Talk

Advanced search

Weekend break with kids abroad

(36 Posts)
PinotAndPlaydough Sun 04-Jun-17 20:16:01

Where would people recommend to go away for a special weekend (or long weekend) with a 5 and 3 (will probably be 6 and 4 when we go) year old.
We can't afford a proper holiday abroad at the moment but would love to take them on an aeroplane and get them to experience a different culture.

Obviously don't want a really long flight and don't want to do Disney (eldest hates fair rides so would be a waste of money). Was thinking maybe Amsterdam but not sure how family friendly it would be.

00alwaysbusymum Sun 04-Jun-17 20:24:10

Barcelona ? Lovely beach and amazing buildings the kids would prob enjoy looking at ?

Caprianna Sun 04-Jun-17 20:25:59

Venice is fun for kids as long as they don't fall in the canals.

bakingaddict Sun 04-Jun-17 20:33:09

We did Vienna last year, so much to do with kids. The zoo is ace in Scronnbrun palace, also went to the butterfly gardens and Natural History musuem. Vienna is really compact and easy to navigate on their tube system. Check out euro/German wings as they do cheap flights as well. We flew for £24.99 one way. You can even go to Slovakia for the day as it's only an hour away on the train

allegretto Sun 04-Jun-17 20:35:31

Munich is childfriendly and great for adults too.

BonnesVacances Sun 04-Jun-17 20:35:42

Definitely Barcelona. You can spend a whole day on the Ramblas watching the street artists. Then sit on the tourist bus going around the city so no walking for them. Parc Guell is lovely for them to run about, looking at the mosaics and dragon. And there's the beach. And the Magic Fountain in the evening which should keep their attention. And there is Tibidabo if you can persuade your oldest to like them. Plenty for young children imo.

PinotAndPlaydough Sun 04-Jun-17 20:59:44

If I were to book an airbnb in Barcelona, what area would you say would be best?

OMGtwins Sun 04-Jun-17 21:13:25

Watch yourself for AirBnB in Barcelona, the city council is having a crackdown...

anotherdayanothersquabble Sun 04-Jun-17 21:16:08

We are currently in a youth hostel in Vienna. Superb value! Good food. Room for 4. Loving Vienna!!

chickenjalfrezi Sun 04-Jun-17 21:17:18

Berlin... super cheap hotel rooms, fun to get around on the tram/public transport and lots to do with children

BikeRunSki Sun 04-Jun-17 21:29:46

We had a great time in Copenhagen at Easter. 4 days with dc 5 and 8.

Enidblyton1 Sun 04-Jun-17 21:31:08

We recently stayed in an Airbnb in Barcelona with two children aged 5 and 3. We were quite near the bus station - easy to hop on a bus to Park Guell (although nightmare trying to find a bus back!) and about 20 minds walk from the beach.
Highlights
- eating by the sea in the evening while the children played on the beach
- park guell
- aquarium
- cheap taxis to get around the city

It was a lot of walking for our 5 year old to manage (3yr old was fine because in the pushchair). Wish we had used more taxis from the start.

Tbh I found Barcelona with kids totally exhausting and had a much better time in Venice. I was coming in here to recommend Venice... People might rule it out because they think canals and young children don't mix - but it's absolutely fine. Little walls to prevent falling in!

Highlights of Venice....
- jumping on and off vaporetti (bus boats) to see the sights
- longer boat ride to Murano, famous for glass blowing
- St Marks square/Doges Palace
- wandering through the cobbled streets (and getting lost a few times!)
- beautiful architecture
- the biennale is on this year. You can go into Palazzos that are normally closed to the public and see art displays. Some really wacky art - you could definitely find some which would interest children.

If you go to Venice I'd recommend staying in an apartment on the Dorsoduro - it's quieter, but easy to get to the main attractions.
- great food smile

PinotAndPlaydough Mon 05-Jun-17 14:47:51

anotheday what is the name of the hostel you're staying in?

