Talk

Advanced search

British couple countersued for false sickness claims

(18 Posts)
bevelino Sun 28-May-17 10:38:12

I hope the couple do not lose their home, but in the past it was too easy for people to falsely claim they were sick as they didn't have to prove that they were ill. The law has now been clarified and claimants can expect hotels, tour operators and insurers resisting claims and countersuing the fraudsters.

I hold the greedy claims management companies and certain law firms responsible for fueling the boom in false travel sickness claims. I had one such company approach my family in a resort and they invited us to claim even though we were not ill at all.

AllTheWittyNamesAreGone Sun 28-May-17 10:40:14

Ive got no sympathy. They committed fraud plain and simple

Asmoto Sun 28-May-17 10:50:37

I hold the greedy claims management companies and certain law firms responsible for fueling the boom in false travel sickness claims.

Why? Do you think it's beyond people to say "No, I don't need to make a claim?" Make no mistake, the greed and dishonesty of the public is what's responsible for the boom in false claims of all descriptions.

Anasnake Sun 28-May-17 10:55:45

Totally their own fault, they didn't have to claim anything. They lied and got caught, tough.

AnyFucker Sun 28-May-17 11:00:46

I have been approached many times by various varieties of ambulance chaser

Never once did it turn me into a person who makes fraudulent claims

These companies wouldn't exist if there was not a public appetite for getting summat for nowt

AgentProvocateur Sun 28-May-17 11:01:51

It's not the claims management companies' fault - it's the fault of this greedy dishonest couple (and others like them) and while I don't want to see anyone lose their home, maybe it would be a warning to anyone else who is thinking about committing fraud in the future.

AyeAmarok Sun 28-May-17 11:02:24

It's nobody's fault but the fraudsters.

Asmoto Sun 28-May-17 11:05:03

Irrelevant but everyone so far who has posted on this thread has a name beginning with A grin

Bluntness100 Sun 28-May-17 11:07:24

I think you're wrongly allocating blame. It's very easy to say no, I have nothing to claim for. I get phone calls, approached, whatever and I've never felt the need to enter a false claim. This couple are saying now they were sick for a day, three years ago. But never told the resort, oh and were happily consuming lots of food and drink throughout said illness. In a resort they had been to three times and apparently loved.

However I don't think they deserve to lose their home over it. But there does need to be a punishment for folks who try to extortion money like this.

Bluntness100 Sun 28-May-17 11:07:52

And now are the Bs 😂

bevelino Sun 28-May-17 11:15:50

The couple are clearly at fault and deserve to be sued. However, the ambulance chasers do a fine job in convincing people to make false claims.

AnyFucker Sun 28-May-17 11:20:24

There are always vulnerable people who are targeted by these companies

I don't think this is an example of that though

I agree the fact they exist at all is a fucking disgrace

ClumsyFool Sun 28-May-17 12:21:02

Agree with anyfucker, being approached by these companies doesn't mean you have to lose all your morals and lie. I was approached following an accident I had where I broke a bone, purely because it was in an entertainment venue. I wasn't about to try and rip someone off when it was actually just an accident and a result of me being a clumsy fucker!!
It wasn't their fault, it genuinely was just one of those things but the company hounding me to make a claim didn't suddenly make me become a money grabber.

It's people that lie and act fraudently that make things more difficult and expensive for the rest of us.

Dailystuck71 Sun 28-May-17 16:05:33

I hope they are made an example of to be honest.

ExplodedCloud Sun 28-May-17 16:10:03

Is there a link?
That's the E sorted

LedaP Sun 28-May-17 16:17:40

Is it really that hard to say 'no i dont have a claim'

This couple committed fraud. Simple as. Being sued is the risk you take when you claim against someone falsely.

Is there proof the company who handled their claim knew they were lying? If so the shoulder some of the blame. But nowhere near all or most of it.

insancerre Sun 28-May-17 16:18:54

Leda!
You spoilt it
I was waiting for my turn
smile

ExplodedCloud Sun 28-May-17 16:21:45

Shall I post again to restore order?
Now we need Fanjo

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now