Talk

Advanced search

Long tour road trip with kids - would you choose Australia, NZ or California / Canada?

(9 Posts)
Summersunny Wed 31-May-17 22:48:16

Just that really!

We're in the early stages of planning an ultimate trip with our young kids (will be age four and age 14 months). We're considering between three and six months.

Which would you pick? Australia, NZ or California / Canada? The current idea is a campervan.

dontcallmethatyoucunt Thu 01-Jun-17 19:19:05

Ultimate for you, or for them? ....frankly I doubt they would care at that age. Where do you want to go, I'd start with that. In my experience of travel with kids that age is that a swimming pool and beach is the only thing that counts, anything too hot is a PITA.

Summerysunny Thu 01-Jun-17 20:47:49

Hmm I guess mainly for us, as they'll be so young that they probably won't remember much, but it's really important that they have just as much fun as we do!

We're choosing to go soon because my toddler starts school next September (in 15 months) and this feels like the last big stretch of free time... my husband and I are lucky (sort of!) in that we work for ourselves so no job would have to be quit.

Kursk Thu 01-Jun-17 20:49:36

In laws are currently planning Canada/Alaska it sounds amazing to us.

California is pretty populated

ShinyGirl Thu 01-Jun-17 20:50:25

Go to whichever appeals most to you. They won't remember it. We did it when mine were older and they can't remember it at all.

We did California.

HanarCantWearSweaters Thu 01-Jun-17 20:51:06

New Zealand! wink We're made for road trips. Best of all different types of landscape, friendly locals, plenty of beaches and forests and fields for the kids to run around in. And a healthy population of campervan-friendly holiday camps and rest spots.

peripateticparents Fri 02-Jun-17 00:20:50

New Zealand if you don't need to have great weather. California if the weather is more important to you ... tho I'd also cross into Nevada for Grand Canyon etc. NZ is outstanding for having good parks etc for kids for when they need a safe run around. But expect twisty turny driving. I'm Australian and I love Australia but bigger distances between everything means harder travelling for the kids. I'm over a year into a travel adventure with 3 kids age 8 down to 1. Been to all 3 places in the last 6 months, tho not in an rv!

dontcallmethatyoucunt Fri 02-Jun-17 07:06:31

I wouldn't be too ambitious. Kids hate being strapped into car seats for 8 hour drives. Looking at the scenery isn't going to happen. I've driven round all except California and I think you'll have to take your time.

We have just driven round Cuba with our DD 8 & 6 and we had to compromise, but they were pretty good, much more each action than we'd usually include. Next summer we are driving round Iceland and again we're not covering the ground we would on our own, nor doing all the activities. Thermal swimming pools will feature every day, not just once. Travel with kids is great, but it's different, but I'm sure you've realised that. Better than not going at all though!

dontcallmethatyoucunt Fri 02-Jun-17 07:07:02

* beach actin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now