Talk

Advanced search

Spending money

(6 Posts)
McDougal Wed 31-May-17 19:32:02

We're going on holiday for ten days to southern Spain on Sunday and we've booked an apartment via Owners Direct.

Can anyone tell me their own experience of this type of holiday and if you spent any less than a package self catering holiday?

Our plan is to do a 'big shop' when we get there complete with ice lollies we can shove in the freezer in the apartment (so hoping that will save spending when we're out and about. We'll only be going out for one meal per day, probably lunch and there is me, DH and 4 year old DD.

Help?

BarbaraofSeville Fri 02-Jun-17 09:13:47

Not sure what you're asking?

You've booked flights, transfer/car hire and an apartment, all separately.

Or you could have booked the same thing, although probably a transfer rather than a hire car, as a package?

So the main costs on top will be your food and drink, which is independent of how you booked your holiday - in both cases you have accomodation and flights so need to sort out your food.

We also holiday quite a lot in southern Spain and a good way to save is to look out for restaurants that serve Menu del Dia which is generally a fixed price 2 course lunch with a drink from a limited menu (say 3 or 4 choices for each course), which usually costs under 10 euros.

Getting a big shop in a supermarket is a good way to save, drinks and ice creams etc are much cheaper than from bars or small shops. You can also then make easy meals or barbecue in the evening if you don't want to eat out again, which you probably won't after a big lunch. Or you could have a drink or two and might get free tapas, or you can buy them cheaply too.

mysteryfairy Fri 02-Jun-17 09:53:38

I wouldn't do a big shop as in a weeks worth as it's harder than at home to predict what you will need/fancy. Plan to go every couple of days.

Have a think about things that it might be worth taking from home e.g. I always take decaf teabags as they are hard to buy. I know my mum decants some olive oil to a little bottle to avoid having to buy a massive amount of it.

Work out if there is aldi or Lidl you can get to. It will be so much cheaper for things like ice lollies, bottled water etc.

McDougal Fri 02-Jun-17 10:21:41

The main question was, as we have a 'proper' apartment as opposed to a self catering apartment in a hotel which usually only has half a kitchen, would we save money with regards to typical holiday spending?

It seems from your answers that we might be able to so thank you both.

I'm not sure about an Aldi or Lidl being close but know there's a mercadona (?) not far so hoping that will be cheaper than eating out all the time.

I think I'll have a rough plan of what we'll be eating and shop accordingly and definitely will be looking out for the menu del dia when we're out and about.

It's been so long since we've been on holiday, I've forgotten how to do it!

BarbaraofSeville Fri 02-Jun-17 10:31:21

Ah, I see.

Mercadona is great, my favourite proper Spanish supermarket, where locals shop. Fabulous fish counters, fresh bread and good value.

McDougal Fri 02-Jun-17 10:58:38

Sounds like my kind of supermarket. We always prefer going to places used by the locals rather than all of the British places and I can't wait for tapas!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now