Talk

Advanced search

Going to Disneyland Paris in a couple of months...

(29 Posts)
DisneylandDreams Tue 23-May-17 19:08:04

with DH, DD (18), DS (8) and DS (6). Both DS's live with Autism. What have I forgotten to do? I have passports, EHICs, car insurance (but need to check whether it covers Europe, which I don't think it does,) Green Flag Breakdown (same, I don't think Europe's covered), will take a print-out of the DLP booking. Have travel insurance with the holiday, but do I need to cover anything in the event of an accident/breakdown other than the car insurance/green flag? Haven't been abroad in years, so I've forgotten it all!
DH is sorting out the French car requirements, like the road triangles/high-vis jackets etc that you need to have in the car. Am booking the eurotunnel at the end of the month. Have ordered the shorts, trainers/sandals/swimming costumes and they're all here. I think I need to get a letter from the doctor to 'prove' DS 1 & 2's SN, as their DLA letters are more than 3 months old. I was thinking of borrowing or buying a MacLaren Major, as DS (6) can get quite tired on occasion, but DH says he'll just put DS on his shoulders if that's the case - I think he's just in denial that DS might need a little extra help from time to time, and I remember from last time that there's a LOT of walking at DLP.
Other than the above, I was going to get a first-aid kit together, suncream and toiletries, and pack a massive bag of snacks and drinks for the week. Can anyone think of anything I've forgotten, or that I obviously need to do but haven't realised? :D

MooPointCowsOpinion Tue 23-May-17 19:14:47

It's a nightmare getting calpol or equivalent in France, pack some of the little one dose sachets.
There are water fountains all over the park so take comparable bottles, and some of that squash in the tiny squeezey travel bottles. All food/drink there is so expensive. You could make up snack packs for each day to save money.
Autograph books with a chunky pen so it's easy for the characters to hold. You can buy them there if you prefer but get them early in your trip so you can get everyone you meet in it.

Earmuffs/sound excluders would be good if noise bothers your younger two with autism, the firework show is loud.

It's worth getting a good spot for the parade about half hour/hour before it starts so a blanket to sit on, drawing and colouring things to do for the younger two.

Adapter plugs, they're two pin plugs over there.

Kids dressed in costumes can get special treatment, like meetings with characters or fast passed to the front of ride queues.

What hotel are you in?

There's a Disneyland Paris for Brits Facebook page that covers literally everything you could think of.

MooPointCowsOpinion Tue 23-May-17 19:15:37

Also - You can hire pushchairs there, they're really wide so your 6 year old would fit in. It's 15 euros a day, so if he gets tired you've got that as an option!

purplepopple Tue 23-May-17 19:17:18

You can rent buggies at Disneyland, they aren't suitable for tiny babies but would be fine for your six year old.
Have you a meal deal with your booking? If so you can book your restaurants (never done this personally as we go with the flow and don't take a plan).
You might want to think about taking snacks with you as expensive in the park and obviously different brands from home if that's an issue... Calpol? Suncream?
There's a shop at the train station you can get snacks, juice etc in cheaper than the park and a massive Auchen supermarket at val d'europe one train stop away.
Love Disneyland Paris, hope you have an amazing time!!

TheSconeOfStone Tue 23-May-17 20:02:33

I've been to DLP with my DD who is on the spectrum. I didn't bother with a letter for proving her SN as she doesn't do too badly with queues and I read that they may not let the whole family have priority. Splitting up the two DDs wasn't something we wanted to do.

I did loads of research so I could answer DD's questions before we got there. We didn't find it difficult to find a quiet spot if necessary.

Try not to get too stressed about it. Me and DH can be anxious at times, let alone autistic DD, but we all had a fantastic time on our two visits to DLP. The DLP Guide website is amazing for planning.

TheSconeOfStone Tue 23-May-17 20:04:00

If you do forget something essential it's one stop on the train to the massive shopping mall and supermarket.

DisneylandDreams Wed 24-May-17 08:36:00

Ah, that's brilliant - thank you guys! I hadn't thought of calpol sachets, but yes, much better than taking a bottle! We have one pair of ear defenders, but I'll get another one, and then not worry about the pushchair - I knew they had then, but just wasn't sure if DS would fit. We're staying at the Newport Bay in a Compass Club room, so that will be lovely, as last time we went (in 2008) we stayed at the not-quite-as-nice-but-perfectly-fine Cheyenne. Looking forward to having a touch of luxury!
We've booked some of the restaurants, but the ones we want to go to don't all take meal plans or bookings. We've booked to go to the hotel buffet restaurant on the first evening (as we didn't think DS1 would eat the menu at the posher one), the Silver Spur steakhouse, the Restaurant des Stars and then we'll go to the Rainforest Cafe on the last day at lunchtime for a big lunch as we really enjoyed it there last time, and then go to the Earl of Sandwich to stock up before leaving. Can you tell I'm excited? :D The last (and only) holiday we've had with all of us was a rainy week in Camber Sands two years ago, so DH and I are excited to be going again! smile

LateToTheParty Wed 24-May-17 08:49:03

I know you've said DH is doing the car stuff, but this might be relevant- vehicle emissions sticker:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/travel/2017/03/driving-to-france-check-now-if-you-need-a-new-emissions-sticker-to-avoid-a-possible-100-fine

I don't have any personal experience, just saw it on the MSE email this morning.

