We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

In car entertainment - not screens!

(9 Posts)
PilatesQueen Mon 22-May-17 16:09:41

Hi there, we're travelling 7 hrs to holiday destination in the car on Saturday. Fun times... Does anyone have any good recommendations for car colouring sets/ in car games/ gadgets which do not involve watching TV? Kids are 7, 5 and 3. We can obviously get the iPad out if necessary and play all the usual 'I Spy' type games, but if anyone has any useful ideas of things I can buy cheaply on Amazon that would be useful!
Many thanks

skyzumarubble Mon 22-May-17 16:10:37

Sticker books, food, audio stories

BackforGood Mon 22-May-17 16:12:30

7 hours???
<feels pain>

Hopefully you can time it so they will sleep for some?

Do you mean things like magnetic board games so 2 can play without all the pieces falling off?
Or family games people have like pub cricket (although prob only the oldest would cope with that?)

PilatesQueen Mon 22-May-17 16:15:35

Thanks @Skyzumarubble - sticker books good idea. Audio stories also good.

@BackForGood - yes I mean magnetic board games, that kind of thing. Not the 'verbal car games' - basically different things to distract them and keep them quiet for a while without having to get a screen out.

2014newme Mon 22-May-17 16:16:36

Dvd player. You'll never look back.

2014newme Mon 22-May-17 16:17:13

What's wrong with screens online journey seriously you're making life hard for all of you.

Seeline Mon 22-May-17 16:20:21

I used to make up bingo-type games for things to spot as you go along.
You can vary it for the different ages so for the little one it could be a red car/tractor/horse type thing, while the older one could have road signs/makes of car etc. Use pictures and/or words depending on ability.

PilatesQueen Mon 22-May-17 16:21:05

@2014newme Nothing is wrong with screens whatsoever and we will definitely be using them during the journey, I just want some other options so that kids are watching TV for 7 hrs!! They'd be very happy doing that but I'd like to have some other 'exciting' options which are nearly as good as TV!

Hollyandtheiveee Wed 24-May-17 06:23:43

Galt do some brilliant water colouring pads that we always take. We've also used their travel mosaics sticker sets.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now