Talk

Advanced search

Royal Brunei airline

(8 Posts)
RBtraveller Sun 28-May-17 13:56:05

Hi, any reviews for Royal Brunei? Looking to go from London to Melbourne.

I know they don't serve alcohol on board but there's mixed info online about whether you're allowed to BYO. Not a deal breaker either way.

Thanks!

RBtraveller Sun 28-May-17 15:38:54

Hopeful bump.

PoochSmooch Sun 28-May-17 15:46:46

It wasn't that great in my experience. I went business class from London to Auckland, which was great value, but they operate more like a budget airline. we had a long delay at the airport in Brunei as they had a plane out with technical difficulties. The replacement plane they then flew us on was terrifyingly ancient- very rickety, and with those old fashioned central tv screens where they show one movie per flight.

I didn't care about the no alcohol ban, and didn't try to take my own so can't comment there. I wouldn't fly them again- customer service and fleet jist aren't up to it and when it's long haul, when it goes wrong, it's dreadful! I'd rather fork out for a flight with a more reputable airline, it's a false economy.

RBtraveller Sun 28-May-17 15:54:20

Eek! That's not promising...

imip Sun 28-May-17 15:56:54

Really liked them. Very considerate travelling with children. Flew from London to Melbourne with two stops and it was a great way to have 3 shorter flights rather than a really long and shorter flight.

Dd was very plane sick and they were really great with her and us. No more or less than other airlines. We do the London/Melbourne route a lot being Australians who live in London (15 years now).

RBtraveller Sun 28-May-17 16:05:14

{Waves to fellow Aussie}

One vote in either corner. Which seems to tally up with what I've read online too. Either fab or crap experiences.

We could go with Emirates but their fares are £600+ more between three people and we'd have to shuffle travel dates to get those prices, on our actual proposed dates it's hugely more expensive.

imip Sun 28-May-17 17:00:32

grin if you're travelling with dcs, I really rate the 3 leg journey. And the prices are better, it's what swayed us as we need to pay accommodation as our parents live 7 hours apart.

I did miss the wine. I do like a glass or two with meals when flying. If money is an issue, I would go the cheaper flight. Flying 24 hours is never fun!

RBtraveller Sun 28-May-17 18:38:22

We could afford it, but as you say, 24 hours on a flight is the same whether you're in a slightly upmarket plane or not! Yes, I am a bit tight

That money would either pay for DS's nursery fees while we are gone or our car hire while over there.

Will have a good chat with DH as he's a bit less able to deal with crap service than I, and see whether he wants to splash out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now