Talk

Advanced search

Anyone been on holiday alone?

(19 Posts)
fedupandnogin Fri 26-May-17 18:13:41

Children spending a week with their dad in the summer. Wondering whether to go away myself. Anyone done this? Any advice?

CrunchieFeeling Fri 26-May-17 18:17:44

Yep. Been to the Amalfi coast, Cuba, Orlando and Austria on my own. Loved it. Would love to do it again.

You'll have a great time if you like your own company (I Do!) And I even met my current DP on the last holiday - ten years and 2 kids later... It was so empowering going away on my own. Go and have a lovely time!

SooticaTheWitchesCat Fri 26-May-17 19:07:41

Yes, I did. I went to Bitez in Turkey, a place I knew well before I went so I felt comfortable there.

starlight36 Fri 26-May-17 19:37:01

I used to go away alone but on Exodus trips - mix of single travellers, friends and couples. A pretty wide range of ages too. My trips were usually two weeks or more but I think they did shorter European trips.

Imbroglio Fri 26-May-17 19:41:17

Yes. Would also recommend Exodus. I've also had retreat holidays which are good to do solo.

fedupandnogin Sat 27-May-17 07:19:15

I don't mind my own company. I think eating alone is when you feel most self-conscious. I'm just wondering on the best sort of holiday to go on. I did have a look at Exodus funnily enough but not sure it would be suitable for the specific dates I have available.

Whathaveilost Sat 27-May-17 07:23:28

I go away by myself several times a year.
Last year I went to France, Hungary, Lithuania and Austria by myself. This year I have been to Norway and Spain.
I tend to book places that offer breakfast and just get a light lunch or tea.

I love going away with my family but I am happy with my own company as well.

beekeeper17 Sat 27-May-17 07:44:36

I went on lots of solo holidays when I was single, loved seeing new places. I mainly did trips like exodus as you're guaranteed to meet other people, usually a mix of singles, couples and friends, and usually quite likeminded. And I did mainly walking type trips so it was much easier having all the organisation done for you. There are other similar companies so have a look around.

Eating alone on holiday doesn't bother me at all, I usually take a good book and enjoy a nice glass of wine. Wouldn't want to do it at home though.

Have fun! Am pretty jealous as I now have a baby and solo holidays like that are a thing of the past for me!

beekeeper17 Sat 27-May-17 07:47:29

Have a look at Intrepid and Explore too.

feesh Sat 27-May-17 07:49:18

Yes, I do a Swimtrek holiday every year and then spend a few days by myself before/after. Bliss!

Hulder Sun 28-May-17 11:09:34

Yep, for years before I met DH.

Best advice I had about eating alone was to take a book. Much better and then started just going to restaurants I wanted to go to, rather than just living off snacks.

Going to places that have big open air events also works well as you often end up chatting to the people sitting next to you eg open air theatre, big free cinema screens etc.

Went to Krakow and booked day trips etc by myself that were usually booked as a group - it was great as I basically had a personal guide and the guide loved being able to really share their knowledge with someone who was interested instead of having to do the standard spiel they gave to a bigger group.

Otherwise it's just lots of fun as you can set your own pace and can do as much or as little as you please and there is no-one to tell you that they are tired, or not interested in that museum or whatever.

helpfulperson Sun 28-May-17 11:47:49

Think about what you mean by going on holiday alone. Do you want a group holiday where it's likely that there will be other singles and someone will organise everything for you and there will always be someone to eat with? Or do you want to do your own thing? I've done both and enjoy both in a different way.

MrsPeelyWaly Sun 28-May-17 11:52:14

Im on my own after a marriage lasting 40 years. I love the travelling I do and amongst other places Ive been whale watching in Alaska, travelled the length of Italy jumping on and off trains, done 3 cruises, been to Kenya a few times, been to the states 3 times, been to the Caribbean.

Next year Im doing South Africa as my main holiday with a few breaks in between that I wont decide on till a few days before I want to travel.

MrsPeelyWaly Sun 28-May-17 11:54:30

Sorry OP, I dont go with a holiday company. I just sit and build a holiday myself via google. And eating out is not a problem because I generally find that restaurant staff go out of their way to make a lone traveller feel at ease.

CRbear Sun 28-May-17 11:56:51

I'm going away alone for the first time tomorrow- on a G Adventures tour to Vietnam. I felt like I wanted the support of s tour the first time but if it's a success I'll be doing it properly solo. It's very empowering and I'm excited about being able to do whatever I want without consulting a travel buddy

Whathaveilost Sun 28-May-17 23:07:46

All you needis Skyscanner and either booking.dotcom or Travago and you can plan some great adventures. I think the hardest thing is making the decision to actually go ahead and do it.

fedupandnogin Tue 30-May-17 08:16:43

Some brilliant advice here. Thanks everyone!

nannyafrica Tue 30-May-17 09:29:21

I went on my own on a Explore trip to Ghana and that's were I met my husband!!!! (I didn't go looking for one)
I also joined a trip from Spain all the way down to Cape Town over land then did Cairo to Cape Town!
I was very quiet and shy person but made myself go on one of these trips. I am no longer that person!

M1nesasweetsh3rry Tue 30-May-17 19:17:21

Yes been away a few times alone. I usually do a long weekend. Really

love just doing my own thing, and suiting myself.

I've done city breaks and a beach resort.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now