Talk

Advanced search

Travel sickness remedies whilst pregnant

(10 Posts)
dirtygrubbybikerchick Wed 07-Jun-17 13:03:00

Hi - I'm a terrible traveller and frequently get travel sick at the drop of a hat in enclosed vehicles (car, plane, bus, train etc). To top it off, I am a migraine sufferer and being nauseous sets headaches and migraines off.

I usually rely on travel sickness pills for journeys longer than 2 hours, and I'm about to travel (5 hour flight). However, I'm currently 15 weeks pregnant (and still suffering short spells of morning sickness) and have been told by 2 pharmacists that I cannot take travel sickness pills or patches whilst pregnant.

Does anyone have any solutions they can suggest? I've tried ginger, sour sweets and pressure wrist bands and still managed to get travel sickness and a migraine that was so bad I had to ditch my connecting flight - and that was before this pregnancy!

AFAIK, the reason the pharmacists won't sell travel sickness pills to me is because they haven't been sufficiently tested on pregnant women. I can't get an appointment with my doctor before my travel date to get proper advice so I'm quite worried at the moment... has anyone who's pregnant been advised by their doctor that it's ok to still take them?

Thanks in advance.

OP’s posts: |
YoureNotASausage Wed 07-Jun-17 13:07:57

You need to see your GP. As far as I understand some of the pregnancy anti sickness meds are the same ones used for travel sickness. Ideally you could get a couple of cyclizine tabs to take just for your journey. But you need to speak to your GP.

No such drugs are fully tested for pregnancy but some are approved on GP advice for certain situations.

NameChange30 Wed 07-Jun-17 13:11:58

Maybe pregnancy-related sickness medication would do the trick, as Youre suggested? I'm sure your GP could prescribe something suitable. (Not surprised a pharmacist won't sell you anything OTC as they have to be cautious.)

dirtygrubbybikerchick Wed 07-Jun-17 13:45:27

Thanks both. Will be trying to get an emergency slot with a GP in the morning as I'm travelling next week, but they're usually so rammed we end up getting the really junior and inexperienced doctors on the emergency rota.

NameChange30 Wed 07-Jun-17 14:44:31

Sometimes junior doctors can be better than the experienced ones, because their training is more recent and they might be more inclined to ask questions and listen properly rather than assuming they know the answers because they've seen it all before wink The most arrogant and dismissive GPs I've come across have been experienced ones!

dirtygrubbybikerchick Wed 07-Jun-17 14:53:34

👍 so let's see 🙂 thanks

Mary21 Wed 07-Jun-17 16:20:19

Ask for a telephone appointment. That can leave a script for you at reception

TakeMe2Insanity Wed 07-Jun-17 21:02:25

Have you tried travel sickness bands. Its worth having an acupuncture session before as the acupuncturist will normally use a specific point on the wrist by measuring. I realised that I had always been putting them in the slightly wrong place so that the pressure was never in the correct place to work iyswim

dirtygrubbybikerchick Thu 08-Jun-17 09:36:28

Thanks. Have not tried acupuncture but have tried the wrist bands without much success. GP was actually amazing today and said go with Cyclizine and is giving me a prescription. Thanks for all the advice.

NameChange30 Thu 08-Jun-17 10:22:30

Great - have a good trip! smile

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in