Talk

Advanced search

Good place to stop about 2 or 3 hours south of Calais?

(13 Posts)
Muchtoomuchtodo Mon 22-May-17 22:26:41

We're going to be driving to The Alps this summer and will be taking 2 days to complete the journey.

We've never done anything like this before and I've got no idea where to start with looking for somewhere to stay. There will be 4 of us and we'll want somewhere comfortable before we complete the journey the next day.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

citykat Tue 23-May-17 23:51:49

Reims. There's an area called Tinquex just off the motorway with all sorts of cheap hotels. Or Tours. Look under the Skiing section here, lots if stopover info .

coldflange Thu 25-May-17 06:16:47

Last year we stopped off in Arras. However it's only just over an hour from Calais - so it depends how far you want to get into the journey. Nice town to walk around with lots of restaurants and bars to spend your first evening.

One year we went to Epernay. Unfortunately we arrived too late for any of the champagne house tours. Still enjoyed a nice meal with champagne though for dinner - that's nearer to 3 hours drive.

I tend to just look at the maps online and pick a spot by distance, then research a little to make sure that there will be something to see, do and eat - then book a hotel. We have a long drive in the UK before hitting the ferry ports so I always factor in a stop off in France.

Muchtoomuchtodo Thu 25-May-17 22:06:56

Thanks.

Gives me a good idea of where to start.

didireallysaythat Thu 25-May-17 22:10:03

Rouen is nice.

CardinalSin Fri 26-May-17 13:47:15

A couple of years ago, we stopped at the Hotel Ibis Reims Thillois on our way to Provence.

It's cheap and cheerful (would have been better had our 2 year old been willing to go to sleep), and literally less than 5 minutes from the motorway. There are a few chain restaurants in the estate too.

There are a few other hotels in the vicinity, which seemed to be a good place to stop time-wise without having to go far out of your way.

Sittinginthesun Fri 26-May-17 13:50:39

On route to the Alps, lots of people stop over at Troyes. Nice place, good restaurants etc.

citykat Fri 26-May-17 14:06:48

Troyes is where I meant when I typed Tourswink

OldLagNewName Fri 26-May-17 20:26:52

Not Rouen for the Alps - completely the wrong direction! Reims, as others have said. There's a Novotel in Tinqueux with an outdoor pool and a restaurant. Or the budget option but still en-suite that we usually go for, B&B Hotels chain - family rooms take 4 people and some of them have the kids' beds on a mezzanine above, so it doesn't feel so much as if you are all sleeping in the same room. Pretty good cheap breakfasts too.

If separate rooms is a priority, and you don't mind not having an ensuite bathroom, you could go for the Formula 1 chain and get two rooms for pretty much the price of a family room somewhere more upmarket. The rooms wouldn't have interconnecting doors though, so you might have to be one adult and one child per room. Formula 1 is fine, IME, as long as you are not expecting a 'hotel' kind of experience. Their rooms only take 3, not 4.

Nicer and much more French are Chambres d'Hote which you can find on Booking.com (B&B places, pretty much - usually a room or two in someone's house) but they are rarely as close to the motorway so less good for getting to your destination as quickly as possible - it depends which you want to prioritise. You usually get really amazing breakfasts in Chambre d'hotes, although possibly not until after the local boulangerie has opened for fresh bread and croissants, so not so good for an early get away. We stayed in one last year with a wonderful garden and a trampoline, which was great for kids who'd spent 6 hours in the car. Speaking a bit of French is a help with these, but you can get by with sign language and Google Translate for the initial booking.

Last summer we went from Chalons-en-Champagne (just a bit south of Reims) to Samoens (in the Alps) in a day, so you might not need a second night on the road - only about 5 1/2 hours driving between the two.

Planning the stop-overs is one of my favourite bits of a holiday to France, so apologies for the long answer! Have fun!

Muchtoomuchtodo Sat 27-May-17 15:40:04

Thanks, the Novotel in Tinqueux looks ideal in terms of location (I think - hard to know when we've not done the drive before) and having a pool and small park for the kids.

Just looking around for the best price / any discounts now.

eddoc Wed 07-Jun-17 13:45:12

We always stop here www.le-val-moret.com/en/ when we drive to the alps. It's got a pool, is right by the autoroute and has a decent restaurant.

MarysPlace Fri 23-Jun-17 21:11:42

We have done Kyriad in Dijon with pool on the way down, Troyes on the way back

MarysPlace Fri 23-Jun-17 21:14:17

Also think about security when you park overnight, and what your holiday insurance covers in terms of theft from a car.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now