Mary21 Mon 05-Jun-17 17:05:38

Ds stayed at generator hostel in Barcelona and rated it

BarbaraofSeville Wed 07-Jun-17 16:18:36

Billund in Denmark. You can fly from Stansted very cheaply with Ryanair. A couple of miles away there is the original Legoland. There is also an indoor waterpark, entertainment and restaurant complex and log cabin type accomodation.

You can obviously also hire a car or get a bus to other parts of Denmark - the coast is about an hour away and there's national parks etc and Copenhagen is about 3 hours away I think.

anotherdayanothersquabble Wed 07-Jun-17 19:28:04

www.hihostels.com/hostels/vienna-brigittenau-youtnh-palace

We were staying as part of a group booked by someone else so not sure what the other options were like. Closet to the old town might be better.

Madcats Thu 08-Jun-17 16:47:50

Another vote for Billund (curses silently that the ferry to Esbjerg no longer runs).

Billund has a small international airport. Lalandia is virtually at the end of the runway (the self catering cottages are lovely). Prices tend to drop for the last week of August onwards because most northern European kids are back at school. Legoland is across the road (and they throw open the doors to everybody about an hour before they close - so you can sneak in a couple of rides for free).

There is another camping/holiday park with cheaper accommodation too (but can't remember its name).

Misty9 Thu 08-Jun-17 22:37:21

We recently went to Lisbon on holiday with similar aged kids. I can recommend the airbnb we stayed in, park at the bottom of the hill, old trams were a hit with kids and lovely city/people. Oh, and 20min train to the beach if that's your thing grin

PinotAndPlaydough Fri 09-Jun-17 06:46:16

misty a recommendation would be much appreciated

hellokittymania Fri 09-Jun-17 06:57:32

The Hague actually looks really nice. I'm going for work into weeks time, but looking around, it seems to have some things that would be great for kids and it's also near the beach.

I don't know about the weather though.

Lisbon is a great city. So is Barcelona. I lived in Italy and at one point was living quite close to Venice in Trieste. Venice was always so expensive and ridiculously touristy whenever I would go. I think I would choose one of the other cities over a Venice.

ememem84 Fri 09-Jun-17 07:20:21

Somewhere a bit closer to home and I'm aware you wanted abroad. But have you considered Jersey?

It's lovely here. Beaches galore. Loads of stuff for kids (zoo, dinosaur park, maze park) couple of castles which are super interesting to visit and kid friendly... nice restaurants busses. And although hotels can be pricey there are bnb's self catering etc.

ememem84 Fri 09-Jun-17 07:20:56

Oh and it's only an hour half flight at most. (From places like Manchester) 35/40 minutes from Gatwick.

PinotAndPlaydough Fri 09-Jun-17 07:43:33

emem is it easy to get around without a car? Neither of us drive so good public transport is a must. Also can you recommend a specific area (near a beach would be lovely)

Hoppinggreen Fri 09-Jun-17 07:55:55

Freiburg in The Black Forest.
Lovely town, big enough for plenty to do but small enough to manage with dc. There's a large theme park not far away and you can go to France as well very easily if you want

ememem84 Fri 09-Jun-17 08:21:01

pinot if it was me I'd try and stay within st helier. Busses are frequent from the bus station here to practically anywhere. I don't use the bus much myself as from where I live the times don't really work for work. But when I have used them they're quick and easy to do.

Gorey village is lovely (castle overlooking a harbour and has a very french/holiday feel) st aubins village is super pretty (again holiday feel) walkable from st helier (all flat and about a 3 mile walk - next to the seaaaaa)

St ouens bay is great for surfing, st brelades for watersports - paddle board, kayaks for hire etc. Hotels there too.

I promise I don't work for jersey tourism but I've moved here all my life, up until a few years ago after graduation I hated it but have a new found appreciation for everything we have here. In summer it's a 10 minute stroll to the beach for lunchtime icecreams, I can be home from work in 20 minutes then on the beach in 15.

Temperatures are generally warmer than the mainland uk.... it's safe. And perfect for kids. I'm currently pregnant so am super looking forward to bringing baby boy up by the sea and letting him have the same sort of childhood I did.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now