DisneylandDreams Wed 24-May-17 09:25:10

ooh, thanks for that - I don't think we're planning to go inside the orbital road, but I'll check, and make sure we get a sticker if we think we'll be likely to - I know DD would really love to go to Paris for the day, but I'm not sure we'll be able to, (and I don't want to end up spending money on park tickets and not using them,) but definitely useful! smile

Starduke Wed 24-May-17 09:32:47

It's not a nightmare getting calpol in France (it's called Doliprane and esaily available) but it does taste different to calpol so I'd definitely take your normal meds.

Also stuff like savlon and plaster just cos it's easier to already have them (and I haven't found an equivalent to savlon yet!)

Take lightweight longsleeve tops to wear - there isn't always a huge amount of shade and sometimes in queues you can be in the sun for a long time.

Floralnomad Wed 24-May-17 09:39:38

Don't forget you need a breathalyser in the car kit , and make sure you have the high vis jackets accessible from inside the car , not in the boot . Definitely get the letters for the priority passes they are absolutely worth having especially if you are out there on a weekend .

FlaviaAlbia Wed 24-May-17 09:43:09

If you can pack your own buggy I'd definitely consider it. The queues for returning pushchairs each night when the park shut were a bit mad and the daily cost was a bit pricey. Though if you're in a Disney hotel you may not have to return it each night.

Priton syrup in case of heat rash is handy.

DisneylandDreams Thu 25-May-17 06:01:15

ooh, all good points, so thank you. We have a half-board meal plan, and breakfast comes with the room, but have also budgeted about 20 euros each a day for lunch - is that going to be enough, do you reckon?

joangray38 Thu 25-May-17 06:19:55

Blue badge/ proof of disability so you can get a pass to jump queues / stand in designated places at the parade so it isn't as stressful. You go to the main hall at dlp and they give you a pass.

FlaviaAlbia Thu 25-May-17 10:22:31

It was about €17 for a hotdog and chips at Annette's diner. I was shock

I think it probably would be enough, it'll even out with the kids deals if you get them.

Floralnomad Thu 25-May-17 10:50:21

That budget will be fine if you eat at places like Caseys corner / Hyperion cafe and have things like nuggets / hotdogs .

A1Sharon Thu 25-May-17 18:56:15

Op we had meal vouchers and you were able to use these for rrom service. It was brilliant!

A1Sharon Thu 25-May-17 18:56:33

Sorry, room service.

DisneylandDreams Sat 27-May-17 15:25:35

Wow, I didn't realise you could use the vouchers for room service! And yes, I just figured we'd go to the Market Deli/Toad Hall/Cafe des Cascadeurs etc for the non-voucher meals. I'm a little confused though, because the visitors' guide I just received by email says we get a 'pause gourmande' (hot/cold drink and a donut/mini-magnum in the park or the hotel) every day, but I've seen somewhere else that they've stopped doing that - although I guess it's not going to make much difference to the grand scheme of things - I very much doubt we'll manage a big continental breakfast, a burger/hot-dog and chips for lunch, a tea, AND a 3-course dinner! That's a huge amount for us! smile

katronfon Sat 27-May-17 15:35:27

Getting paracetamol/calpol in France isn't exactly a nightmare, as pp has said, BUT actually it isn't easy like it is in UK because it's pharmacy only (I think) so you can't pick it up at the supermarket (I don't think). This means that it IS a bit of a nightmare at Disneyland Paris because you have to go to val d'europe to a pharmacy (bus or train) which, while straightforward, eats into valuable park time. You can get it in the park but only one dose to be taken there and then (so if, for example DC woke up poorly you wouldn't be able to fact it for them). So definitely take some!

katronfon Sat 27-May-17 15:37:38

I think only one person can accompany green pass holder at parades (each obviously) so you wouldn't all be able to use the designated space. However one could stand outside the rope. That said, I'm not certain the designated space is better/quieter than elsewhere.

Babbaganush Sat 27-May-17 17:59:50

Only one adult can be with each child in the special parade area - DH stood further back and I was at the front with the children - it was well worth it as the characters all came over and interacted with ds. I bought a lanyard and plastic holder to put the special green disabled pass in and ds was able to wear it around the park which was so much easier than having to keep putting in in and out of a bag, also means the staff immediately identify you - they were fantastic with ds!!!
(the pass is aprox A5 size)

DisneylandDreams Sat 27-May-17 20:35:52

thanks for these tips - I've tried to join the DLP for Brits group on fb but I don't think they've accepted me yet but I'll take another look later - at the moment we're trying to decide whether to get the overnight ferry (meaning we'll arrive at DLP for around 9-10ish, but may have safety worries as there's only an outside cabin available, and DH is worried that DS2 will somehow escape and jump overboard.) OR whether to get the tunnel in the morning - either way we'd have to get up around 5ish, but we wouldn't get to DLP until lunchtime that way. Decisions decisions! smile

Babbaganush Sat 27-May-17 21:32:16

Outside cabin just means you have a window or porthole that is sealed - no chance of escape!!!! You enter the cabin via the internal corridor.

DisneylandDreams Sat 27-May-17 23:55:54

Ah, ok! I had visions of having to walk along the deck to get to the door of the cabin, so that's made me feel much better!! Thank you!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now