

BarbaraofSeville Mon 12-Jun-17 07:12:00

If you are in northern England also look at flying from Scottish airports for that week as Scottish schools go back mid August, which can make it cheaper.

SardineJam Mon 12-Jun-17 07:21:37

www.britishairways.com/en-gb/flights-and-holidays/holidays I have booked lots of holidays through BA and enjoy the fact that I don't have to "fight" about seating and luggage! As you get through to the results page you can filter by board type and even if you select a particular hotel you can often refine that even more on the booking page (it may come up as b&b but on the booking page you can select another board option and pay the additional cost. I booked a room only option for a city break and for a total of £12 extra I was able to add on breakfast for four people for four days - bargain!)
Don't forget the likes of Expedia and Last minute.com who also do the same setup as BA

BarbaraofSeville Mon 12-Jun-17 07:30:34

I always forget about BA and agree that flag carriers are often no more expensive than budget airlines, but the trouble is that they don't have any direct flights from Northern England to anywhere apart from Heathrow or Billund in Denmark, which is fine if you want to go to Legoland, but sod all use for anyone wanting a European beach holiday. Personal bug bear - Air Malta have stopped flying from Manchester too.

FatGirlWithChocolate Mon 12-Jun-17 07:36:07

I would heartily recommend Jet2, cheaper and a much bigger baggage allowance..we always go with them.

Oblomov17 Mon 12-Jun-17 07:41:09

We are looking too. Taking notes......

HelenMcHelen Mon 12-Jun-17 09:26:52

A decent flight is more important than cost to me I've been to Costa adeje in Tenerife with Jet2 for much less than £4k for five adults. We usually stay in a 4* but not AI.
They fly from Leeds Bradford and East Midlands and include 20k of luggage.

dirtycrispeater Sun 18-Jun-17 12:50:57

Thank you! We have family in Manchester, maybe we could go from there. I will let you know if I find a good deal

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in